How Are You Celebrating Your Memorial Day?

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Jon1,

Nice ride!  We thank you for your tribute by going all the way to Clark from Subic.  And thank you for

the update about the US govt taking over to maintain that sacred ground of the American Cemetery.  

It was such a tragedy of epic proportion that many lives were lost, especially the civilian population.

You're a warrior yourself.  I'm surprise you don't have an Easy Rider Rifle Rack on your road runner!

post-686-0-62484600-1400995885.jpg

Have a cold one for me........

• Like 5

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

hehehe no need for a Rifle rack, I can outrun bullets! hahaha just kidding.. But I can outrun most of the locos encountered on the SCTEX. Especially when they want to tailgate at 70mph. I just kick it into 4th and disappear. Usually after a couple clicks at 85-90mph they don't bother with their stupid pass and let you pass games anymore. The ride to Clark is less than an hour now.

It really is a crime that the VFW had to fight all of this time to right this huge wrong. There at least 8000 americans and filipinos buried there (from the colonial times to post WWII). If anything, the US should have offered to repatriate the remains of the US personnel buried there.

On Capaz, I do not think there is a cemetary there. I believe that all remains from there were either repatriated or relocated to the Cemetary in Manila.. Too many people died needlessly in the first years of WWII in Luzon. Some of the books on the POWs conditions that they had to endure is mind wretching.

I wanted the forum members to get a perspective on what Memorial Day is like here. There was a ceremony at the American Cemetary in Ft Bonifacio today at 0800. The Embassy usually presides over it. I am sure that it is a sight to see. The stones there are crosses like any National Cemetary in the US.

If I can, I may swing by on Friday to get some pics of the Cemetery. Or maybe one of our members in AC can provide some? They are supposed to be planting flags on Thursday.

Edited by jon1
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

If anything, the US should have offered to repatriate the remains of the US personnel buried there.

Hey Jon1,

That's a good question.  So what if it take a million bucks to repatriate the remains back to their home state.

We're still sending millions to Pakistan each year, so it can't be a question of money.  Is it against some law?

Will there be more cemeteries in the near future?  At the rate we're going, we will probably obliterate each

other before man steps on the surface of Mars.  There goes the neighborhood.......

Respectfully -- Jake 

• Like 4

jon1
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all of the great info Pittman. There are so many historical sights here and relearning all of the history is one of my interests. 

• Like 5

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Our thoughts and gratitude goes out to all those fallen soldiers and to those who are still serving in the US military on your memorial day.

May god bless them all.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Took the family to a drive through animal park today. Monday will visit cemetery.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

My thoughts and gratitude go out to our American friends on this, your memorial day.  

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

It is Monday morning here in SW Florida,  I will light a candle today to all the veterans who have pasted before me, not only the US but the rest also.

• Like 3