Daily Pay For Live Out Housekeeper / Cook / Maid

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The OP's question is about a part time, one or two day a week, helper. The Kasambahay Law on minimum salary and benefits does not apply.

Right.  1 or 2 days a week.  I'm assuming that we don't have to worry about Philhealth or SS, and I expect the daily rate to be higher when employing someone only 1 or 2 days a week without those benefits.  The question is, how much higher?  It really is not a big deal to me but the other half is always comparing to other wages including her old wage as an accountant!  :)

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Under the new law, domestic helpers in Metro Manila will get a minimum salary of P2,500 monthly. Those employed in major cities and municipalities outside the metropolis will be getting a monthly salary of not lower than P2,000 while the minimum pay in other areas is pegged at P1,500.
So you can see I pay well above the required minimums. We do this because our maid/cook/shopper/event planner/car washer/just about anything else is a good worker and has been working for our family her whole life.
Yes, BUT the 2500/2000/1500p are PLUS a room, 3 meals per day and some extra benefits (as some basic medicals.) which need to be compensated to be fair to live OUT help.

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Lots of single guys have friends with "benefits" that come over,you both have fun and she gets a parting gift. I live alone here in states in a 3bdrm,2bath house and I do my own dishes,sweeping,dusting,mopping floors,laundry,vacuuming,light outdoor yard work. My plan is to text them..Hey would like like to earn some pesos today for some housework? Yes or No? I move on to the next girl. These are just ?????? friends that need cash. No crazy jealous girls that will cause drama. My filipina gf would love to do it,but she has enough on her plate.

Julia
Posted
Posted

LIVE OUT MAID:

P3500 per month

P117 per day (30 day month)

8-5 (depending on traffic, or if we need her to stay longer for an event extra pay given)

Lunch and merienda provided

Phil Health and social security paid

13th month pay given.

Having said all that, our maid has been working for my wife's family since a teenager. In fact she is as much a companion to my wife as anything else. Her brothers come and do any heavy lifting jobs I am to lazy to do. Her sister in law (and as many other female relatives we need) come over and help at special occasions. Her grandmother has been hired as the Maid/companion to my brother in laws mother in law. Shocked the heck out of me when I finally figured this all out. It is almost feudal in nature.

Others might disagree but if you do find a good maid I believe it is worth it to pay a bit more and keep them happy and loyal. But that's just me.

Forgot to add she eats what eat and will cook our meals as often as not.

:th_thbestpost:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, using the Australian example for what we call "casual" workers here i.e. workers that aren't permanent full-time eg: The majority of hospitality or retail staff on hourly rates.  Australian law dictates that a casual worker is paid the same as a full-time worker on a pro-rata hourly rate basis plus 25% loading.  Basic level retail staff are paid about $18AUD/hour, so a casual is paid $22.50/hour.  Now at first this seems like a really good deal, and in many cases it is but the downside is if you don't work, i.e you're sick, or need a day off for anything, you don't have sick leave so you aren't paid.  You don't have annual leave, so if you want a holiday, you aren't paid whilst away.  You are also subject to the whims of the boss with regards to amount of hours worked; one week you may do 45 hours, the next you may only be rostered on for 6 so there's that lack of security and stability.  Another downside is it is far, far easier to fire a casual worker here than someone full-time under Australia's unfair dismissal laws.  Paying a waiter/waitress/server $22.50 an hour?  Seems like a lot compared to North America, but it has to be remembered we don't have a culture of tipping here (20% was the standard when I was living in Portland, Oregon 2010 - '12) and our ATO (Australian Taxation Office) doesn't factor in tips on the rare occasions they are paid, unlike the US IRS. 

Anyway, the point of all that is that maybe a maid/helper paid on a daily basis could possibly be paid in a similar fashion.  2500PHP/20 X 1.25 (20 days a month is a standard working week in most countries we're all familiar with) which brings her up to 156.25PHP/day.  Just as a base, I'd personally reward good service, up it a little, or penalise poor i.e. get rid of her. 

Just a thought. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If a helper is p/t she's going to have more laundry and a dirtier house to clean. That's the way I looked at it. I would consider what the daily pay is for unskilled labor of any kind. In our town that's 250 per day. I would start there.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Very useful for purposes of reference but doesn't apply to household workers like helpers.

"Wage Orders issued by the Boards cover only private sector workers, except for household helpers and persons in the personal employ of another, including family drivers." 

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

1.Pay a decent living wage for the services rendered,

2,if it was a friend or loved one that was working what would you pay her/him?

3.REMEMBER her salary, that she supports others on this,, (a trickle down effect)

....................................................................................................

If i had a part time help. I would pay what is appropriate for her services/work given,

if she had to do extra than adjusted.

the "minimum daily wage" in NCR/manila is 426/466?

http://www.nwpc.dole.gov.ph/pages/ncr/cmwr_table.html

http://www.nwpc.dole.gov.ph/rtwpb.html

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Very useful for purposes of reference but doesn't apply to household workers like helpers.

"Wage Orders issued by the Boards cover only private sector workers, except for household helpers and persons in the personal employ of another, including family drivers." 

2500PHP/20
2500p is for live IN helpers (in Manila).

That's why I find it more fair to compare with unskilled labour.

2,if it was a friend or loved one that was working what would you pay her/him?
  ((Actualy I plan to pay my gf a salary as a business assistant in startup (=before engaged/married)  because then she don't need other income and it suit both speed up business startup, and we get more time together, so we can speed up too deciding if we suit to marry each other  :)