Advice On Buying A New Monitor

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I would like to know however, about the local after sale service. What is their return policy?  Can one bring the item back immediately if it was defective?  Do they offer extended warranty?  Are repairs local and are the techs ET certified and authorized to work on certain brand LCD-LED?

Jake, I was told to bring it back to the store within 7 days for replacement if defective or failed. After that it's a 1 year warranty and most of the work in the Cebu area is done in Mandaue. You take it there. No idea about qualifications.

I had always heard about the 7 day return and thought it might be government mandated.  It turns out it is not.  The government mandate is that every product sold has a minimum 60 day implied warranty.

http://www.dti.gov.ph/dti/index.php?p=752

Additional info here, but there appears to be a typo on the 7 day section at the bottom:

http://www.dti.gov.ph/dti/index.php?p=749

My apologies to the original poster for going off topic!   :hystery:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I like this one from JGF's link because it has a headphone port besides being a good monitor for that price. But how to pay? Deposit money into some bank acct and wait till it's verified, then they ship. Welcome to the 1980s.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Mike, same thing here in the freeport.  Monitors are scarce and I ended up buying a Toshiba TV similar to yours.  Now that I think about it, laptops, tablets and phones rule here.  Desktops are falling behind in the consumer market.  I went to every store that has electronics in Harbor Point mall and the largest monitor available at 3 of them was a Samsung 22 inch for around 10k.

I looked at several TVs at several shops and Western Appliance again came through for me.  They know us in there now and they always give us a good discount.  They will beat any price in the freeport if they have the item.

I bought a Toshiba 24p2300VP 24 inch for p8600, about $200, which was my budget for a monitor.  It is a nice HD TV with 2 HDMI, VGA, USB movie playback, etc.  A nice perk was it was only p100 more than cash to use my US Mastercard, so I was able to move some money over at the current high exchange rates.  Another nice thing is the sound bar design speakers, which sound decent.  My current speaker system is on it's last legs so these will do when it goes.

I just hope it displays the computer good!  I will find out tomorrow.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Mike B, any tips on tweaking the Toshiba TV to display the computer better?  In both HDMI and VGA the resolution is not very good, especially for small text.  The manual does state that it might not be good.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Mike B, any tips on tweaking the Toshiba TV to display the computer better?  In both HDMI and VGA the resolution is not very good, especially for small text.  The manual does state that it might not be good.

You might try selecting a smaller display resolution with your computer. i.e. Instead of 1280x800 try 1024x768.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think I have tried almost everything.  Video card settings, control panel settings and TV settings.   Windows has a Clear Text function but that did not help either.  The only thing that makes a difference is to enlarge or zoom as much as practical.

I just played a HD movie on the USB and it looks great.  It just doesn't cut it as a PC monitor.  It will do until I find something better, and then I will use this as a TV.  I'll probably have to get something in Manila next time I am there.  I had to get something quick because I need to access the desktop PC ASAP.

I just had a thought.  I was going to have my friend send me a BB box soon.  Maybe I will buy one on Amazon and have him include it.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The best resolution for my laptop is 1920 x 1080 so that's what I'm using and it's fine in HDMI or VGA. Sorry, I don't know what the problem could be. Not much in the monitor settings except brightness, color, etc.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The best resolution for my laptop is 1920 x 1080 so that's what I'm using and it's fine in HDMI or VGA. Sorry, I don't know what the problem could be. Not much in the monitor settings except brightness, color, etc.

It is not bad now.  I'll get a true computer monitor in the future and this will become the little girl's tv so I don't have to watch cartoon network so often on the big tv!  

• Like 1