The Perfect Laptop?

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
Putting the 3200x1800 res on a 13 in display makes the icons, text, etc very small

I bought a Dell inspiron many years ago with a 1600 x 1200 10 inch screen and the icons were really tiny indeed. I'm require to wear glasses now my eyes aren't good so tiny icons are a no no. I don't really understand the necessity for such a high screen pixel count on small screens and neither did dell. They put 3200x1800 on a 15.6 inch laptop display which is far more useful IMO

Link to DELL XPS 15 Review

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I agree, my current laptop is 13.3 in and I couldn't use it for long w/o a monitor. I would like to see the 3200x1800 on a 15.6 display, I'll bet it's awesome.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

As many here know, I am hard core Linux. I hate Winblows with a passion! But a Mac? Hmmm... Well, it's UNIX... Not quite Linux... Oh what the heck! I just grabbed a 2013 Macbook Air - the one with the 12 hour battery charge...! Sorry all but I needed something that could run Scrivener! (Yeah... Just found out there is a free Linux beta for Scrivener!). Still, I won't have to buy a new machine for years! And it's already set up for a Linux dual-boot... Never thought I'd see the day but gawd I love that Macbook! Reliable and well made... And runs Linux like you won't believe!!! Hehe!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I like Win 7 and have Ubuntu on my flash drive for a backup boot up but would love to try a MAC. Problem is I can't afford it. hehehe

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I like the touch screen option so a MAC (at least for now) won't work for me. But eventually they'll come around.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Saying that all ultrabooks fall down on the 2 usb's especially if you have external harddrives and dvd.  add a keyboard and mouse, my laptop is connected to a 24 inch monitor, you've run out of usb ports and need to swap devices around.

Easy fixed with a hub like these. Cheap too  :thumbsup:

post-1-0-85723200-1397383409_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Saying that all ultrabooks fall down on the 2 usb's especially if you have external harddrives and dvd.  add a keyboard and mouse, my laptop is connected to a 24 inch monitor, you've run out of usb ports and need to swap devices around.

Easy fixed with a hub like these. Cheap too  :thumbsup:

attachicon.gifusb hub.jpg

The problem with USB hubs is that they may not provide enough power for the devices dangling off of these. As long as they are low wattage (mice, etc.) these are a viable option

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
The problem with USB hubs is that they may not provide enough power for the devices dangling off of these. As long as they are low wattage (mice, etc.) these are a viable option

They do make self powered USB hubs .... plug them into a power source then into a USB port ....... I have 2 and they work extremely well ..... I can use one with my USB 500g external My Passport HD ..... not sure they have them here in the Phils though .....

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

I have the powered usb hubs but they cause a slight delay when a wireless kb and mouse are connected to them.  Not a problem normally but can't be used if playing any game like World of Tanks or Call of Duty. That of course is with the hubs I have other hubs may work better

Americano
Posted
Posted

Does anyone make a USB Hub that is only wires inside and not electronics?  I have tried 2 USB Hubs purchased in the Philippines on my Toshiba laptop and it always says the attached device is not recognized.