English In Filipinos Colleges And Universities

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

The estimate is about 40% of native born Americans do not speak Standard American English. Examples include Ebonics and Louisiana Creole. There is also a large first generation immigrant population speaking various versions of Pidgin. Linguists claim there are 10 distinctive English dialects spoken in the United States.

Does that include section 8??? :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
any one that can easily understand a New Yorker ir New Englander without great concentration, must live there.
I don't live there, but I do and can understand them. Maybe its because I've spent a lot of time around both.
  • Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

In Alabama "you guys" sounds too gay too us. We still say ya'll which could be translated as you all.

Its the same in Louisiana!!! Go figger!

• 1 year later...
Alex Moersheim
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can check out Enderun Colleges in McKinley, Taguig. They offer different ESL Program packages like social classes, intensive classes, as well as one-on-one. You can even opt for a native speaker. Hope this helps! 

Edited by scott h
removed ling
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
allancomeau
Posted
Posted
On 2/24/2014 at 7:23 PM, alsuave said:

I know many Filipinos who speak English among themselves. In fact, I think they prefer English. And I'm not talking about Fil Ams or OFWs. These are real Filipinos in Manila

I was told that English is more precise than Tagalog, making it a more effective tool for communication.

Back in the day when I had an IT business I was surprised that all meetings (with myself being only the foreigner) were conducted in English.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

In Toronto, my wife speaks Tagalog more frequently than she does in the Philippines.  She says she misses speaking and hearing Tagalog, and with Filipinos here in Toronto coming from different walks of life, she is not always sure of the other person's fluency in English.  

In Manila, with her friends, it is English all the way.  Taglish is frowned upon.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, MacBubba said:

Taglish is frowned upon.

My wife and her friends refer to it as "carabao english".

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Mike J said:

My wife and her friends refer to it as "carabao english".

I checked with my wife.  "Carabao English" is an old term that refers to English that is poorly spoken, due to lack of fluency or limited vocabulary.  Not their fault really.  Taglish may be spoken due to those causes, but could also be an affectation.  In the 1980's, some of the boys and girls from exclusive schools started speaking in Taglish because they thought it was cute.  The lower classes were quick to adopt it because it was easy, and in fashion.  Easier than striving to speak English properly.  Then actors and actresses started speaking Taglish on television, and that was that.  Taglish became acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

It has nothing to do with striving. It's how languages form or change over time. Taglish is an example of a common linguistic phenomenon when you have a group of people who speak two languages. Sometimes it can develop into a language of its own. I grew up on Spanglish.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Sometimes it can develop into a language of its own. I grew up on Spanglish.

I spent some 17+ years in Spain and GIBRALTAR, Spain is well known for this and to agree and endorse Reboots Post, Gib has made a semi Official language of it called Llanito, most definitely a combination of their spoken Spanish and English;

***Llanito or Yanito (pronounced [jaˈnito]) is a form of Spanish heavily laced with words from English and other languages such as Genoese, spoken in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar;***

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanito

Jack:smile:

Morning All :photo-109:

• Like 1