Import Duty And Taxes Importing Into Philippines

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

According to the second tax calculator they will add the cost of shipping to import tax. Is that correct?

http://customs.gov.ph/

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Philippines/

Import duty & tax rates

You classified Laptop computer as Laptops, PCs & Tablets -> Laptop / Notebook. Based on this classification, the import duty rate for importing a Laptop computer into is 0%. The import VAT rate for a Laptop computer is 12%.

Calculation example

The actual import duty & taxes due are determined by the value of the product and the cost of importing. Here is an example calculation for import duty & taxes for importing a Laptop computer into Philippines from United States:

Product value: PhP39082.10   Shipping costs: PhP8594.73   Insurance costs: PhP5665.96   Total import value: PhP53342.79   Import duty @ 0%: PhP0.00   Import VAT @ 12%: PhP6401.13   Total import duty & VAT: PhP6401.13  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thats what it says so they got ya by the balls.  :)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Import VAT @ 12%: PhP6401.13

Anywhere else in the World, we only pay VAT once. If VAT is paid in the US,  you should be able to claim the PI  VAT back, as long as you can produce the original Invoice from the sale.

Of course we all know where we are, so I feel a fool, for even posting this  :no:

:tiphat:

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Import VAT @ 12%: PhP6401.13

Anywhere else in the World, we only pay VAT once. If VAT is paid in the US,  you should be able to claim the PI  VAT back, as long as you can produce the original Invoice from the sale.

Of course we all know where we are, so I feel a fool, for even posting this  :no:

:tiphat:

The EXPORTER don't pay VAT in the country it's exported from (=if he has paid any, that is deducted in the VAT tax report for that period)

so buyer is supposed to get that VAT  sum as DISCOUNT.

(I'm talking about when the seller is a VAT registrated company.)

Edited by Thomas

Mike S
Posted
Posted
According to the second tax calculator they will add the cost of shipping to import tax. Is that correct?

In my case that was correct ..... they went by the total of the amount that was shipped including the shipping cost .... my $39.99 MagicJack ended up costing me almost $89 with having it sent to my mail forwarder and then from the US to here .... ALL charges were taxed by the BOC ..... won't make that mistake again .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Best way to ship is still the Balikbayan box. Simply declare the contents as "Household Items." Adding the shipping cost as part of the import tax is insane.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I have shipped a few laptops and other things via LBC Air Cargo before. All packages shipped air are checked by the LBC counter person before sealing up. They have a list of "Taxable" items. This extra fee is supposed to take care of the Import duty and other taxes. Fee's ranged from like 12usd for a simple camera to around 54usd for a PC, Monitor and mouse setup. Never had any problems or issues.

A friend sent a 5 year old laptop to his girlfriend via FedEx. Do not remember the exact shipping charge but I knew he was pissed about getting a bill for almost $800 for import taxes! He had a choice of having it returned at his expense or pay the tax.  

Only way I would ship anything is via LBC or balikbayan box. Any other way is asking for a painful hit to the wallet. My first mistake on that was sending a used book on computer programming by US Postal mail. I forget the exact amount but the recipient was charged way more than what it cost me to send including the price of the book.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I was also taxed and I paid airport storage fees for sending college textbooks via FedEx. There is no duty under the GATT Agreement for printed matter, but Philippine Customs personnel never read the memo.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
with having it sent to my mail forwarder a

since I cant PM you,

could you tell us what "mail forwarder"service you used?

so that others can be aware of this firm or others that may operate like this.

have read in other blogs that JAC and of course using the Balikbayan box you avoid this "tax"

Flyaway

A friend sent a 5 year old laptop to his girlfriend via FedEx. Do not remember the exact shipping charge but I knew he was pissed about getting a bill for almost $800 for import taxes! He had a choice of having it returned at his expense or pay the tax.  

would a service like Philippine based air cargo or JAC(Johnny air) be better next time?

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

Mike S
Posted
Posted
could you tell us what "mail forwarder"service you used? so that others can be aware of this firm or others that may operate like this. have read in other blogs that JAC and of course using the Balikbayan box you avoid this "tax"

The service I used was my mail forwarding service USA Box ...... they didn't rip me off as they clearly state that any shipment is $24 minimum charge per pound and as it just weighed ounces I paid the $24 .... I paid about $2 to have it shipped to USA Box as it was still in the original shipping package so the BOC took the $39.95 and the $24 plus the $2 and added them together ..... $65.95 and then because it was listed as electronics added vat .... customs ... customs stamp .... handling (or what ever they call it) so the actual cost for the $39.95 was almost $89 after all was said and done .... I have the paperwork somewhere as I saved it to remind myself how stupid I was ....

And yes I'm aware of BB boxes but to send something that small in a BB box or wait till I filled a small BB box would take forever and the cheapest BB box I've seen is about $45 to send .... I have sent stuff by Post before and gotten it in about 3 weeks and they never charged me vat just a flat fee of p50 .... if i remember ....

:cheersty: