If You Could Do It All Over Again.

BlancoDiablo
Posted
Posted

If you could go back in time, what would you do differently?  I am mostly looking for those who move to the Phils but any words of wisdom from the sage members of this forum would not go on deaf ears.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I would do exactly the same thing except start selling my stuff a lot sooner ..... I ended up giving away a ton of stuff that didn't sell ..... just means I would have more money to put in our nest egg .... but I don't dwell on the subject .... shoulda ..... coulda .... woulda ..... all water under the bridge .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well I should have started saving money earlier... but I enjoyed my life... so I guess I did ok. 

The only regret is that I did not date my art teacher in high school.   I was 17 (and stupid), she was 35 and could have taught me a lot.... she wanted me so bad...  oh well such is life   :tiphat:

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

If you could go back in time, what would you do differently?  I am mostly looking for those who move to the Phils but any words of wisdom from the sage members of this forum would not go on deaf ears.

:hystery:  Now! here is, a Leading Question,

Each and every day, and I do mean this just at this time( We are Finishing the House we built) I look into the mirror and say to myself :rolleyes:

WTF, am I doing here, No Stock here and double cost there, BOI that cannot get anything right and then take so long to get it right, the rules have changed again.

Then, as the day goes on, My Wife and Daughter just smile and say "Daddy' we love you, Don't Fret so, it will all be OK in the end,

Life ain't perfect, ( but then neither was my previous situation)

When we sit and have a meal or watch a Film I realise, why I am here. Having spent the day trudging around for this to buy, table thumping at immigration or wherever, I come home to those 2 smiling Faces Full of love and hope for the Future, I Know why I am here and I would not change a thing.

Life is not always easy here but if you have the backing and the love of a Family, each bad day becomes just another day,

maybe, the answer to the question should be, " I wish I had done it 10 years earlier"

:tiphat:

Hello Jack P,

I can remember your extreme ordeal of surviving a heart condition while you were still in Gibraltar.  You had no family

there but you came out with a new lease in life.  And probably a new perspective about not sweating the small chit.  All

you have or want is your wonderful family, nothing else matters.....no matter where you live.  

Well done my friend, well done......respectfully -- Jake

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello BlancoDiablo,

I may not have all the marbles between my ears (sage member) but rest assured that this forum has many wonderful

stories of finally settling in the Philippines permanently.  There are also a few stories that were total failures and was

unable to escape back to home country.  

My point being is to remain flexible.  Don't fall in love-lust in any particular place until your common sense gives you a

reason to finally settle down.  At all times, we should have an exit plan anyway, not necessarily back to Jacksonville but

other Asian countries or perhaps another time to revisit PI again.  

Reality check is immediate and dramatic when you step off that air conditioned plane into a hot and humid oven called

the Philippines.  You ask yourself, WTF am I doing here?  But when you come across this sweet Filipina welcoming you

to her native land, your heart is rejuvenated with a gusto of a stallion:

post-686-0-89083900-1399567031_thumb.jpg

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
to her native land, your heart is rejuvenated with a gusto of a stallion: Exotic Beauty.JPG

Seriously Jake, you gotta stop doing that chit!  Haven't seen my girl for about 2 weeks and I'm as toey as a Roman sandle!

• Like 5

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Jake please I am not so young anymore and any rise in blood pressure could prove fatal. :1 (103):

• Like 4

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's really hard to admit a mistake or assign blame because not everything I regret I regret completely. To erase the bitterness I would also lose the sweetness.

That said, I would have either not done the pig farm or I would have taken more control over the operation instead of trusting my wife to figure it out because she's a local. In the future I would assert my plan from the get go, no compromise.

It's embarrassing telling people all the things that went wrong because I predicted them all. As a 28 year old I was content to watch it play out in part because I didn't respect my own money and in part I was drinking the kool-aid. I also didn't understand women.

Edited by ekimswish
  • Like 3