A Download Program For Youtube Videos

Markham
Posted
Posted

I will be releasing Version 4 in a day or so's time.

The Big News is that you can now use my downloader to retrieve videos from a number of other sites including Vimeo, DailyMotion, BBC (iPlayer), CBS, CanalPlus, CNN, ComedyCentral and Discovery. This is made possible by means of an optional "plug-in" which the downloader uses to supply it with all the necessary information. But you may need to have a proxy/VPN connection in order to access some of these sites - you will definitely need an IP Address in the UK to access BBC content and you'll need an IP Address in the US for CBS, CNN, ComedyCentral and  Discovery.

BBC content can be huge: an episode of the highly-popular "Top Gear" motoring program with a running time of 60 minutes will occupy around 485 megabytes of disk space at the highest resolution available (832 x 468). All the BBC's content is currently in a Flash (FLV) container that contains a DRM metadata stream in addition to the video and audio streams: the downloaded files are automatically converted to MP4 without any loss of quality (provided you have the "Ffmpeg" option installed).

YouTube has recently added some new version options specifically for playback on Apple devices (such as iPad) and these are now recognised.

I've also traced and killed some user-interface "inconsistencies" (read: "bugs"!).

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

I was very happy with the first version of your Youtube Downloader and it kept getting better with every update so I can't wait to try version 4. Thank you for spending your time and effort to provide this downloader to us.

• Like 2

Markham
Posted
Posted

I was very happy with the first version of your Youtube Downloader and it kept getting better with every update so I can't wait to try version 4. Thank you for spending your time and effort to provide this downloader to us.

Thank you for your kind words, Phil, it's always welcome to be appreciated!

Just to whet your appetite a little more, this screenshot shows the new version in action:

post-190-0-23245200-1399565618_thumb.jpg

The first download is from YouTube, the second is from the BBC and the third is a Vimeo download.

• Like 2

Markham
Posted
Posted

Here's Version 4 as promised!

If you want to be able to download from sites other than YouTube, you'll need to install the third-party Media Plug-In - do this from the "Open ..." drop-down menu.

Please let me know of any problems/issues and I'll do my best to fix.

Mark

Edit: Please see next post for the download. I am unable to delete this attachment but please ignore it.

YouTubeDownloaderVersion400.zip

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

My apologies to anyone who downloaded Version 4.00, it was unfortunately built with the wrong version of one of the source files.

A fully-working version is attached to this post.

YouTubeDownloaderVersion401.zip

• Like 2

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Could you explain any legal issues with your program.  I take it all permissions have been granted by the relevant bodies for downloading vidoes

Markham
Posted
Posted

Could you explain any legal issues with your program.  I take it all permissions have been granted by the relevant bodies for downloading vidoes

My position is very simply this: I make the software and offer it to anyone who wants a copy free of charge. When you install the software, you have to agree to the terms of the License Agreement which (in part) states: "You agree to use this program in accordance with any terms and conditions determined and published by the owners of the video content and the sites that host such content which may apply to the geographic territory in which you reside." To use an analogy: I manufacture the guns but I can not control how, where or when my guns are used.

It is up to you, if you're a user, to seek any necessary permissions if you believe you have a need to do so but I rather doubt such is actually necessary since one could argue "fair use".

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Markham
Posted
Posted

Here's the latest update which includes a number of new features, many of which you can see in the images I've posted. "Under the hood", I've added support for four new video resolutions for YouTube, including 4K UHD (3840 x 2160).

Please download all 3 Zip files attached to this post and unzip them. You should then have:

• YouTubeDownloaderVersion450.exe (285 KB)
  • YouTubeDownloaderVersion450-1.bin (421 KB)
  • YouTubeDownloaderVersion450-2.bin (434 KB)

And then double-click on the EXE file to start the installation process - there is no need to uninstall any prior release.

post-190-0-09578700-1401876143_thumb.png  post-190-0-96560600-1401876146_thumb.png

post-190-0-16666400-1401876151_thumb.png  post-190-0-42850600-1401876155_thumb.png

post-190-0-81041100-1401876158_thumb.png

Here are the 3 files to download:

YouTubeDownloaderVersion450.zip

YouTubeDownloaderVersion450-1.zip

YouTubeDownloaderVersion450-2.zip

Enjoy!

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Here are the 3 files to download:  YouTubeDownloaderVersion450.zip   284.24KB  2 downloads  YouTubeDownloaderVersion450-1.zip   421.23KB  1 downloads  YouTubeDownloaderVersion450-2.zip   433.74KB  1 downloads   Enjoy!

Well mark, I have tried to down load this but  mcAfee keep telling me it is Unsafe. Has anyone else had problems??

:tiphat:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Jack, one of the zipped files is an executable (exe) but it is safe to download. 

• Like 1