Health Insurance

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Obviously, I don't know the situation with your friend and I'm very sorry to hear about it. In general, if you claim Philhealth the deduction is the first thing taken off the bill before any other insurance enters into it. Perhaps they had already applied the deduction and there was a balance due. In that case Philhealth is not involved. The person who told you Philhealth is for Filipinos only is dead wrong.

Regardless of if there might be some problems claiming Philhealth, I would still buy it and take the risk. It is only p500 a quarter.

Just so that everyone is aware, PhilHealth has changed their qualifying period towards availment for Individually Paying members and Employed members. You are now required to have 9 months paid during the previous 12 months prior to the month of availment for all confinements including the availment of Outpatient benefits. This would explain the issue Dave's friend had, would it not?

Sent from my Samsung Tab 3 by Tapatalk, 6 talking Parrots, Jungle Drummers and one mean Gibson RD Standard fretless bass slapped silly...

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Phillhealth does pay out for foreigners it paid out for me in April this year.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Questions for those who had claims on Phil Health::  Did you have any hassles?  Did you claim to them direct or just show your card at the hospital?  Are you married to or with a filipina or totally single no gf (which was the case of my friend).

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Dave, as I recall it was just as the "Outright/Automatic Deduction Of Benefits" states except there was no "agreeing with physician". Try to even find them when needed. Filled out a form and showed the card. And copies, of course.

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/members/employed/procedure.html

Gerry the Brit
Posted
Posted

What are the benefits with Phil Health ?

Can somebody kindly give me a link

Thomas
Posted
Posted

What are the benefits with Phil Health ?

Can somebody kindly give me a link

I don't remember where I read the conditions, but I suppouse it was somewhere at this

http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/

For some common illnesses, PhilHealth have static sums they cover. For some such they cover rather much, while for other treatments they only cover a rather small part. And they subsides a bit of medecin costs.  It DON'T cover any extra for private room.

In average for different illnesses PhilHealth cover a minor part. BUT it's good to have anyway, because benefits as PhilHealth check the bills, which can reduce what the hospital demand from us. And in some cases it can make we get treatment when haven't brought money enough. The fee is low, so I find it worth it. (But I haven't checked since the fees raised rather much for others than the most poor.)

johnb
Posted
Posted

This is isn’t directly linked with medical insurance, however its not only getting a payment from your insurance company its also about quality of care/treatment, I have worked in five different developing countries over the years and only once till recently been hospitalized.

Just three weeks ago I was in Nairobi trying to secure a work permit for a construction job there, whilst there I picked up Malaria, I have had malaria many times the last time before this was in the UK where I was put in Brighton Hospital with suspected meningitis,[that’s another story]

In Nairobi I had blood slides taken and Malaria was confirmed and a Doctor prescribed a Malaria treatment and a pain killer, I returned to the Hotel took the meds and went to bed. I awoke with diarrhea about 7.30am when checking the bowl I could see it was pure blood, I cleaned the place up, but then started vomiting blood, I informed reception and was helped down the stairs to a taxi and on to a Hospital, I spent 3 days in Hospital to get the bleeding under control they blamed the mixture of the malaria meds and my Diabetes drugs and sent me back to the hotel.

Following morning more blood, the toilet resembled the movie physco, again I was taken back to the Hospital, this time they blamed it on violent coughing through the night , for the second time I had a camera stuck down my throat to have a good look around. I spent the night in hospital and was then released in time to catch my flight back to the UK that evening, the flight was Nairobi to Birmingham UK via a one hour transit in Paris.

By the time I reached the airport I could no longer walk and asked for a wheel chair, a Nairobi Dr interviewed me and said I would be better of in a UK hospital and gave me a document saying fit to fly.

The flight was 8 ½ hours and as we came in to land at Paris I already knew I couldn’t move, I waited for the plane to empty then asked for a medic, some French medics arrived took my blood pressure etc announced me anemic and said I had to get to a hospital, they helped me off the plane and laid me out in the Ambulance, at this point the vomiting started and I spread 4 pints of  blood all round the place, I had been bleeding into my stomach for something like 12 hours, I spent 6 days in a French Hospital till they managed to stop the bleeding, also had a camera stuck down my throat another two times[endoscopy], I returned to the UK about 6 days ago,I am living alone and haven’t bled since, but the anemia is slowing me down and I walk at present on a walking stick have loss of breath and dizzynes, there’s been some questions about the medication that the hospital in Nairobi put me on, and the amount of anesthesia given to me during the endoscopy, the French didn’t give any Anesthesia just shoved the bugger down there twice lol. My British Doctor has now taken another bunch of blood slides, I have been booked for another endoscopy in a fortnight, I guess what I’m trying to say with my still dizzy head is if these insurance companies will argue over paying a bill, what level of care can you expect.

A British friend of mine was hospitalized in Cebu back in 2008, he needed a blood transfusion as his blood wasn’t clotting, the hospital didn’t have his type of blood in stock so I was asked to take a blood slide of his blood to local hospitals to buy a bag, I managed to find the blood then go pay the cashier, then walk back to the hospital with his blood under my arm, he survived but I do wonder if I wasn’t these who would have helped.

John

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
A British friend of mine was hospitalized in Cebu back in 2008, he needed a blood transfusion as his blood wasn’t clotting, the hospital didn’t have his type of blood in stock so I was asked to take a blood slide of his blood to local hospitals to buy a bag, I managed to find the blood then go pay the cashier, then walk back to the hospital with his blood under my arm, he survived but I do wonder if I wasn’t these who would have helped.
I'm suprised the blood need isn't solved by just pay the doners a litle in countries with many poor people. Anyone have idea how come??

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I'm suprised the blood need isn't solved by just pay the doners a litle in countries with many poor people. Anyone have idea how come??

I have heard (this is gossip but I have not heard it disputed yet) that there are tricycle drivers perfectly willing to sell their blood if you can find one with no drugs or alcohol in his system.  I have also heard that the hospital will supply blood at an exorbitant price.  Can anyone confirm if this gossip is true?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would think there would be a nurse willing to sell a pint for $$$ if she could and if it is allowed.