Shipping Pets

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, roberto said:

What is the difference between using a "Pet Travel Service" and just having the airline ship him as cargo? (I realize that not all airlines will do it and have rules).

The pet will still be shipped as cargo, but the Travel Service have the experience to assist in complying with all the requirements.  Given time, most people can do it themselves but these folks have the expertise.  They will know which shots are required, which vets are certified by the USDA to prepare a health certificate, international requirements for crate size, crate security, crate labels, water and food requirements, and the multitude of forms required by the destination country.  They have experience in working with the airlines, which is best, airline policy, who to call, etc.  Perhaps most important, having transported many pets, they can give advice on how to help keep your pet calm and comfortable during a long flight.  For example, I would never have thought of putting an unwashed tee shirt in the crate.   Consider it kind of like filing federal income tax, lots of people do it themselves, but many want the "expert" to do it to avoid mistakes, save time, and just avoid the hassle of working with government agencies.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

but many want the "expert" to do it to avoid mistakes, save time, and just avoid the hassle of working with government agencies.

Lets not forget though that this is in the best Interest of the Animals after all, it is about them Not us EH?:smile:

• Like 2

roberto
Posted
Posted

Thanks...If we decide to go back to the USA, how difficult is it to get our dog back into the USA?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, roberto said:

Thanks...If we decide to go back to the USA, how difficult is it to get our dog back into the USA?

:hystery:  Oooops.jpg Sorry but I think that, would be a very farcical episode. I Took my dogs to Spain from the UK no problem, Getting them back to the UK :571c66d400c8c_1(103): But another story for another day

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, roberto said:

I very much agree with Jack.  If memory serves me correct, a six month quarantine is mandatory for dogs entering the USA from the Philippines.  Our two dogs are such people lovers that I am not sure they could survive a six month quarantine.  If we ever return to the USA, but I have no intention of doing so, I would not put my dogs through that.  I  would somehow, someway, find a loving home for them here in the Philippines.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have a very good friend who brings his dear pet Sassy travels with him from California to Cebu and back every 6 months.  If he was in quarantine for 6 months it would surely be a 'dogs life'.  But the truth is he has no problems whatsoever.  Once you figure out how to do it then it will be fine.  I have asked Denis how he does it and he has explained it but since I have no intention of ever doing it then the info goes in one ear and out the other.  Bottom line is it can be done and is being done every day.  I have referred a few people to Denis to ask how to do it and I am sure he gets tired of answering the same question but everyone who sits down with him and buys him dinner gets good information :thumbsup:  The latest one to do so was MikeB from this very forum so I suggest you PM him for real info.

• Like 2

roberto
Posted
Posted

Hounddriver, How would you like to ask your friend Denis about it one more time? MikeB was kind of enough to reply to me but he is going to be doing it soon (for the first time).

thanks

Rob

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, roberto said:

How would you like to ask your friend Denis about it one more time?

I am reluctant to do that as it is not a primary interest of mine and thus the information tends to go in one ear and out the other without being properly processed and it gives the impression that I am not actually paying attention.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):  Not nice to ask your friend for info and not really pay attention when he replies.

So the best I can do is post Sassy's Facebook link:  https://www.facebook.com/b.s.rose.9?fref=ts

Sassy is the pooch that travels between Cebu and LAX every 6 months.  Perhaps you can add him on Facebook and ask him how he manages it.  If I know Dennis, he will respond for Sassy (Sassy does not speak human too well) and give pointers.  Sassy is a spoiled pet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 8/22/2016 at 11:52 AM, roberto said:

Hounddriver, How would you like to ask your friend Denis about it one more time? MikeB was kind of enough to reply to me but he is going to be doing it soon (for the first time).

thanks

Rob

As it happens, Dennis must have been getting a lot of requests about how he gets his dog from California to Cebu twice a year and he posted the following pics and info on his Facebook.  I will copy the info here:

You want to take your dog om vacation to another country? Generally, this is how it is done. First, obtain an import permit from the country you are traveling to. Second go to your vet and obtain a health certificate and rabies certificate. Third, take these three documents to the USDA near LAX to have your documents endorsed. Forth, take these three documents to the Consulate General of the country you will visit and have them authenticated

Dog pic 4.jpgDog pic 3.jpgDog pic 2.jpgDog Pic 1.jpg

• 2 years later...
dj3642
Posted
Posted

i know  this is an old topic.. but i figured i would put my 2 cents worth in here.. i had 4 cats i moved from the US to here a couple of months ago.. i was really hesistant as to whereto go and what to do etc.. so i ended up hiring a pet service and am so glad i did.. i had enough on my plate with trying to pack.. sell stuff. etc.. so i wanted this to go to someone who has done it and can handle it. it was NOT cheap but very much worth it to me. they took care of all the papers.. i needed to take the cats to vets for certain stuff.. but this place got all the permits.. picked the cats up at my place.. took them to the airport.. and it all went so very well. cats were not stressed at all when they got here.  name of the place in the US was petrelocation.com.. they also picked up the pets over here and went through customs and delivered them to my wife who was waiting for them.