Not Sure Where To Start On A Visa...

rfhypnos
Posted
Posted

So how does anybody know if they have hired and agency full of wind or someone who is legitimate?  Is it just as easy to do it personally when filing for fiancé visa?  Also, can I file while here in US and travel to stay a while in Philippines for 6 months and marry if the fiancé thing isn't done yet? 

Scruffydawg
Posted
Posted

I was just starting to post that link.  You beat me to it. 

From talking to others and reading the website looks like I have to have a domicile in the US  - which I do not.

And make above the poverty level - which I do not.

So it seems that the tourist visa is our only option. 

Goldberg dispelled perceptions that Filipinos have difficulty obtaining tourist visas to visit the United States. He admitted that the US Embassy compound in Manila may look intimidating with its high walls and strict security but, in reality, the procedure for visa application is “friendly.”

“The vast majority of people who apply are approved for visas. [We have] a standard and easy process: You make an appointment, you go in, you have an interview. As long as you are a stable resident of the Philippines, you’re going to get your visa and enjoy the United States,” he said.

I will take this with a grain of salt...  And what do they mean by "stable resident"?  Maybe that is the major caveat...  we will give it a shot!

I am new here but did the K-1 about 3 years ago and just got my wife her 10 year green card. We will file for citizenship when we get home from Cebu. Please don't take this the wrong way, but your wife has an almost less than zero percent chance of getting a toruist visa and with you not having a residance in the US and with your income a spousal or Fiance Visa is probaly not going to happen. USEM does not usally allow cosposers on the K-1's for income.

As for Visa Journey. I am a regular there. It can be confusing, but drop down to the Philippines sub forum. There are some good people there that will help you

As to the question of hiring someone for the K-1. I did and it was the biggest waste of money ever. It is very doable by yourself. If you feel you need some help, don't hire a lawyer. Not a darn thing they can do for you. There are Visa services that make sure all the paper work is correct. If anyone claims they can speed up your time or their clients get approved faster. Cough Cough BS.. NOT!

In fact the K-1 is basically a fill out the paper work and wait game. If you meet all the requirments you will get approved. The number one thing that get's people denied is lack of income for sponsership and things like a faked CENOMAR or faulty NBI clearnace.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

As to the question of hiring someone for the K-1. I did and it was the biggest waste of money ever. It is very doable by yourself. If you feel you need some help, don't hire a lawyer. Not a darn thing they can do for you. There are Visa services that make sure all the paper work is correct. If anyone claims they can speed up your time or their clients get approved faster. Cough Cough BS.. NOT!

My best friend lives in the US and is doing the fiancee visa now. He went with a service I recommended here and is very glad he did because there were problems with both her and his birth certs. They had misspelled the middle name on his U.S. BC and he never noticed. So it doesn't just happen in the Philippines. Having this guy check everything already saved the money it's costing him for the service in unnecessary travel to Manila and running around elsewhere. I think the fee is very reasonable and he also explains he cannot speed up the actual process. It is what it is. I hate paperwork, I would definitely use him if I was doing a fiancee or spousal visa.

pokermike
Posted
Posted

I am not going to be claim i am an expert but having been married 5 times all requiring either k1 or k3 visa's . I can tell you doing it yourself is the way to go , simple paperwork and then the waiting game. Anything the agent does you can do faster by yourself with a little effort.

My wife is going for her K1 interview on October 3rd hope she passes so she can join me in the states for a year, before i move there. We have been waiting 18 months now and during my interview i was told the delay was because of so many previous cases. If you dont have a decent income you wont be getting the VISA.

The support form you fill out will make you list your kids even if they dont live with you requires you to have a higher income and they will require your last two years complete tax forms that were filed. They also counted my previous 4 visas against me in the total of persons i was resposible for. Even though that have all re married. Lucky i make big bucks   later poker mike

Julia
Posted
Posted
Or fly to Mexico and walk across the border... ha ha  :tiphat:

haha, funny but I don't think it is a good idea...

Maybe I will just go to my daughter's wedding without her...

i hate to say this, sir, but I guess this is the only best thing that you can do for now....

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Or fly to Mexico and walk across the border... ha ha  :tiphat:

haha, funny but I don't think it is a good idea...

Maybe I will just go to my daughter's wedding without her...

i hate to say this, sir, but I guess this is the only best thing that you can do for now....

Well I am currently in the US for my daughter's wedding.  My wife is back home in Iloilo.  Maybe one day, later, we can get her over here....  

I have been here a week and about ready to go back home to Iloilo myself   :tiphat:

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

So how does anybody know if they have hired and agency full of wind or someone who is legitimate?  Is it just as easy to do it personally when filing for fiancé visa?  Also, can I file while here in US and travel to stay a while in Philippines for 6 months and marry if the fiancé thing isn't done yet? 

My stock answer is that an agency is unnecessary and an expense you don't need. That being said I can imagine circumstances where they might be of help: a guy who is completely hopeless with paperwork; a guy who is very busy and has money to burn. However, I have had a couple of friends who went this route and you have to remember that ultimately you (the filer) will still have to come up with all the docs that the lawyer or agency needs to file. For me it was this legwork and busy work that was the biggest pain: coming up with birth certificates/divorce decrees, financial records, putting together docs proving the relationship (emails and photos). The lawyer or agency you have hired will not be doing that - you will. They will just take it all and file it for you and in theory help with any problems along the way.

So, it's your money - but I wouldn't hire anyone. As to your other question - yes, you can file in the US and travel. However, if you file the K-1 and later decide you want to get married and file for a spousal visa, I am pretty sure you have to withdraw the K-1 filing. Getting married while the K-1 is still active is a big red flag for the USCIS and might delay you more than it is worth. That is if you marry in the Philippines and are still looking to bring her home to the US.

As I have said previously, VIsaJourney is your best resource and the Philippines sub-forum is even better.

rfhypnos
Posted
Posted

Okay, it was wishful thinking on my part that the visa could be completed by my return in April. Anyway I wanted to come back here and begin the process of selling my house. Then waiting in an apartment so se how long she would have to wait for the completion. If it takes too long I will miss her too much and just move to Bohol.

• 4 months later...
rfhypnos
Posted
Posted

What is the process for adopting a child of my fiancé once we are married?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

If anyone has questions we were able to get a spouse CR-1 visa for my wife last year. It only took us 3 months from the time we filed the petition. It could have been 2 months if we had taken the first available appointment for interview. This was very fast because I had lived in the Philippines over 6 months and could file directly with the US Embassy in Manila for the visa rather than file in the USA.