English In Filipinos Colleges And Universities

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The best way to think and speak english is to read in english. I have asked a lot of Filipinos if they read english novels or newspapers, the answer is always no. Reading requires visualization, Visualization stretches the mind to understand and comprehend. This makes thinking in english easier and improves comprehension over time. I knew some folks, about twenty of them, that we started out with comic books. Batman and Robin, The Green Hornet, The Archies. Within 2 months they had moved on to bigger and better books. They improved slightly in english speaking but the Comprehension is where they made strides.  You must read read and read. Try reading to the children at night or anytime. Set up story time with some kids, but get them to read. Have them pay attention to correct punctuation, where the periods are and why, where the commas are and why. Little things will produce eventual strides in their english. Have them get in the habit of looking up words they don't know or understand. Only asked questions after they have looked the word up. Find ways to make learning fun. like puppet shows with kids where they have to read Que. cards in english.  I have witnessed many times the hang ups the Filipinos have with getting into schools, 90% of the time it's the english. Then the school wants to charge them some ridicules amount to take ESL classes. The classes teach basics and they get a passing grade most of time for showing up. Many times they come out more confused, lets face it english is difficult. Read read read in english.

W&M, Love you writing but as we are on the Subject, do you thing you could paragraph a little, Pretty Please. :rolleyes:  it would make things so much Simpler  and many here  (Like me ) are just liking the simple things in Life  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I have witnessed many times the hang ups the Filipinos have with getting into schools, 90% of the time it's the english.
It's made harder by English (and French) don't pronounce some letters corect  :mocking:

(Filipinos CAN read e g German and the Scandinavian languages almost CORECT, no problem for us to understand what the Filipinos read in our languages WITHOUT any preparations at all for the Filipinos, because the letters are pronounced same/very similar.  Spanish has a FEW differences, but if learning them, the rest is easy.)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
It's made harder by English (and French) don't pronounce some letters corect 
  :hystery:
  • Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Of course the English don't pronounce it right not like the Scandinavians or Deuchars.

:boohoo:  

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Of course the English don't pronounce it right not like the Scandinavians or Deuchars.

:boohoo:  

Cue the Muppets' favourite chef.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's putting the cart before the horse. The problem is things are not written the way they are pronounced.

Learn pronounciation first. Then yew ewes er spell cheque lyke wot eye dun.

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

That's putting the cart before the horse. The problem is things are not written the way they are pronounced.

Learn pronounciation first. Then yew ewes er spell cheque lyke wot eye dun.

That TOO     :)    E g mute letters in English.

Plus some English letters are pronounced DIFFERENT than they are done in e g Germany, Scandinavia - and the Philippines.  E g English "e" would all we others write "i".   That's why Filipinos have problem pronouncing English WITH exersise, but almost no problem pronouncing Swedish WITHOUT any exersise...  :)

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

In an academic debate, I can probably take either side and end up concluding Filipinos should be taught Esperanto rather than English or Tagalog.

That cracked me up! I just saw the film 'Gattica' on the SyFy channel, and the public address system in this made-up World spoke in Esperanto (according to the closed captions on the screen).

I yelled at the T V, "NOBODY speaks Esperanto!" :bash:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

In an academic debate, I can probably take either side and end up concluding Filipinos should be taught Esperanto rather than English or Tagalog.

That cracked me up! I just saw the film 'Gattica' on the SyFy channel, and the public address system in this made-up World spoke in Esperanto (according to the closed captions on the screen).

I yelled at the T V, "NOBODY speaks Esperanto!" :bash:

I do...

Or, at least, I used to know a little bit... Can't think of any of it right now... Though it is only 4:30 in the morning... It's amazing what is deemed useful when you have a military career...

:D

• Like 1

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted
I do... Or, at least, I used to know a little bit... Can't think of any of it right now... Though it is only 4:30 in the morning... It's amazing what is deemed useful when you have a military career...
I never took the opportunity to learn it. I remember reading a science fiction story where one character tried (and failed) to promote Esperanto. Nobody took him seriously.