Deceptive Korean Business Man

pixiedust
Posted
Posted

My husband got back from Cebu after visiting for a few days.

I think it was helpful to go there and see in person the area we are interested in.

Unfortunately, he met one patricular Korean fraud man, who kept lying about his business, and the visit was to see his cafe restaurant next to Hotel California.

The name is Cafe Malmo, and the current man who runs that cafe is Korean. We don't even know his real name, he calls himself Chang. He lied to us in regrds to many things.

He even asked me to send about $200 from Korea. Upon meeting my husband he said he will pay it right away.

I should have known better, he didn't pay the money and he stood him up the last day they were supposed to meet.

My husband had to fly back home without meeting him, Chang disappered on that day, making stupid excuses about being late to meeting place and not seeing me there.

I know there are a lot of fruad men in Philippines, especially from Korea.

But through many experiences like this, I found out that many Korean's are always lying and they are not very honest at all.

I kept calling him to pay the money and half of the flight cost to Cebu.

He put on ads about looking for people who can take over his cafe, saying he wants to leave Cebu for Sweden, but in the end that was also a lie.

Everything he said was a lie, and he keeps saying through email or when I call him that he will send the $200.

I pity people who cheat and because I know that the life is fair in the way, that whatever you sow you will reap according to what you have done.

If that Chang lives his life in this way to get money out of cheating, lying and scamming then it's his lost and he will get it back 1000 fold.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

My husband got back from Cebu after visiting for a few days.

I think it was helpful to go there and see in person the area we are interested in.

Unfortunately, he met one patricular Korean fraud man, who kept lying about his business, and the visit was to see his cafe restaurant next to Hotel California.

The name is Cafe Malmo, and the current man who runs that cafe is Korean. We don't even know his real name, he calls himself Chang. He lied to us in regrds to many things.

He even asked me to send about $200 from Korea. Upon meeting my husband he said he will pay it right away.

I should have known better, he didn't pay the money and he stood him up the last day they were supposed to meet.

My husband had to fly back home without meeting him, Chang disappered on that day, making stupid excuses about being late to meeting place and not seeing me there.

I know there are a lot of fruad men in Philippines, especially from Korea.

But through many experiences like this, I found out that many Korean's are always lying and they are not very honest at all.

I kept calling him to pay the money and half of the flight cost to Cebu.

He put on ads about looking for people who can take over his cafe, saying he wants to leave Cebu for Sweden, but in the end that was also a lie.

Everything he said was a lie, and he keeps saying through email or when I call him that he will send the $200.

I pity people who cheat and because I know that the life is fair in the way, that whatever you sow you will reap according to what you have done.

If that Chang lives his life in this way to get money out of cheating, lying and scamming then it's his lost and he will get it back 1000 fold.

Hi Pixie, I live close to Cafe Malmo, been there a few times for coffee only, never seems to be a lot of business going on usually more staff than clients, went there one day and the power wasn't on, only in the restaurant, every where else was ok, asked the young waitress and she said was a problem with money. We were going to go for dinner one night but never seemed to be open and I have noticed the last 2 or 3 weeks it has been closed. I would be very wary of doing any kind of business here in the Phils just my opinion. Hope it all works out in the end for you but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I recently was told that Korean property scams are common here in Subic.  I don't know how true it is but some of the unfinished buildings I see indicate something is going on.

Apparently it is the age old scam where they pull together enough investor money to get a project going, and sell partnerships.  At some point they disappear with most of the money and the project is never completed.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I know there are a lot of fruad men in Philippine

And they can smell fresh money from 5 miles away.  Even the oldtime expat residents get scammed, they just don't admit it so easily.  Just keep trying to find an honest business person, they do exist in Philippines but honest business people are often higher priced.  The fraudsters exist by telling you what you want to hear so if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

At least you were able to learn your lesson relatively cheaply. Some people get taken to the cleaners. Look at it as $200 class on fraud.

• Like 1

pixiedust
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the making of this thread with a new topic.

Thank you for all your replies, it helped to forget the bad experience.

I also think it was a lesson, but I should have know better really.

Normally I don't trust Korean people whatsoever, and through this experience it became a solid example.

I used to get disappointments from Korean, they always break promises and never keep any regulations properly.

I should be more careful from now on. 

I would like to be positive and expect to have better business opportunities in the coming months.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I used to get disappointments from Korean, they always break promises and never keep any regulations properly.
Sad you lost your money  :boohoo:

But there are good and bad people from all countries. I know one GOOD Korean!   :dance:

And in other topics we see examples of both good and bad Filipins, Canadians, Indians, Australians, Americans...  

I don't know if Swedes in this forum are good or bad   :lol:

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

But there are good and bad people from all countries. I know one GOOD Korean!   :dance:

And in other topics we see examples of both good and bad Filipins, Canadians, Indians, Australians, Americans...  

I don't think there are any bad Aussies!... :hystery:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I don't think there are any bad Aussies!... :hystery:

Everyone knows all Aussies are good people  :)

Why would you trust someone in the Philippines until you find out all the details about their business, ie, how much their profit is each month, are they the real owner of the business and especially they can't own land in the Philippines. What you and your husband were trying to do is a very big risk.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

A few years ago I sent my girlfriend ( now my wife) 200 pounds.Some people in the UK said you are mad I said 200 is a very cheap lesson if she was to run  run. off with it. Pixie put it down as a learning curve and be more careful in the future.

• Like 2