The Perfect Laptop?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

True, but my point was how easy and fast it is with Android - before the OS even loads. Certainly not the case with Windows.  

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Its the same with Ubuntu but then it was the Ubuntu group at Canonical who developed Android for Google in the first place. They just brought some of their better ideas with them.

Sent from my Samsung Tab 3 by Tapatalk, 6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly...

• 3 months later...
David Breen
Posted
Posted

Hp always very reliable and delight to work with :no:

• 3 weeks later...
Alby
Posted
Posted

Mike, even though he's kidding, sounds like my Filipina gf. If it's a name that rings well then it must be great so buy it.

Very simple logic especially if the money is not yours :)

Buy what you need and not what you can afford!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I'm puzzling over that bit of advice.  What exactly do we 'need' in a laptop?  Take Bob for example, all he needs are "6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly"

So I would say buy the best you can afford as its really just a luxury anyway.  (Quite a few foreigners living here in mini-budgets do not have a computer of any kind)

Alby
Posted
Posted

One time I bough the latest BMW. I remember paying 45k USD cash for it. However, I am not one who likes driving and only used it once a week to do my grocery then hide at home.

I parked that $45K in the garage! Every time I went for any repair people would say, oh ... He drives a BM so it's ok to double the charge!

Was I stupid or what?

After it, I went to google and searched on the cheapest car in the US that does everything I needed. It was for $13k USD. I had no problem parking that car and it did everything I needed. Nobody looked at me again too :)

Same with buying a PC or anything. Decide what you need and not what you can afford.

If what you need happened to a BM, then that's fine coz you need it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

I'm puzzling over that bit of advice.  What exactly do we 'need' in a laptop?  Take Bob for example, all he needs are "6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly"

So I would say buy the best you can afford as its really just a luxury anyway.  (Quite a few foreigners living here in mini-budgets do not have a computer of any kind)

"Take Bob for example, all he needs are "6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly"  Didn't you forget the monkeys, string and tin cans?  hehe

I agree that the perfect laptop depends on what you need and how much it cost in relationship to how much money you have to spend on it.  For some people an Apple laptop is perfect but for me they are too expensive.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have never managed to fill up even a modest hard drive and I presume the people who do are packrats who never throw away anything, like my sister in law, she fills one up with junk and buys a new computer. She can't even bear to part with programs that she knows have viruses in them. Another thing is processor power / speed. Are you trying to figure orbital mechanics in real time? Can you really tell the difference between a nanosecond and a picosecond? I bought a business laptop with a low powered cpu with only 1 GB of ram which was fine running Ubuntu but I needed Windows for some programs that weren't available for Ubuntu and no work arounds so I upgraded the ram to 8GB. 4 GB would have done it but 8 GB was the same price. I could have made it 25 GB which I think is all you would get even with two 16 GB sticks on my laptop. I don't believe I would have been able to tell the difference, except my wallet would have been lighter. Admittedly, I don't run a flight simulator on my laptop, but then again, how many do? :tiphat:

The fastest computer in the world is probably not going to do you much good if you don't have a great internet connection. I don't know about anyone else but I don't see the point of owning a Ferrari that I can't get out of the parking garage.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

Each one of us has their own buying behavior: name brand, color, style, price and operating software.  Let's talk
about features or capabilities based on personal usage:

Mobility -- weight, size, battery life, keyboard or touch screen (netbook, tablet or laptop)?
Hardware -- speed, SSD, memory, ports, size of screen, optional hardware availability?
Reliability -- extended warranty, local repair, parts availability, after sales service? 

I'm sure I missed something else to consider but personally, I would concentrate on the reliability of the device
being used in extreme environment -- temperature, humidity, airborne pollutants and power fluctuations.  We all
know about the local or regional wireless service that have been discussed in many topics.

My choice of a perfect laptop or any other portable PC may not be perfect for you.  In any case, it becomes

obsolete the following year.  I still use it though but it's becoming harder and harder to find the ribbon:

post-686-0-22099500-1409522743_thumb.jpg

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm puzzling over that bit of advice. What exactly do we 'need' in a laptop? Take Bob for example, all he needs are "6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly"

So I would say buy the best you can afford as its really just a luxury anyway. (Quite a few foreigners living here in mini-budgets do not have a computer of any kind) d

"Take Bob for example, all he needs are "6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly" Didn't you forget the monkeys, string and tin cans? hehe

I agree that the perfect laptop depends on what you need and how much it cost in relationship to how much money you have to spend on it. For some people an Apple laptop is perfect but for me they are too expensive.

Ah, c'mon guys! That was my tablet! Besides, the Gibson was a $1300 bass when I got it back in 1979... :)

As for what a person really needs? It depends really on what you need it for. In my case, I have my MacBook Air for my writing and music, an antique HP (Ubuntu)as backup for writing (that keyboard gets my mind working when the Mac can't cut it) and an Asus (Ubuntu Studio) for my film and audio editing. The tablet is for when I'm just lying around bored...! Hmmm... I'm doing this on my Nexus 4 phone... :)

Edited by I am bob