Average Filipino Family Income About 20,000 Pesos A Month

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Is everybody that bad financially that they can't plan for a rainy day??

No

Is it inherent in their culture to spend everything they have?

Yes

What ever happened to the ancient philosophy of "paying yourself first"? Is it not taught in the Philippines?

No

only a fool spends everything he makes...

Exactly

Sorry for the short answers but I don't have a clue as to why they do it ...... or a solution to it ...... well some don't but the majority do ... JMHO

:cheersty:

Ok, you two!  I agree!

Unfortunately, the divorce judge agreed that my ex should have lots of income and saving for herself too...  

:1 (103):  :mocking:

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Unfortunately, the divorce judge agreed that my ex should have lots of income and saving for herself too...

Feeling that pain Bob!  That and the child support payments (which I have no problem at all paying) but they end this year, want to arrive there permanently with a clean slate, so to speak. 

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Feeling that pain Bob!  That and the child support payments (which I have no problem at all paying) but they end this year, want to arrive there permanently with a clean slate, so to speak. 

I know the feeling!  I've been done paying those a couple years ago now but unfortunately there were a couple years with no income.  Payments were made and I lived on credit.  I want to arrive there with a clean slate as well so that is what I am trying to finally pay off before I come.  Almost done!

• Like 3

Jeff R
Posted
Posted

My little Filipina didn't even know what a budget was. Well, now she does! The last line-item is the "family fund". I also made it clear that the fund is to be used only in an emergency and not a monthly income, and is not to be given if and when some family member just wants something that they don't need or can't afford. 

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Is everybody that bad financially that they can't plan for a rainy day?? Is it inherent in their culture to spend everything they have?
A big part of the Filipins are so poor forsing them to have to spend all they have to survive the next day

so they don't get chance to practise budget or puting away for a rainy day, because they don't get anything left to save.

How many of us foreigners would even manage a 10 people family to survive on 7000p, or even on 20 000p per month?...

What ever happened to the ancient philosophy of "paying yourself first"? Is it not taught in the Philippines?
Well. Influences from the Spanish and American colonisation periods have surely damaged the "Asian" type of culture in the Philippines, but there are still some left of assisting each other during catastophs extrairdinary much compared to normal "Western" culture count as needed level of "paying yourself first". 

Back when the tsunami hit tourist parts of Thailand very hard some years ago, many tourists were amazed of how much thai people assisted e g gave tourists their (second) last t-shirt, although the thais had lost their homes, but they gave from the litle they had left anyway!!! 

Some such kind assistance is "built in" in a Pinoy culture thing many of us foreigners find irritating

=The "rich" person in a group is suppoused to pay for whole group e g at restaurants. That goes for when the "rich" is Pinoy too.   

But a thing, which complicate this, is Pinoys in general believe all foreigners are rich.  Although compared to common Pinoys we ARE all rich, because otherwice we wouldn't have afforded to travel to the Philippines...    :)

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
A big part of the Filipins are so poor forsing them to have to spend all they have to survive the next day so they don't get chance to practise budget or puting away for a rainy day, because they don't get anything left to save. How many of us foreigners would even manage a 10 people family to survive on 7000p, or even on 20 000p per month?...

Good point Thomas - I've lived on "the bones of my arse" for months at a time after my divorce.  Week-to-week living, no saving, wondering where the money for fuel is going to come from to get to work, or if the electricity provider will accept an extension.  I think a few on here would do well to remember that circumstances are not always within everyone's control, you just do the best you can. 

• Like 5

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

My dear expats,

Life for the Filipino who has no relative abroad, not living 10 people in a house and the 4 working, not having some farm lands that his elders keep and eye to the caretakers and the income, has no other source of income other than his own job, LIFE IS HARD.

Best paying jobs are 30-40.000p/month. Average is 15-20.000p/month. If you do not want to believe these prices, fine, I will not present you lists and statistics of God knows who made them and their accuracy. I will tell you to join the site http://www.jobstreet.com.ph/ make an ID and see for your self the positions offered and the salaries.

Yes the guy with 17.000p per month, he can make it. 1000p/month rent (either dorm or shared apartment in a slum), 1000 electricity/water. 300p load, 1000p transportation, 5000p food, 9000 remain for his rest of expends. He might even own a motorcycle since it saves him a lot from the public transportation expends plus commuting time.

Now if he has a kid and a wife...he is screwed big time if his wife is not doing anything for providing some income of even 5-7000/month. If she does, they can make it, tight but no need to steal to survive.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Several years ago I knew a young woman who had worked her way through college in Manila to become a civil engineer, took 5 years. She went to work for Greenwich Pizza and Pasta, doing structural inspections of stores all over the country before they opened. Her salary was 15-17k per month, the equivalent of about $4000 dollars a year. She works in Dubai now for much more money but still far less then her local co-workers make doing the same job. 

• Like 3

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I am trying to get a Cert IV in Ambulance Health for my ERUF paramedics up and going. It is a internationally recognised program, and will help my paramedics apply for overseas EMT/Paramedic jobs. If my idea pans out, my guys will start making 10 times the amount they are making now in Cebu. Maybe they will learn to save with the extra money coming in.

• Like 3