Not Sure Where To Start On A Visa...

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If anyone has questions we were able to get a spouse CR-1 visa for my wife last year. It only took us 3 months from the time we filed the petition. It could have been 2 months if we had taken the first available appointment for interview. This was very fast because I had lived in the Philippines over 6 months and could file directly with the US Embassy in Manila for the visa rather than file in the USA. 

Did you do it yourself or use an agency?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

If anyone has questions we were able to get a spouse CR-1 visa for my wife last year. It only took us 3 months from the time we filed the petition. It could have been 2 months if we had taken the first available appointment for interview. This was very fast because I had lived in the Philippines over 6 months and could file directly with the US Embassy in Manila for the visa rather than file in the USA. 

Did you do it yourself or use an agency?

We did it ourselves. We spoke with some other couples who had used an agency/lawyer. They informed us that it really did not make much difference for them. My recommendation would be to save the money and do it yourself.

Questions we had were either answered by my wife chatting to people on a facebook page/group for US Immigration from the Philippines or on websites like Visa Journey.

We only had a few minor glitches that we could not have predicted and each time we were able to resolve it by obtaining and submitting the proper paperwork.

• 4 weeks later...
Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Hello, What is the poverty line? Are you referring to the poverty line in the USA?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Hello, What is the poverty line? Are you referring to the poverty line in the USA?

The poverty line in the USA. To prove financial support you had to have an income at least 125% of the poverty line to sponsor 1 person for immigration, for 2014 that worked out to about $19,500.

• 2 weeks later...
chico2663
Posted
Posted

guys help me with this. i get almost 22000 for social security disability. I also had a disability policy that I get for 9500 a year that is non taxable. i paid it thru after tax dollars making it not taxable; How do I go about showing the extra income without putting it on taxes.IMade 90,000 2 years ago and 27000 thru 3.5 months this month. got approve for ssdi in feb so this year income will be 20,000 and this is last  year I will have o file. Any help would be helpful.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
How do I go about showing the extra income without putting it on taxes

Moderator Comment:

If you are telling us that you have taxable income you illegally avoid taxes on then that is not permitted on this site.

I am sure that lots of people evade paying taxes but we don't tell them how to do it here.  I did not delete your request as there may be a legitimate and legal answer but I caution respondents to use private messages for any information that should not be on a public forum.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

How do I go about showing the extra income without putting it on taxes

Moderator Comment:

If you are telling us that you have taxable income you illegally avoid taxes on then that is not permitted on this site.

I am sure that lots of people evade paying taxes but we don't tell them how to do it here.  I did not delete your request as there may be a legitimate and legal answer but I caution respondents to use private messages for any information that should not be on a public forum.

Dave, I recommend you go back and read his post again. This is a US tax law thing not someone evading paying his income taxes. He stated he has income which he legally is not required to pay income tax on. Some kind of disability policy that he is not required to pay income taxes on. So those funds he receives does not show up on his income tax form since he doesn't have to report them. Thus it makes it more difficult for him to prove he has sufficient earnings to support an immigrant on a visa. 

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

guys help me with this. i get almost 22000 for social security disability. I also had a disability policy that I get for 9500 a year that is non taxable. i paid it thru after tax dollars making it not taxable; How do I go about showing the extra income without putting it on taxes.IMade 90,000 2 years ago and 27000 thru 3.5 months this month. got approve for ssdi in feb so this year income will be 20,000 and this is last  year I will have o file. Any help would be helpful.

When you fill out the I-864 you can use more than just your income tax return to show you have sufficient annual income or wealth to support an immigrant. Go download the I-864 form and its instructions. If you still can not meet the income/wealth requirement you can always get a cosponsor.

chico2663
Posted
Posted

thank you earthdome. In the u.s. if you pay taxes on a disability policy whether you pay taxes depends on if before or after tax dollars. Our health insurance , 401k and other insurance are taken out pre-tax dollars. If you have a disability policy(like workers comp) and u pay it out of after tax dollars (e.g. roth ira) than you don't have to pay taxes on it. The cpa is the one who told me.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I get a little VA disability, it is also not taxable.  But I get a letter every year from the Veteran's Affairs stating my disability percentage, and the amount I receive.  Do you get something like that from yours?  I would think attaching a copy of that would be proof of income.