English In Filipinos Colleges And Universities

Reboot
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I spent some 17+ years in Spain and GIBRALTAR, Spain is well known for this and to agree and endorse Reboots Post, Gib has made a semi Official language of it called Llanito, most definitely a combination of their spoken Spanish and English;

***Llanito or Yanito (pronounced [jaˈnito]) is a form of Spanish heavily laced with words from English and other languages such as Genoese, spoken in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar;***

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanito

Jack:smile:

Morning All :photo-109:

Even Tagalog itself is a sort of patois, I suppose. That and Visayan. It's full of Spanish words. Modern English happened in much the same way!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
allancomeau
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/19/2014 at 8:53 AM, Steve & Myrlita said:

Who was the genius who set up the schools with "Filipino English" in the 1st place? Who ever started this did a good job of holding back the people to uneducated masses. 

Oddly it seems to me that the English language skills are decreasing; there are no English TV shows on the common (antenna fed) TV networks. 

While Tagalog is the official language (though not nationwide in fluency) with so many seeking overseas employment* it does make one wonder how much harder it is becoming when fluency in English is a requirement.

*Some years I had a meeting with the #2 person in DECS (grade school education) who - to my surprise - was brutally honest about how DECS saw their role;  educating the average pinoy to the degree needed in the 3R's for employment abroad.

Edited by allancomeau

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2017 at 6:50 PM, allancomeau said:

I was told that English is more precise than Tagalog, making it a more effective tool for communication.

Tagalog does not distinguish gender. There is really no "He or "She" in the language so many Filipinos interchange the two words. The length between two points is imprecise or most difficult to express in Tagalog so you will hear "Do-on" or "Over There" instead of "1.4 kilometers" when asking directions and distance.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am changing this post because I received a private comment that illustrates to me just how imprecise language can be.  Sometimes what is meant is not what is inferred.  Sorry for any negative implications.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

allancomeau
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Tagalog does not distinguish gender. There is really no "He or "She" in the language so many Filipinos interchange the two words. The length between two points is imprecise or most difficult to express in Tagalog so you will hear "Do-on" or "Over There" instead of "1.4 kilometers" when asking directions and distance.

How is the concept of time expressed?!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, allancomeau said:

I'm shocked that you would suggest there is a concept of time in Philippines.  Don't we have a sarcasm emoticon here somewhere :hystery:

• Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, allancomeau said:

Interesting question. I don't have an answer. When asking for a definite commitment, as in, "What time do we meet?" or "When will the work be completed?" Filipinos resort to vague responses. I am sure everyone is familiar with the response, "Later." "Soon." and "Maybe Tomorrow."

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, allancomeau said:

Clock filipino.jpg

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, JJReyes said:

I am sure everyone is familiar with the response, "Later." "Soon." and "Maybe Tomorrow."

:wink:

9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm shocked that you would suggest there is a concept of time in Philippines.  Don't we have a sarcasm emoticon here somewhere :hystery:

sacasm emotion.jpg  :hystery: just my morning Humour Young man

Jack :huh:

Morning All :photo-109:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
On 2/18/2014 at 1:01 AM, jpbago said:

It seems to depend if they want to speak English or not. One of my daughters is in 1st year college and the other is in 4th year high school. At school, most of their speaking is in English but when they are not in class, they do not speak English. When their friends come here, I have to insist that they speak English otherwise they won't.

I took Spanish lessons years ago and whenever I met someone from my class or someone who spoke Spanish, I always spoke Spanish to them because I wanted to learn and to practice. Here, they don't seem to care if they learn or not.

One of my daughter's friend from 4th year is going to Canada next year. She thinks that Canada is a Spanish speaking country, not English, and her mother has worked there for 10 years. But they say that they are educated.

I once met a school principal who ask me 

“where in the U.S. is Japan”

• Haha 2