The Perfect Laptop?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My choice of a perfect laptop or any other portable PC may not be perfect for you.  In any case, it becomes

obsolete the following year.  I still use it though but it's becoming harder and harder to find the ribbon:

attachicon.gifJake's high tech.JPG

Hey Jake you get a good internet connection on that model?   :tiphat:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

My laptop isn't that old and on the intelligence scale I place it between lawyer and coffeepot.......coffeepot being the high end of the scale. :)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
Sally Salvatore
Posted
Posted

I am going to wait for the Surface Pro 4, I like the mobility of a tablet. I am not a gamer or run anything but internet programs so all I need is a browser, Cam and wireless.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-may-have-two-variants-and-should-be-available-before-the-rumored-iPad-Pro_id66964

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Since I started this topic a year ago I'll update it. I ended up getting the Samsung ATIV Book 9 2014 Edition (already obsolete!) The main thing is it has a 15.6 in screen because I wanted to get rid of the monitor because it was blocking my view of the 2 year old. The thing I like the most is the SSD drive, it makes all the difference. And the speakers are awesome for a laptop. The battery life is good and that was a big selling point for me living with blackouts. We had quite a discussion earlier in the thread about touch screen; after having the laptop 6 months I have hardly used it at all. A big part of that is because I'm retired and not sitting at a desk so reaching to the screen doesn't make much sense. Win8.1 works fine, I don't see what all the hoopla is I guess people hate change. I hear Samsung is getting out of the laptop biz, that's too bad because they make a quality product. My opinion, of course.

• Like 4

Wrye83
Posted
Posted

One thing to take note of on these 3200x1600 resolution is that Windows 8 does not fully support it. I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 with that resolution and I just had to give up and bring the resolution down while I was on Windows. It was at many times unusable. I have since switched that laptop over to Linux. Had many of the same problems but to a much lessor extent. I still prefer to just drop it down as a screen that small really doesn't benefit much from it. The OPs laptop and my Lenovo are very similar in specs and I have to say that I really like the computer. And I agree SSDs really do make a world of difference. Windows was booted up and ready to go in about 12 seconds, Linux a little under 10 seconds. 

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There have to be compromises in small electronics. The previous model had the higher res but it eats up the battery so they made a marketing decision to drop it to 1920x1080 to sell the longer battery life. Now I read reviews complaining that the display is "only" 1080p. Really? 

• Like 1

Wrye83
Posted
Posted

You can't please everyone. I really don't see the benefit of that resolution with such small screen, or really any screen. I have yet to see any content produced at that resolution. I'll take the extra battery life any day and I think the vast majority of users would say the same thing. 

• Like 2

deevey
Posted
Posted

Does anyone make a USB Hub that is only wires inside and not electronics?  I have tried 2 USB Hubs purchased in the Philippines on my Toshiba laptop and it always says the attached device is not recognized.

I use the really ridiculous looking "Angry Birds" USB hubs from CDR king, they can be powered externally too and haven't had one fail yet even with a multitude of devices running from it (soundcards / printers / USB keys / Midi Devices). 

http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=16551&main=140#.VQb8LULGqLY

It might be that you are running from a USB 3 port - that can cause issues with a ton of devices if it doesn't auto switch to usb 2.0  mode (sometimes you can force USB2 in the bios) 

You can't please everyone. I really don't see the benefit of that resolution with such small screen, or really any screen. I have yet to see any content produced at that resolution. I'll take the extra battery life any day and I think the vast majority of users would say the same thing. 

If an application (or OS for that matter) is properly developed for High resolution, you shouldnt see any difference in the size of menus and fonts over standard resolutions, you will however notice a difference in the "crispness" of everything. 

Also for the likes of Video editing for example, it means you can edit a 1080p movie at full resolution within a Window on the screen and still have enough room left over for all the editing functions. 

The vast majority of users would not need the extra pixels for sure, but the higher resolution is far easier on the eyes.  

"Gorilla arm" is a term coined 30 years ago by engineers, it was outdated even then. But it's been kept alive in large part by Apple management, including the late founder, which translates to "I didn't develop it so I'll badmouth it so you won't buy it". In practice it doesn't work like that, you don't keep your arm extended, it's just another input option along with mouse and kb, nothing more. I believe it's a moot point anyway because in a few years almost all the displays, including Macs, will be touch screen. But there are valid reasons not to buy it now - more expensive, Windows 8 issues, and sucks batteries but technology will take care of these things. "Gorilla arms", nah.  

The only usefulness of a touch screen PC IMHO is limited to the likes of Point of Sale or Kiosk Applications where you actually need to punch stuff in while standing up or where the screen is tilted and you look down at it (umm like a tablet :p)  

I'll take my Apple Trackpad any day over a Touch screen PC - I don't believe waving your arms at 90º to do "tasks" is the way forward -- cool gimmick, but just a gimmick and genuinely cant see how it can be properly integrated for day to day computing on a regular screen. Perhaps a complimentary mini tablet style trackpad with monitor setup where the mini screen gives secondly feedback to the main application on the monitor e.g. "end call", note taking etc ... 

... who knows, Microsoft seem to be betting alot on it, but it does not seem to be catching on for Notebook users - everyone I know that has a touchscreen laptop still uses the mouse 99.99% of the time. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
Capa
Posted
Posted
On 3/11/2015 at 4:40 AM, Wrye83 said:

One thing to take note of on these 3200x1600 resolution is that Windows 8 does not fully support it. I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 with that resolution and I just had to give up and bring the resolution down while I was on Windows. It was at many times unusable. I have since switched that laptop over to Linux. Had many of the same problems but to a much lessor extent. I still prefer to just drop it down as a screen that small really doesn't benefit much from it. The OPs laptop and my Lenovo are very similar in specs and I have to say that I really like the computer. And I agree SSDs really do make a world of difference. Windows was booted up and ready to go in about 12 seconds, Linux a little under 10 seconds. 

Lenovo makes excellent laptops, but I like ASUS for the 2-year warranty. Your boot times are slow, I get Linux to boot up in 6 seconds with my SSD.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Capa said:

Lenovo makes excellent laptops, but I like ASUS for the 2-year warranty. Your boot times are slow, I get Linux to boot up in 6 seconds with my SSD.

Please look at the bottom of the topic before posting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.