Tourist Visa Extension Now Requires A Picture

robert k
Posted
Posted

It's not like 10,000 php is alot of cash and imigration will relieve you of over a quarter of it as soon as you arrive :). I also like to always have some cash on me, roadside fruit stands rarely take credit cards. Stay away from the durian, it wasn't too bad for taste but it stinks to high heaven and it had to ride on top of the v-hire van because the Filipino passengers who will accept almost anything complained :).

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

will xoom myself some 4000 pesos coz I will be flying non stop from San Fran to Manila and won't have a chance to change money.

:unsure: hmmmmmm, good thought, :rolleyes:  one problem, how will you collect your money, you will need the cash at immigration, all exchange areas are After immigration and Customs. Your waiver, can only be issued at entry time, once past immigration and customs you will not, be allowed back into the secure area.

Please don't think me smart here, just telling what has happened to me before so I pass on my experience. We live and learn and just trying to make your arrival as un- eventful as possible

:tiphat:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I did my first "extention" (visa waiver) to 59 days at Sta Rosa BI and my cost was p3030, so you should have at least that much ready for it.  It might be a bit less at the airport.  

Visa Waiver Application Fee  p1000
Visa Waiver                           p 500
Certificate Fee                       p 500
Legal Research Fee              p   30
Express Lane Fees               p1000

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

will xoom myself some 4000 pesos coz I will be flying non stop from San Fran to Manila and won't have a chance to change money.

:unsure: hmmmmmm, good thought, :rolleyes:  one problem, how will you collect your money, you will need the cash at immigration, all exchange areas are After immigration and Customs. Your waiver, can only be issued at entry time, once past immigration and customs you will not, be allowed back into the secure area.

Please don't think me smart here, just telling what has happened to me before so I pass on my experience. We live and learn and just trying to make your arrival as un- eventful as possible

Jack,

Sorry ...

Actually, I meant sending myself Pesos while I am still here in the US. However, I just found out that xoom don't send money to the US :)

So, I was googling this issue and found out that my citi bank does allow its clients to get foreign money and will waive the fees if they are good boys :)

I will give them a visit and see?

Robert K,

I did see the Durian when I was in Davao however, I didn't see what the fuss is all about? Why would people eat something that smells badly?

However, I did eat the durian icecream just to get close to the issue :)

Alby
Posted
Posted

I did my first "extention" (visa waiver) to 59 days at Sta Rosa BI and my cost was p3030, so you should have at least that much ready for it.  It might be a bit less at the airport.  

Visa Waiver Application Fee  p1000
Visa Waiver                           p 500
Certificate Fee                       p 500
Legal Research Fee              p   30
Express Lane Fees               p1000

Gotta love those fees!!!

I am sure they will invent something new to get whatever money they want!

If the government itself is so money hungry, why should we complain about normal citizens if they do the same?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I am sure they will invent something new to get whatever money they want!

Same thing on the other side of the pond!   :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I will change some before I go then...

Alby, Giving this some-thought  :unsure: as your Flight is direct, (Filipinos in and out so to speak, it is my guess that the exchange bureaus at your Departure Airport, should have pesos in the till. maybe a Phone call to one of them to ask, could be beneficial to you. 

These bureaus usually operate with a desk in Arrivals (Filipinos changing maybe, Peso to Dollar) and a desk in Departure (Returning Filipinos, changing Dollar to Peso.)

Just a thought that may help you here. :thumbsup:

Alby
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will change some before I go then...

Alby, Giving this some-thought  :unsure: as your Flight is direct, (Filipinos in and out so to speak, it is my guess that the exchange bureaus at your Departure Airport, should have pesos in the till. maybe a Phone call to one of them to ask, could be beneficial to you. 

These bureaus usually operate with a desk in Arrivals (Filipinos changing maybe, Peso to Dollar) and a desk in Departure (Returning Filipinos, changing Dollar to Peso.)

Just a thought that may help you here. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack!

But usually, when I travel overseas I don't care about having the foreign money coz I don't go to countries where the US visa is not on arrival and paid with CC.

However, this is a different case so I will need some cash.

I checked on the web and it turned out the cheapest way would be through your bank!

The most expensive and ripp-off way would be through those bureaus that you see scattered at airports. Some of them even charge 20% for it!!

I was reading about the subject and it seems Citibank gives its clients some TLC :) So, I will check with them tomorrow.

PS: For ATMs, I use my Charles Schwab bank. They don't charge ATM fees from anywhere period.

For CC, I use Capital One. No transaction or exchange fees. You are charged what you pay!

Edited by Alby

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It's not like 10,000 php is alot of cash and imigration will relieve you of over a quarter of it as soon as you arrive :). I also like to always have some cash on me, roadside fruit stands rarely take credit cards. Stay away from the durian, it wasn't too bad for taste but it stinks to high heaven and it had to ride on top of the v-hire van because the Filipino passengers who will accept almost anything complained :).

Nuns must have to pay higher fees or maybe they buy lots of durian because this one had 39,000p:

"The wallet that a Benedictine nun lost at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) has been returned to her after almost a year with all the P39,000 cash intact."  http://manilatimes.net/nun-gets-back-wallet-she-lost-at-airport-after-a-year/81991/

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Jpbago, it just goes to show how much money you can save if you have a steady job, no vices and no kids. :)

• Like 2