Travellers Cheques

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I prefer to carry cash within the limits set by the US government. The exact amount depends on the length of the trip and a little extra as a reserve. The traveller's checks are for emergencies only. The credit cards are to guarantee payment at the hotels. I pay cash in local currency during check-out. The credit cards I have charge a 3% foreign exchange fee plus give you a lousy exchange rate. I don't like ATMs for security reasons. When you walk away, the criminal elements watching know the wad you stuffed into a pocket isn't tissue paper. 

My American Express card has a high advance cash component. This is for a real emergency such as hospitalization.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

If you plan on staying for a short time, bring cash, keep it in the hotel digital safe, and exchange it for pesos as needed. Keep 2 credit cards in the safe in case one does not work. Inform the banks of your travels or they may block the cards. Debit cards are good too depending on the fees and exchange rates. If you use a debit card, withdraw the max each time as the fee is the same.

If you plan on staying for a long time, bring up to $10,000 US cash and open a joint bank account when you get here at BDO or BPI.

Lots of info in the banking section of the forum.

Have fun!

Or if you are as fortunate as Mr T, bring nothing as your girlfriend will take care of you.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hi Gerry i spend a hell of a lot of time travelling at least 6 months a year this is the best option i have found to have east=y access to cash anywhere in the world and its safe 

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/currency-cards-for-you/

you charge them as and when is needed this is not the only example check out money supermarket there are lost of different types but it beats travelers cheques hands down 

good luck

These are the best option, I had one from another company and mainly had it as a back up. Travelers cheques are a thing of the past in my opinion.

• Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
Your best bet is ATM card.

Just beware, my CC was skimmed at a guard protected ATM in Argao and hit to the tune of 30,000 Rand in South Africa. I will only use my CC inside a bank from now on

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Try azimo and transfer money from the uk to a money broker here,I use palawan pawnshop but you can use others with your visa card cost is usually 5 pounds and is done within 24 hours. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Just beware, my CC was skimmed at a guard protected ATM in Argao and hit to the tune of 30,000 Rand in South Africa.

Sorry to hear, that's almost $2800 USD. Can you share which ATM? Did your bank cover the loss since it's fraud? US banks generally limit your liability at $500 for debit card fraud. Although this happens all over the world this is one reason western banks don't want their customers living permanently in 3rd world countries.

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Certain ATMs in MOA are blocked by UK banks from being used. There is a bank of ATM's just by the SM department store which will always reject a transaction.  I phoned my bank and asked why and they said they where known sites for fraud.

• Like 3

Gerry the Brit
Posted
Posted

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Will get 2 Caxton currency cards, one as back up incase one gets lost or stolen, and two credit cards and a small amount of cash.

Looks like I will be using ATM's inside the bank's at the malls. Grateful to all you guy's.

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
Sorry to hear, that's almost $2800 USD. Can you share which ATM? Did your bank cover the loss since it's fraud? US banks generally limit your liability at $500 for debit card fraud. Although this happens all over the world this is one reason western banks don't want their customers living permanently in 3rd world countries.

Hi Mike, I used two ATM machines on that day. The DBP across from the University first but it was out of cash and then the Metro bank ATM outside of Prince. I used the DBP ATM before with no problems on occasions that I needed emergency cash and the Metro Bank one only once.

Yes the fraud squad are investigating and I won't be liable for the money. I have a note on my card saying I'm in the Philippines to protect my self from this sort of crime but it appears they are very casual in South African Banks. This problem is not only associated with the 3rd World. It is a big problem in Australia too where people use CC more often than debit cards or cash to pay for everyday items.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update, glad to hear there's no charge. I'll be avoiding those 2. I use the one at the Rural Bank across from Merinda's. If you get any further info on what happened please let us know.