The Perfect Laptop?

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

The use i have for a touchscreen editing pictures select what you want hit the crop button job done.  Windows 8.1 may have issues for some, I haven't found any myself but the last update went some way to fixing the keyboard and mouse problems people had complained about. and when windows 9 is released which is meant to be this year it will be the only OS to work on phone tablet and desktop.  Ubuntu though good, Mint is better, does not work for a casual user Windows does

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The use i have for a touchscreen editing pictures select what you want hit the crop button job done. Windows 8.1 may have issues for some, I haven't found any myself but the last update went some way to fixing the keyboard and mouse problems people had complained about. and when windows 9 is released which is meant to be this year it will be the only OS to work on phone tablet and desktop. Ubuntu though good, Mint is better, does not work for a casual user Windows does

Ubuntu will work on phone, tablet and desktop and has for a while. The biggest issue is that Arm chips don't cooperate in process between different manufacturer's specifications. In other words, a different version is needed for every tablet and phone model out there. There is no way MS will make different versions so you will end up with a very basic o/s that will not operate all the hardware on every other machine. Why can we do that on a PC? Because the engineers follow specific standards in design that aren't there for phones or tablets.

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Ubuntu will never work as 1 OS on all machines, they are going the way Apple have.  Windows will it does now look in their store but will get better with windows 9.  The big gripe I have with Ubuntu is Ubuntu One.  The next big place to store your important files buy music and videos.  Now Move your files you have on Ubuntu One by july or we will be deleting them and that is from an email sent to me by Ubuntu one.  luckily I got 25Gb free storage with Skydrive so I know which OS i will be staying with

i am bob
Posted
Posted

"Gorilla arm" is a term coined 30 years ago by engineers, it was outdated even then. But it's been kept alive in large part by Apple management, including the late founder, which translates to "I didn't develop it so I'll badmouth it so you won't buy it". In practice it doesn't work like that, you don't keep your arm extended, it's just another input option along with mouse and kb, nothing more. I believe it's a moot point anyway because in a few years almost all the displays, including Macs, will be touch screen. But there are valid reasons not to buy it now - more expensive, Windows 8 issues, and sucks batteries but technology will take care of these things. "Gorilla arms", nah.

I believe the term is accredited to Paul Allen - cofounder of Microsoft - when he referred to the IBM engineers... "arms strong like a gorilla but the brains of a chimpanzee " was the quote.

I have to follow the crowd on the appeal of a touch screen desk top. The only viable machine I can immediately think of that would be preferential would be with a screen mounted flat on your desk - as you see on television shows such as the "pool table" on the current version of Hawaii 50. And, considering that this is a prop computer and doesn't really work...

I myself am waiting for the contact lens screen... Though I really don't want touch screen! Hehe! Voice controlled should be out in about a year so...! :)

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ubuntu will never work as 1 OS on all machines, they are going the way Apple have. Windows will it does now look in their store but will get better with windows 9. The big gripe I have with Ubuntu is Ubuntu One. The next big place to store your important files buy music and videos. Now Move your files you have on Ubuntu One by july or we will be deleting them and that is from an email sent to me by Ubuntu one. luckily I got 25Gb free storage with Skydrive so I know which OS i will be staying with

Best take another look... Ubuntu does and does it well! I know because I have it it my hands right now! No issues at all! Microsoft does not have a working version yet (so much missing from their demos) and Windows 9 is no better. As for Ubuntu One? Follow the trail... Who was Ubuntu using for their cloud? Who just signed a contract with Microsoft and a whole bunch of copyright lawsuits disappeared? Who then turned around and walked away from Canonical without completing their contract? Just another example of MacroCrap doing their best to squash any competition. As for SkyDrive? Just got hacked again the other day though the news was squashed really quickly... It's because of things like this that I refuse to use Windows if there is any other option! And it's been a while since there hasn't been another option!!! :)

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I haven't tried a t/s laptop yet, just reading the various tech sites of those who have actually used it, either for professional or personal use. They're somewhat split but mainly favorable, many expressing surprise at it's usefulness. I try to keep an open mind on new technology (or new applications for not-so-new). As for opinions, I always consider the source; those who haven't even tried it but dismiss it outright because they know better, I ignore. 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I should mention that, with my post above, I was referring to MS not having a working o/s for any hardware other than their own or the few who have paid the big bucks to have it work on their hardware. Somebody is going to say that it's the same for Android.. Sorry but actually it's not. Android the manufacturers were paying for a special version with their bloatware included. For MS, it is just to have it work on that hardware.

Sent from my Samsung Tab 3 by Tapatalk, 6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly...

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think everyone is going to have a sweet spot for a mobile computing device. I hope to not have to carry a laptop at all, just a big phablet phone. Any real heavy lifting will be done at home on a desktop computer, after all, I'm not going to drag around a printer with me. When downloading, the fastest computer in the world is still only as fast as it's connection, who needs a ferrari if you can never get out of the parking garage? I can't dispute that a bigger screen is better, I like bigger screens, but the phablet will fit in my thigh bellows pocket and will literally will go everywhere with me, even the detached CR. Even as slim, lightweight and portable as the subject laptop is, I believe at some point you will leave it behind because of the unwanted bulk and you will be reduced to using your phone anyway, or an internet cafe. This is of course me, my travel is not work related.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

With Android you have the ability to boot into a custom recovery mode (before the OS loads) and do a complete recovery to whenever the point in time your backup was made. No matter what you screw up (or "stuff happens"), with a couple of clicks you are back to exactly where you were in about 5 minutes, no other intervention needed. Does any other OS have that capability? 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

With Android you have the ability to boot into a custom recovery mode (before the OS loads) and do a complete recovery to whenever the point in time your backup was made. No matter what you screw up (or "stuff happens"), with a couple of clicks you are back to exactly where you were in about 5 minutes, no other intervention needed. Does any other OS have that capability?

Just about any o/s will repair to their back up points. And if the back up is corrupt, most o/s (including Android) can be restored from the hdd - many Linux varieties can be done from a thumb drive as well. Not sure if I'm catching your point?

Sent from my Samsung Tab 3 by Tapatalk, 6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly...