Money Is Not Your Only Worry At Retirement

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Nearing retirement, I am beginning to find out that my personal finance is just one part of the whole equation - the harder issue for me is how I will be spending all that free time.  What am I going to do there in the Philippines?  What is that one thing that will keep me motivated to wake up every morning?

Right now, I am driven by my vision to retire comfortably there so that goal drives me at my job and keeps me saving for future investments.  I am on track to retire in 2017.  But once retired, what's next?  Lounge by the pool drinking San Miguel's all day long?  You know the saying, "your either climbing or declining..."

This unexpected dilemma has redirected my plans a bit and will require some soul searching on my part to find my one true passion - and no... falling in love with a beautiful Filipina does'nt count!  And yes, I do have many hobbies, but I don't think it will be enough... hobbies and relationships cannot substitute a sense of accomplishment that is oftem provided by a job well done.  I believe it is very important to find an answer before committing to retirement and making the move there.

Any advice from fellow expats on how you handled a similar situation is greatly appreciated.

Bows00

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted (edited)

Start a campaign to eradicate corruption in the Philippines. It will keep you occupied for the rest of your life. FAT CHANCE! :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Daydreamer
  • Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
Or shorten it abruptly with a well placed bullet
:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: That is so true!
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Right now, I am contemplating getting involved with a local church, or provide English tutoring for Korean residence there.  Last time I was there I was surprised how many Koreans there are in the Philippines...  maybe there is a market for this?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

My goals are simple;

Brew 20L beer every week

Pick which direction to go on my bike 3-5X per week

Do some minor decorative/vegetable growing 

Daily doses of my hot wife :D

Worthy goals!  53.3 stubbies (small bottles) or 26.6 of what we in Aust call Longnecks!

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I got the 1L bottles with the european caps on them :) enough for a batch at a time. All my friends here are ready to donate 330ml local bottles for normal rebottling. :)

Beer is the foundation of civilization :) cheers!

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Right now, I am contemplating getting involved with a local church, or provide English tutoring for Korean residence there.  Last time I was there I was surprised how many Koreans there are in the Philippines...  maybe there is a market for this?

Korean companies control the English tutoring market. The reason they are in the Philippines is the availability of cheap English speaking teachers. They will pay in the P200 to P300 an hour range for an American teacher, less if your are Filipino. If the students cancel, you don't get paid even if the cancellation is at the last minute.  

AllenInWV
Posted
Posted

No matter where I retire to, I think I will spend my time sightseeing. Aside from the financial benefits to going to a new part of the world, I expect learning the culture and checking out the new sites will fill my time.

LOL I would love a "hot wife", but if I'm still single at 60, I can't imagine I'll be dating.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

My whole point here is that the things you mention - sightseeing, culture, new sites.... will eventually grow old, really fast... it would not be enough to keep me happy and fulfilled for the rest of my retired life - even at 60! 

And why not get a hot wife at 60???  I don't see why you would limit yourself in that area.  Isn't that one of the biggest benefits of retiring there???

But in that respect, if you want a hot wife, I know enough to realize that you can only give and keep your wife happy only if your tank is full, and you are content with your life there... am I making any sense? lol... still nursing a hangover from a new years party...

BTW.... HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL!  Love this forum!

• Like 2