Crime And Verdict Of Guilt?

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

I've read lots of posts on another forum saying filipino authorities will always blame the foreigner in case of any problem between 2 parties. But these posts really sounded bitter and without personal evidence. They seemed to imply that no matter how serious the crime, the foreigner will simply be blamed no matter what the evidence. That's pretty messed up thinking don't you agree?

Are you aware personally of any experiences that confirm or go against this view, and can you kindly share them?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have heard this, and read many of the stories, most likely.  I wonder how much of it is true - and how much is just horror stories.  One of the best I heard was a foreigner got in a wreck (Filipino at fault) and the foreigner had to pay because.... if he was not in the country.... there would have been no wreck.  So the moral is the foreigner is always at fault. 

How true is any of this?  I have my doubts. 

Everything I heard about PhilPost was never use them.  Everything is lost or stolen.  But I have had numerous letters, checks, credit cards, and packages mailed to me since I got here and have never had anything lost or stolen.  Slow... but I get it.  So a lot of the horror stories online are not ironclad truth.   That is why we say - your mileage may vary!    :tiphat:

• Like 3

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Its all about who you know the person with better connections is always in the right

If the locals brother is the mayor your in the wrong

Unless your friends with a congressman or senator etc

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

My anecdotal observation is that some foreigners come here expecting right and wrong to be the same here as it is where they come from.

For example, one friend of mine, when turning left, insists on going around the fellow coming out of the cross street instead of cutting behind him (as is the custom here).  He gets in many minor accidents, gets called in front of the barangay captain, and insists he is right and if the Americans had not come here then the locals would be speaking Japanese.

This friend is a great guy, but like many older gents he has a hard time adapting to what the locals see as right and wrong.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Are you aware personally of any experiences that confirm or go against this view, and can you kindly share them?

Actually I was involved in a traffic accident with PNP TrafCom (traffic command) off duty policeman near Batangas

many years ago.  He was out of uniform, except his cuarenta cinco (45) tucked in his waist.  He hit me on the right

rear wheel coming out from a side road.  I slammed into reverse and turned smartly where I can look down at him.  

My wife already took the initiative by yelling at him, her rapid fire P words that would wake up the dead.  

And then I spoke to him in pure California English, asking for his name and badge number.  It's the perception of

who you may be dealing with.  I guess he looked at us as untouchables.  He finally gave his name to Judy and

quickly left the scene.  We stayed behind so that we could to talk to the many witnesses to testify on our behalf.  

None would volunteer for fear of this PNP cop.  

We finally left the scene, as Judy rolled down her window and angrily shouted the P word again with her punch line

of: walang bayag!  Reflecting back, I should have calmed myself down once I saw his 45.  We were very lucky and

we never travelled that road again.

Speaking of perception......I am still confused about reckless imprudence.  If any of you guys understand that law,

please share it with us.  Even as a Filipino, I would still be considered a foreigner simply because I have a dollar

account.  My suggestion is to introduce yourself to the local PNP chief, tanods and barangay captains.  A bottle of

imported booze, cigarettes, playboy magazines, whatever.....it goes a long way to get yourself out of trouble.  It's

called name dropping.  Jungle rules apply here.

It is best to negotiate on the spot, without PNP involvement.  By the time you have two opposing lawyers together

and their own witnesses (bought and sold), it really depends on who's got the deeper pockets and connections.  

Yeah, reckless imprudence -- a total mystery.  Respectfully -- Jake

PS -- walang bayag (you have no balls!!)

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jake, what do you suppose would have happened if not for you and your wife's quick reaction? You seemed to imply that the fault could have been pinned on you.

Anyway very interesting to read this account! Lots a paranoid guys online write things like "never raise your voice" but at times it's exactly what needs to be done.

Your suggestion to gift the local pnp - is that for everyone or for after an accident had occurred?

Edited by sandwichmaker

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I've read lots of posts on another forum saying filipino authorities will always blame the foreigner in case of any problem between 2 parties. But these posts really sounded bitter and without personal evidence. They seemed to imply that no matter how serious the crime, the foreigner will simply be blamed no matter what the evidence. That's pretty messed up thinking don't you agree?

I can't give you any examples from personal experience, but I for one have been coming here for years, and I always tread very lightly. Only time I have been very ascertive was in the hospital environment, when something had to be said in order to be a good advocant for my patient.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Jake, what do you suppose would have happened if not for you and your wife's quick reaction? You seemed to imply that the fault could have been pinned on you.

Anyway very interesting to read this account! Lots a paranoid guys online write things like "never raise your voice" but at times it's exactly what needs to be done.

Your suggestion to gift the local pnp - is that for everyone or for after an accident had occurred?

Actually I was surprised at my wife's quick reaction.  Perhaps my reaction also, maneuvering smartly so

I'm glaring down on him, made this pulis patola suspicious of our status.  Obviously, we were both mad

as hell but he did little damage to my Jeep Wrangler (blemish).  While his shiny new owner type jeep with

all those stupid lights, shattered into many pieces.  He knew he was at fault but could have been a totally

different cop with a more arrogant attitude and a loaded 45.  It would have been our fault but that doesn't

really matter if we were both salvaged on the spot.  Yeah, we were very lucky that day...... 

Ideally, you should start your connections as soon as possible.  For example, you're approaching a police

checkpoint that you have crossed many times before.  Next time, pull over and chit chat by taking group

pictures.  Give them a couple boxes of pizza or a case of cold water bottles.  They will remember you next

time.  Giving out those cheap LED flashlights to the barangay tanods (village watchers) may give you an

introduction to the barangay captain.  Who's next -- police chief, the mayor? 

The game is called name dropping -- my tito Bong-Bong is an NBI agent, here's his business card or my

cousin is a colonel, Philippines Marine Corp.  On my card given to me by the provincial treasurer of Cavite

province, this is what he wrote in the back.  The beholder of this card, Jake and Judy shall be given the

privilege of this office in all matters of police respect and courtesy.  

That card was gold but I never had to pull it out.  Instead, I once gave this cop an old issue of Playboy

magazine.  He immediately told his boy to reinstall my plates (parking violation in Manila) and he saluted

me as I was pulling out.  I never did tell him about those sticky pages.....he, he.

Respectfully -- Jake

PS -- pulis patola, a good for nothing cop, only collects tong (protection and bribe money)

Edited by Jake
spil chek

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Actually I was surprised at my wife's quick reaction.  Perhaps my reaction also, maneuvering smartly so

I'm looking down at him made this pulis patola suspicious of our status.  Obviously, we were both mad

as hell but did little damage to my rim (blemish).  While his shiny new owner type jeep with all those lights

shattered into many pieces.  He knew he was at fault but could have been a totally different cop with a

more arrogant attitude with a loaded 45.  Yeah, we were very lucky that day...... 

Ideally, you should start your connections as soon as possible.  For example, you're approaching a police

checkpoint that you have crossed many times before.  Next time, pull over and chit chat by taking group

pictures.  Give them a couple boxes of pizza or a case of cold water bottles.  They will remember you next

time.  Giving out those cheap LED flashlights to the barangay tanods (village watchers) may give you an

introduction to the barangay captain.  Who's next -- police chief, the mayor? 

Respectfully -- Jake

PS -- pulis patola, a good for nothing cop, only collects tong (protection and bribe money)

I must admit Jake I am quilty of sucking up to the local police as well. Working closely with the ERUF we have a lot to do with traffic enforcers, police, and SWAT. If I am not busy at the scene, I usually do chit chat with them. Some have asked for my number, and have called for advice about travel to Australia, etc etc....I have never had to ask for a favour, but it is nice to know that if my white butt ever got in trouble, I might have a little help from the boys in blue :).

• Like 1