United States Tourist Visa For Spouse

jon1
Posted
Posted

I would book the earliest appointment possible (start at 0700) and stay at a hotel the night before so it is not as rough getting up. Coach your wife on answering only what is asked in concise answers. Especially "why you don't want to immigrate?". Also have her wear some business type attire. You want her looking professional not going out for a night on the town.

• 2 weeks later...
tango_99
Posted
Posted

The wife went in for her B2 tourist visa interview on FEB 20th, 2015 and was denied.  No reason given except for the standard blue letter which really contains no information at all.  The sad part is that she was in the U.S. Embassy being interviewed by a Chinese consular officer who spoke almost no English, the interview did not go well.  We will try again next month as the officer did not ask to see any of the documents my wife brought that demonstrated her "ties" to the Philippines.  Will post agin after the second interview, hopefully with good news.

jon1
Posted
Posted

That sucks and doesn't sound right. Good luck on the next try. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

That sucks and doesn't sound right. Good luck on the next try. 

I second that motion.  It double sucks.  The country is flooded with illegals from the south and they won't let somebody's wife take a vacation.

• 3 years later...
thailend19
Posted
Posted

I am an American, married to a 34-year old filipina. She has a 12-year old daughter living in Manila, she owns property(a townhouse) in Manila and she wants to visit the U.S. with me under a tourist(B1visa) for 8 months, beginning in August. She will finish her 4 year college education in July. I am retired, with both a substantial bank account and monthly income and own property in the U.S. and in Thailand, where we live. All of the above facts can be supported by documents, etc. If she uses the DCF for the visa application the beginning of May:

1. How likely will she get her B1?

2. How long will the application take to complete?

3. When will the visa period begin? Can she request it begin on ______(date)?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, thailend19 said:

1. How likely will she get her B1?

I was just talking about this on Sunday with a fellow who facilitates American Visas (both tourist and married).

He said all applicants must go to Manila for an interview but only 10% of all applications for tourist visas are approved (if that) even though all the applications he submits meet the published requirements.  He seemed to have some suspicion that there was prejudice based on something they found in the interview but he was reluctant to commit as to what that prejudice might be.  The question on both our minds was:  If the US is going to turn down so many applications for filipina tourist visas then why make them go all the way to Manila to (and pay the non refundable fee) just to find that out?  Couldn't they do that online and save the trip?

thailend19
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was just talking about this on Sunday with a fellow who facilitates American Visas (both tourist and married).

He said all applicants must go to Manila for an interview but only 10% of all applications for tourist visas are approved (if that) even though all the applications he submits meet the published requirements.  He seemed to have some suspicion that there was prejudice based on something they found in the interview but he was reluctant to commit as to what that prejudice might be.  The question on both our minds was:  If the US is going to turn down so many applications for filipina tourist visas then why make them go all the way to Manila to (and pay the non refundable fee) just to find that out?  Couldn't they do that online and save the trip?

I'm curious about why the 10% got their visas....but I agree. Turn us down on-line and save the time and the trip. There are many filipinas who get U.S.visas to teach,nurse, au pair, etc. thru agencies who have a reputation of gouging their clients. I'm curious as to how they do it. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, thailend19 said:

agencies who have a reputation of gouging their clients. I'm curious as to how they do it. 

As I understand it, the agencies do not do anything more than what you can do yourself, they just do it often enough that it saves you the headache of figuring it out.  They have the same turn-down rate as when you do it yourself (as in 90% are turned down) and to a filipina who thinks she can pay an extra fee to be ensured of getting her visa that may sound like gouging.  I do not believe it so.  Its just that paying more will not get more entitlement.

The fee for doing all the paper work is $500 with the fellow I know.  You pay all expenses (such as travel to Manila and US Government fees).  If you wanted a referral I could give it but he must know the referral comes from this forum as he would be obliged to pay a fee (maybe 5% or so of what he charges) to this forum.  Its advertising like this which helps keep the forum free for members.  

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, thailend19 said:

3. When will the visa period begin? Can she request it begin on ______(date)?

I don't think you can request a start date. As I recall the tourist visa is a 10 year multiple entry visa so start date should not be an issue. I think there is a limit of 6 months per entry.

As you are married and she has ties back to the Philippines you may have a better shot than most. Another member, OnMyWay, was able to get a tourist visa for his wife.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, earthdome said:

Another member, OnMyWay, was able to get a tourist visa for his wife.

Unfortunately, this is not quite right.

My wife already had a B1/B2 visa from her job and assignment in the U.S., in 2008, before we met, and then she visited me in the U.S. to help me move in 2012.  Her 10 year visa expires this year.

I think earthdome is thinking of the visa we got for my step-daughter, who was 12 at the time.  Her mom already had the visa, so I think that helped.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1