Canada Dumps Garbage In Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Huh, how could this happen and why?  :89:

Canada Makes Philippines its Dump Site

The Philippines Bureau of Customs was shocked to open tons of garbage shipped from Canada declared as plastic scraps. The five containers were dubious as all had foul stench which disturbed people at the Manila International Container Terminal.

According to Customs Deputy Commissioner for Enforcement Group Ariel Nepomuceno, the containers passed the first level inspection as it was declared as plastic scraps in its shipment papers. Plastic scraps are allowed to be shipped because the Philippines recycle them as plastic wares.

However, after opening the containers, they contain garbage of household waste including used adult diapers.

The containers weigh 891.200.6 kilogrammes which amounted to US$222,800.15.

With the shipment of this toxic garbage, Canada violated the Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Wastes Control Act of 1990.

The Philippines Bureau of Customs is now in contact with the shipping firm Chronic Incorporated, with address at 95 Regency Crescent, Whitby, Ontario, Canada LIN 7K8, demanding the shipping company to ship back the containers to the point of origin. The bureau obliged the company to cover all shipment expenses.

Mr Nepomuceno said that the Philippines signed the Basel Convention, an international treaty, which restricts trafficking of waste. Under Basel Convention, all members agreed to prohibits shipment of hazardous garbage from one country to another, specifically dumping garbage from a developed country to a developing country.

The Philippine Bureau of Customs, together with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, are now preparing criminal charges against the shipper from Canada and its consignee in the Philippines which had already been identified as Chronic Plastics.

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Somebody messed up because why would you ship garbage at a huge cost when there are dumps local for way cheaper 

Unless the old folks home pulled a scam saying yes all recycled plastics to avoid paying dump fees and maybe got a few bucks for the scrap lol

Thomas
Posted
Posted
after opening the containers, they contain garbage of household waste including used adult diapers. The containers weigh 891.200.6 kilogrammes which amounted to US$222,800.15.
As if the Philippines haven't problems enough...  :bash:

I suppouse it was something much more toxic than adult daipers...  :)

Mike S
Posted
Posted

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:  ..... sorry i just had to laugh .... the BOC finally got something they didn't want to steal and let get smuggled in ... guess there is not a huge demand for smuggled adult diapers .... Hummmmm .... wonder if the BOC p*ssed someone off in friendly Canada ....

HEY Bob .... you ain't started shipping your stuff over yet have you ..... if so expect to get them back real soon ..... :hystery: :hystery:

:cheersty:

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I suppouse it was something much more toxic than adult daipers... :)

Hummmm could that be peeing on every wall or post in your neighborhood ..... nawwwww .... they wouldn't do that here ..... or how about throwing your garbage and crapping in the rivers that run under your illegally placed squatters hut ..... :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Somebody messed up because why would you ship garbage at a huge cost when there are dumps local for way cheaper 

Unless the old folks home pulled a scam saying yes all recycled plastics to avoid paying dump fees and maybe got a few bucks for the scrap lol

Maybe it just wasn't sorted correctly. Even just sending plastic I would think the cost would outweigh the gain. Perhaps those who shipped it did not get paid for previous containers so gave them rubbish. Will the plot thicken  :89: Now I wonder if Canada will accept it into their port? 

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Will the plot thicken :89: Now I wonder if Canada will accept it into their port?

The containers most likely will disappear during shipment. You would be amazed at the number of containers lost at sea.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

More

Whitby plastic recycler denies shipping trash to Philippines

Jim Makris, owner of Chronic Inc., insists reports that he illegally sent trash to the Philippines are false and nonsensical.

A Whitby businessman accused of illegally shipping mounds of trash masked as recyclable plastic to the Philippines is flatly denying the charge.
“Their story of this garbage thing is just driving me nuts,” said Jim Makris, owner of Chronic Inc., a business that sends mixed plastics across the Pacific to be sorted in the Philippines and sold for recycling.
“Anybody who’s in plastic, who knows plastic, will tell you. It’s the stupidest thing I’ve heard of in my entire life,” Makris said.

Local media in the Philippines reported this week that a 50-container shipment arrived in Manila from Canada last year. Because it was declared as plastic for recycling, the country’s Bureau of Customs said Makris’ company broke the law by shipping “tons of garbage” consisting of household trash and some adult diapers.
The Philippine Daily Inquirer reported that the Bureau of Customs is investigating the 150-worker plant in Valenzuela City started by Makris to sort and sell the plastic he ships.
Makris, who began his Philippines recycling venture nearly a year ago, said the alleged trash-filled containers were part of his second shipment to the country. He said the contents, which he bought from a recycling firm in Vancouver, were “95 per cent plastic” but also contained some paper and aluminum that one would find in a standard household recycling bin.
His first 30-container delivery made it past customs without a problem, he said. Makris told the Star he suspects someone along the chain of delivery wanted to be paid off before his second shipment is allowed through. But he’s not sure.

“This is beyond even understanding what’s going on,” he said. “I think everything was just misunderstood really badly.”
A Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada spokesperson said the government hasn’t been advised of the situation, but will monitor developments through Canadian officials in the Philippines.
Bolivar Bao, an official at the Philippines consulate in Toronto, met with Makris on Tuesday.
“At this point, we’re still trying to confirm his story,” said Bao.
“We’ll be doing our best to determine the circumstances surrounding his allegations.”
Shirley Banquicio, a commercial relations officer from the consulate who also met with Makris, said she’s waiting for a response from Manila to Makris’ claims.
“We haven’t received anything from Manila, officially, on the matter,” she said.

Under the Basel Convention, to which Canada and the Philippines are signatories, it is illegal to ship hazardous waste internationally, except in special circumstances.
Makris insisted that it wouldn’t be possible for such waste to get into his shipments, which are also inspected before they leave Canada, he said.
He added that “anyone with a brain” could see that it makes no sense to ship garbage overseas. It costs $40 per tonne to dump garbage in Canada, but $80 per tonne to ship his recycling material to the Philippines, he said.
The garbage accusation isn’t the only hardship Makris has faced. Though his first 30-container shipment made it past Philippines customs, Makris claimed he hasn’t “seen a dime” of the profits thus far and claimed there might be cost inflation at the Philippines end of his endeavor.
“I’m going to wait 48 hours,” he said, expressing hope his shipment will be deemed acceptable and allowed past customs.
“It’s doing business overseas, and I think that’s the biggest problem,” he said.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
“Their story of this garbage thing is just driving me nuts,” said Jim Makris, owner of Chronic Inc., a business that sends mixed plastics across the Pacific to be sorted in the Philippines and sold for recycling.
THAT make sence, in difference from the accusation sending daipers...   :)

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just another good example of why not to do business or invest in the Philippines ..... like he said someone wants a little something under the table or someone wants his business now that it is established using his capitol .... when will people learn .... it can all be taken from you in a heartbeat and not a damn thing you can do about it ..... he's better off cutting his losses and dumping his business before they find drugs in his next shipmen and he is charged with drug trafficking ....

• Like 2