Salary For Maid/helper

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Here is an example, One day I bought flowers at the market for my wife. The vendor said P200, no biggie I paid it, sounded fair. Naturally it was about P50 more than a local pays. 6 months later the wife went to buy some flowers for a religious festival. Vendor said P200, she tried to haggle, vendor says to her "that's what your husband pays" and wouldn't budge.

This is why I have never been to the wet market with Abby and never will!  Once she is seen with me, a copy of my $ sign will be transferred from my forehead to hers!   :hystery:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You can be extremely generous with your domestic helpers, but this has unintended consequences. My wife paid them nearly double the going rate, and the aunties and cousins came around to explain that the helpers talk among themselves. It creates pressure for others to be also generous. If not relatives, your neighbors might resent it. The explanation given by the family is my wife is American so she felt obligated to pay the American rate.

What you pay your employee is between you and them, not some meddling relatives or neighbors. You don't owe anyone an explanation. The aunties and cousins need to mind their own damn business.     

Mike, I think I interpreted what JJR said a bit differently than you did.  I don't think most people would feel obligated to explain why they are paying higher, but you can't keep anyone from talking about wages.  They are going to talk and find out what others are making.  Paying over the upward boundary of a wage range naturally puts pressure on the entire range to move up.

It really was the same in the US corporate world.  Especially during annual review time, "The Company" would always tell the employees not to discuss their salaries, but you know that many do.

Here is the Philippines, it is multiplied 10X because you know most Filipinos want to know the cost or price of everything.  When we had our first visiting relatives here in Subic, several asked me "how much is the rent", etc., and I politely told them that is private.  I even explained to one (someone I like and get along well with) that in my culture it is impolite to ask about things like that.

We paid our former nanny 3200 and then 3500 for live-in services.  Within a few months she knew what our friends nanny's were making, and one of them is being paid p7000, which seems a bit much, but she does it all.  The parents were back and forth to SG a lot then, and she ran the entire house including paying bills etc.  Obviously they trust her.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
but you can't keep anyone from talking about wages.
It really was the same in the US corporate world. Especially during annual review time, "The Company" would always tell the employees not to discuss their salaries, but you know that many do.
Yes. But many exaggerates...   :)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Here is the Philippines, it is multiplied 10X because you know most Filipinos want to know the cost or price of everything.  When we had our first visiting relatives here in Subic, several asked me "how much is the rent", etc., and I politely told them that is private.  I even explained to one (someone I like and get along well with) that in my culture it is impolite to ask about things like that.

The Curious Filipino Syndrome continues. When American male friends ask, they want to know about the engine for the RV (3.0L V-6 Turbo Diesel 188 horsepower). Then we discuss the merits of gas over diesel. They are astonished I will get 18 to 22 miles per gallon because of the new ultra low sulfur diesel fuel. It is also less polluting that gasoline.

First thing Filipinos asked is, "How much?" That is followed by more money questions like, "How much will you spend?" My wife's Filipina friends must think we are rich because she teases them by saying, "The RV includes maid's quarters." They have no idea that a Class B motorhome is the size of a van. She knows that in the Philippines every home and condominium includes a closet size room for the maid(s). 

• Like 4