English In Filipinos Colleges And Universities

alsuave
Posted
Posted

That is rude and inconsiderate. But a lot of people behave that way, not just Filipinos.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Of course what they are doing is rude. If there's a common language that everyone understands then that's the language they should speak. Deliberately leaving one person out of the conversation is rude. What if you and your wife were both fluent in Tagalog and in English but your friend was only fluent in English. Would you and your wife speak in Tagalog which would leave your friend out of the conversation?
Yes, IF being fluent in both, but a lot of Filipins can only a litle English and are embarrased of showing that. Don't forget many Asians bother much about "Lose Face" so they try to avoid doing things they are bad at.

It's convinient for Americans to expect everyone to speak English  :)   but it isn't so convinient for us with other father's language.

Even I, who have worked much in English too - although it got BAD by I had much communication in English with Russians and Thai  :lol:  - and even think some in English, and sometimes I remember the word in English, but have hard to remember what it's called in Swedish  :mocking:     but I prefer to speak Swedish before English anyway.

• Like 1

nigelmac
Posted
Posted

I had  a similar problem in France and it is ongoing my daughter who speaks English quite well corrected her school teachers from the age of 6-7 with their pronunciation (those French can really tear the English language to threads with their accents) and not only was she NOT thanked and recognized she was scolded and accused of being insolent I personally find this kind of situation scandalous!!!  :th_unfair:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Throughout the history of this world, more wars were started over religion. The next biggest cause of war is language...

:)

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

​Obama had better hire someone fluent in both english and mandarin to explain to China that they had best not cross the line he draws in the sea.    

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I share Alsuave's observation about English being the preferred language in Manila. Maybe not all people from Manila, but certainly the ones that I know.  The only time I hear family and friends speak in Tagalog is when there is no English equivalent.

BTW, I don't know what's changed, but the quote buttons don't work for me anymore.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

BTW, I don't know what's changed, but the quote buttons don't work for me anymore.

I'm not sure what you mean but click the little button on the top left - "BBCcodemode" and see if that corrects it. If not click it back.

Miguk
Posted
Posted

It is rude.  Even after 30 years I still say it is rude.  "We feel uncomfortable talking to each other in English" is the constant refrain but it doesn't change the fact it is rude.  I have learned enough to crack the Tagalog secure network.....then they just change to Ilocano or Kapapangan :mocking:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

It is rude.  Even after 30 years I still say it is rude.  "We feel uncomfortable talking to each other in English" is the constant refrain but it doesn't change the fact it is rude.  I have learned enough to crack the Tagalog secure network.....then they just change to Ilocano or Kapapangan :mocking:

You are correct. Its rude and they know its rude. The truth is most Filipinos don't want foreigners to know everything they are saying for many reasons which I will not try to list all of them right now.

Americano
Posted
Posted

I had  a similar problem in France and it is ongoing my daughter who speaks English quite well corrected her school teachers from the age of 6-7 with their pronunciation (those French can really tear the English language to threads with their accents) and not only was she NOT thanked and recognized she was scolded and accused of being insolent I personally find this kind of situation scandalous!!!  :th_unfair:

hahaha You are so funny talking about the French. I couldn't stop laughing.

If a teacher treated my small child like that I would have to do something and it wouldn't be pretty. The students want be saying, teacher what happened to your face?