Dual Sim Samsung Galaxy Phone

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Any Australians out there bought a Dual Sim Samsung phone from Philippines, and then used it in Australia with their Telstra sim card??

I am thinking of buying one, but only if it will work in Australia as well.

nigelmac
Posted
Posted

I had the old dual sim samsung SGH 980 in fact 2 and they worked both in Africa and Europe I hope that helps you

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I used an LG Optimus L7 for a while mate, no probs using it either here or in PI.  The latest LG phones are actually rated higher than the Samsungs, the only phones that beat them are the HTCs according to many reviews. 

robert k
Posted
Posted

Just make sure that the bands the phone works with are the bands you have available.

I think there is a site gsmarena that gives all the specs for practically all phones. Many phones are quad band in 2 G and make calls everywhere [unless they are carrier or regionally locked, I buy unlocked phones] but if you need internet, you need a 3G band or higher and I have seen where 1900 and 2100 are used for 3G in the RP and which gives the best service will probably be area specific, ask someone from where you intend to be which is best, traveling is a toss up. My Huawei Glory 2 phone is quad band 2G and  5 band 3G, it takes the mystery out of it, you just have to buy a sim and some time that works wherever you are, if you need internet. :)

I noted the last time I was in the RP that is cheap to call people on the same provider and sucks minutes when they are on a different provider and after 1 or two calls I used up my minutes and lost my unlimited internet until I bought some more minutes, the dual sim came in handy, I also bought a 1k piso phone that was also dual sim so I could cover all the providers. My solution, 3 sims for P40 each and my plan with the internet for P200, then too, if you were in a bad area and had to make a call on a P1k phone, any thieves would probably feel pity for you. :hystery:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Any Australians out there bought a Dual Sim Samsung phone from Philippines, and then used it in Australia with their Telstra sim card??

Why are you buying in the Philippines? You can buy the same dual sim phones in Aus. Anyway quadband will work for you.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Why are you buying in the Philippines? You can buy the same dual sim phones in Aus. Anyway quadband will work for you.

Really?? I have not seen the dual sim care models in Perth anywhere. When I get home from work on Tuesday I will check at JB HIFI.

robert k
Posted
Posted

My Samsung Music Duos, dual sim, they are not true dual active sims, you have to designate which one to answer with before you answer or before you make a call, but they still draw power like they are both fully active and my 1300 Mah battery would be drained in 5 or 6 hours from full charge so I turned off one sim all the time it was not in use anyway. Both sims active plus wifi and the power drain was almost instantly visible. Make sure your phone has a large enough capacity battery or the dual sim is alot less valuable than it would at first seem. Just a thought.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have not been able to confirm this so maybe somebody boots down can? The dual SIM phone from most countries allow you to change from one company to another (is: 1 SIM for France, 1 SIM for when in China) through software switching... It's more for convenience so you don't have to physically change your SIM. Also works the same for a business phone during business hours and the same phone with a strictly personal line for after hours. I have heard that the Philippine dual SIM phones will work at the same time with different providers on each SIM installed... True or false or...?

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

Edited by I am bob

• 2 weeks later...
Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

MIke, I have a Samsung galaxy Duos which I bought from the Post Office, they're currently retailing for $139.00. Works great here and in PI.

http://catalogue.auspost.com.au/catalogue/australia-post-catalogue-discover-great-value-everyday-at-australia-post/4xnjkf7su.html?pid=promotedCatalogue#pageNo=6

When I get a new phone it will be a Galaxy Ace Duos for a bit more money, but it should work a bit faster than the one I currently have.

I am Bob, My phone allows me to switch between sims with the swipe of the screen and selecting which sim I want to use to make a call, send a text whatever ... Both sims remain active to receive calls/texts at all times. Is this what you were asking ??

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
Really?? I have not seen the dual sim care models in Perth anywhere. When I get home from work on Tuesday I will check at JB HIFI.

Duel sim models of any brand aren't really needed in Australia as all the phone companies work together unlike in RP. Probably why it's hard to find one in Perth