Overstaying Visa Fees For One Day Due To Weekend

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to give the heads up to everyone that if the expiry date of your visa just happens to fall on the weekend, you must renew prior to the date otherwise you will get hit with 1000 piso extra on top of all the standard cost.

I've been busy of late and my visa ran out on a Sunday. I went in the following Monday to renew and was fined 500 piso plus had an assessment for a visa renewal of 500 piso.

Oh well, may this not happen to you

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Happens to all of us if we stay long enough.  For me it was a holiday that they declared in the middle of the week.  Some obscure holiday that even the banks did not recognize.  So the BI was closed, came back at 8 am the next day, 1000 peso extra, told to come back 2 weeks early next time to avoid such 'misunderstandings'.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I see a new notice (on the counter) at the BI Office on Mactan Island to renew your Visa 3 to 5 days before it is due, last time I went was on the due day and nobody seemed to notice let alone say anything.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

It's all about the money.....

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just wanted to give the heads up to everyone that if the expiry date of your visa just happens to fall on the weekend, you must renew prior to the date otherwise you will get hit with 1000 piso extra on top of all the standard cost.

I've been busy of late and my visa ran out on a Sunday. I went in the following Monday to renew and was fined 500 piso plus had an assessment for a visa renewal of 500 piso.

Oh well, may this not happen to you

I know time can get away from us while away but I think it pays to read the requirements of any visa issued. It does tell you on the BI site of fines for late renewal. 

Note:

• Fine for Overstaying – (additional) Php 500.00 per month

• Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying – (additional) Php 500.00

• LFR – Php 10.00

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Also forgot to add, at BI mactan they are now using a little sticker for the visa, no more stamp, the sticker is about the size of a postal stamp, takes up about a third of the area for the old stamp. also has a little a little barcode on it.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

That is why I always go 3 or 4 weeks early.  My current extension is good until 13AUG so I am going next week to extend.    I sure don't want to be late  :tiphat:

Americano
Posted
Posted

Fred,

Paying 1,000 peso extra is not good but you should be happy that you were not deported which BI could do for your violation of Immigration Law. You were in the Philippines illegally when you went to BI. You could have been arrested and put in their detention cell until your deportation flight was arranged. This has happened to some so it shouldn't be taken lightly.

• Like 1