Video Downloader Now With Youtube Search Built-In!

Americano
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks Mark, but I will try to get it to work and then tell you what happens. I will give you all of the details that you need. I'm charging the battery right now so tomorrow I will be ready to start the uninstall and download.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I think I know why it's not working for you. You're running Windows 8.1 and the only version of the NET framework that can be used on that platform (according to Microsoft) is 4.51. That would be fine except that Net 4.51 doesn't work with any other version of Windows.

Yes, the version is 4.5.1. It's ok, I rarely want to d/l youtube videos but yesterday was an exception. I installed 3 or 4 different products and every one had some problem. MegaTube is a free MS product that you get from their store, it's specifically for Win8x. On some videos it works fine, many others you get an error. Thousands of people are asking about this same error on tech forums and their solution is to re-install the product which does nothing. I guess there's no support because it's free. As I said, your program worked fine on my win7 laptop so I know it's good. Thanks.

Markham
Posted
Posted

Mike,

Indulge me for a moment or two, please :). Would you mind reinstalling the latest version and then unzip the attached archive and allow it overwrite the existing files. I've manage to build a .NET 4.5.1 executable which, in theory, should work on your new laptop.

YouTube Downloader Windows 8x.zip

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I installed the latest ver I saw, 555, and overwrote the files from the zip. It opened the program but I got an Unhandled exception error. I can continue and get access to the program but the main stuff doesn't seem to work. I will PM you with the details from the exception error and a couple of screen shots. The Search function works and I was able to find the video I wanted but it said "This video is the property of xyz"...and so forth so I'm back to the same issue we discussed before. It's a copyright thing, separate issue. I'll send you the data. This is the video I wanted, btw.

Markham
Posted
Posted

I installed the latest ver I saw, 555, and overwrote the files from the zip. It opened the program but I got an Unhandled exception error. I can continue and get access to the program but the main stuff doesn't seem to work. I will PM you with the details from the exception error and a couple of screen shots. The Search function works and I was able to find the video I wanted but it said "This video is the property of xyz"...and so forth so I'm back to the same issue we discussed before. It's a copyright thing, separate issue. I'll send you the data. This is the video I wanted, btw.

From the Search Window, having found the video you wanted, did you click the "Get Versions" button? I assume you were made to wait whilst the program updated the media plug-in to version 2014-10-25 ...;

This video, right? :)

post-190-0-42904600-1414307911_thumb.png

The exception I do need to investigate but may be down to missing history or passwords files.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
From the Search Window, having found the video you wanted, did you click the "Get Versions" button? I assume you were made to wait whilst the program updated the media plug-in to version 2014-10-25 ...;

Yes, it says the plug in isn't installed, tries to install it and fails. It flashes very fast so I had to do it a few times to see what it said. No usable info, just failed.

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

Many thanks, Mike, I have now fixed those problems and I've built a new release (v5.7.6) for both Windows 8.x and earlier versions - the correct version should be installed automagically!

The rather cryptic message that infers copyright infringement is simply is also displayed if there's a problem with the media plug-in. The exception you encountered was due to a missing password file and came about due to a different cache strategy in Windows 8 over Windows 7 and earlier.

SetUp576.zip

Edited by Markham

Americano
Posted
Posted

On my laptop which is running Windows7 I uninstalled a previous YouTube Downloader and then installed v5.7.6  Everything seemed to download and install correctly but I cannot open the program.  When I click on the desktop icon to open the program it says "Mark's Multi-Site Video Downloader for Windows 8.x has stopped working.

Should I try Troubleshoot Compatibility or Check on Line for a Solution or what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Phillip

Markham
Posted
Posted

On my laptop which is running Windows7 I uninstalled a previous YouTube Downloader and then installed v5.7.6  Everything seemed to download and install correctly but I cannot open the program.  When I click on the desktop icon to open the program it says "Mark's Multi-Site Video Downloader for Windows 8.x has stopped working

In my rush to get a version out for you, I made a teensy-weensy little mistake which resulted in the Windows 8 version being installed if your operating system is Windows 7. I say 'teensy-weensy' because the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 is defined by Microsoft as one decimal digit:

Windows XP - Windows Version 5.0

Vista - Windows Version 6.0

Windows 7 - Windows Version 6.1

Windows 8 - Windows Version 6.2

Windows 8.1 - Windows Version 6.3

The attached version will fix that and install the correct platform version.

If, when you start the program, it crashes, please try this. Close the program and then restart it. The problem may be a difference in how your version of Windows has adapted itself to your hard drive's performance and "lazy-write" may be enabled which effectively means that the history file is not being created and available when the program first needs to use it. Once the file exists - it should have been created when the program closes, at the very latest - there's no problem.

SetUp576AndfHalf.zip

Americano
Posted
Posted

I downloaded and installed the SetUp576AndHalf.zip

The program opens for a few seconds and then has the message "Searching for the latest version of plug-in...."  in its message window near the bottom and then a popup message says the program has closed. When I close the popup window it closes the program window too or I can slid the popup message to the side and still see the program window even though its very dim.  In the message window it says "Updating Plug-In from Ver -- Not Installed -- to ver 2014.10.27

I tried closing and starting the downloader program several times and I restarted the computer one time all with the same results.

One good news is I can see all of the Downloader window this time.