Where To Go South Of Manila?

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'll fly into manila in a few days and my Manila friend has a few days off work, so we want to go on a trip out of the city. South would be ideal since I don't want to haul myself through the city. 

Ideas? Budget for accomodation is very low, but we have flexibility (well, I do, not sure if she does).

Edited by sandwichmaker

stevewool
Posted
Posted

anywhere south of manila is good, all depends on what you are wanting, Teal volcano is always a sight to see,

• Like 1

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

sounds great. any idea where to stay, or just pass by? 

which route does the bus go?

stevewool
Posted
Posted

the best advice i can give you is get the person you are meeting in Manila to do all the arranging , i was just the passenger on my trip to Teal but it was worth the bus trip and trike down to the waters edge, just sit back and  enjoy the views

chrisandging
Posted
Posted

If you decide on Tagaytay I would recomend taking a bus, it will cost about P90.

The nicest busses are run by DLBT from thier garage in Buendia.

Other companies go from Pasay, Costal Mall, Ayala or, Central terminal (this list is not exhaustive)

Journey time about 2 hours, get of at Olivarez which is quite central. Wouldn't book hotel in advance unless weekend.

Been caught out by the maps on agoda before where I thought I had booked central Tagaytay but it was closer to Batangas missus took the piss at every opportunity and still smiles smugly whenever we pass the potters ridge hotel.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey SandwichMaker,  

Tagaytay and all points south (Batangas beaches) are saturated with foreign tourists and during the school

holidays, you need to have a lot of patience.....he, he.  I find that Tagaytay is a bit overpriced, as the Korean

population grows exponentially.  But what a sight to behold -- an active volcano in the middle of a lake.  

post-686-0-89044800-1404664713_thumb.jpg

I would suggest that you completely bypass Batangas City and go straight to their international seaport, where

you can catch a large banca boat or R0-RO vessel for an hour plus ride to Puerto Galera, Mindoro.  Laid back

and tourist friendly, you can have a wonderful time in their relatively cleaner beaches and coves.  It was my

very first time to actually witness a triple rainbow in between squalls of refreshing rain.  

post-686-0-27369200-1404665722_thumb.jpg

Have fun but stay safe, OK?

PS -- if you're going solo, many opportunities to make triple sandwiches in Sabang.....he, he. 

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 3

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

I'm going from Manila airport, landing at 3pm on Wednesday 9th, then heading south. Will stay south until Sunday night. Is that school holidays? I don't know which bus to get from the airport.

Jake
Posted
Posted

I'm going from Manila airport, landing at 3pm on Wednesday 9th, then heading south. Will stay south until Sunday night. Is that school holidays? I don't know which bus to get from the airport.

It has been awhile since I've been back to PI.  Your best bet is to rely on boots on the ground report like

what Chrisandging recently reported (post #5).  Not bad for 90 pesos to Tagaytay.  The whole province

of Batangas where my wife is from, is primarily known for their hand crafted bladed weapons.  The are

a beautiful works of art (Google balisong knife).  And yeah.....my wife Judy can whip it out in no time flat.  

I believe there are no school holidays during your time period.  It's too bad your time is limited -- that's

why I suggested to bypass Batangas City and head further south across the Batangas Channel to PG.

Papa Carl, OUC, MikeB and many others generally had some positive thoughts about Puerto Galera. 

Happy trip -- Jake

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
And yeah.....my wife Judy can whip it out in no time flat.  

is this sort of Statement allowed here young man??? :hystery:

Oooooooooooops sorry :unsure:

:tiphat:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Jake I have seen some high quality edged implements and some that were total crap. I suspect that the total crap ones were IMPORTED into the Philippines, to be sold to toursists. :mocking:

• Like 2