Need Help On Costs

fred
Posted
Posted

my advice would be to come on over for a 2 month holiday and see how it goes.. if its all good then extend for another month etc.. Who knows..You may never leave!

I know guys here with similar income as you that have found accommodation for around 5k a month.. Pretty basic,but one of them has a long lease and has made the place really nice.. You really need to be here for reasonably long periods to find these kind of deals..You wont find them on the internet,thats for sure!

Keep the cash that you can liquidate in a form where you can easily get at it..Emergencies only.

live life here one day at a time and enjoy every minute.. what have you got to lose?

• Like 5

jon1
Posted
Posted

SubicSteve is correct. You have to think about how much it would cost you to establish a household, maintain a nest egg, and get by on your $868/mo. It would only take one major hospitalization and your nest egg could be gone leaving you without any means of getting back to the US. 

You could expect to pay for all of your medical costs out of pocket and then fight Tricare for reimbursement. 

You really don't have enough assets to give you a good safety margin.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have known others to come here in similar situations.  Some stay and make the best of it (some actually enjoy life here on a small budget).  Others go back to USA, especially those who have any chance of earning a little cash over and above their disability pension.

But if that's all you got, and you gotta live somewhere on that money, then it will likely go further here than where you are now.  Its just not going to be easy.  One thing though, does your disability stop you from riding a motorcycle?  Its like the cheapest way to get around here (if you have some experience riding).  Other than that you will find 'public transportation' primitive, especially if you have a serious disability.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I gotta agree with Dave... If you can't afford to be where you are, there has to be somewhere you can still afford to live a little bit better!  Or, in your situation, you are really scraping by so maybe the Philippines might offer a bit better life for you.  But you are going to really have to study the situation.  See what you can do with and do without.  Is it something you don't need in the US but really will need in the Philippines?  Or the other way around?  

Might I ask?  If it's only a bum ankle, why not try and go back to work for a couple years?  Save a few dollars and then come over once you qualify to be a retiree... Pensions help so much more when you have more than one!

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Don 't go unless you have enough savings to cover hopitalization and an airline ticket back to the states. Don't go. Do what Bob and some other suggested get a job any job save enough to cover yourself.

Four years ago an American living in my familys area came to me with his very pregnant girl friend. His story was not pretty. We fed them gave them some food his girl a little cash. They were slowly starving.

The US Goverment will not help you!

Philippines can be an unfogiving place. You think your life sucks now you have no idea how good you have it compared to millions living in Philippines.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 5

ITSMRBILL
Posted
Posted

thanks for all the advice/info good and bad!... I'm a big bot and I can handle it lol.......wow you guys are awesome! here is my take on the sitrep:

I am used to adversity I have been homeless 10 years out of the last 17.....airconditioning-whats thaaat? haha.

I went to anchorage ak twice and Kalispell mt. got off the plane in ak with 212.00 and 98.00 800.00 off the bus in mt. had no plan knew not a soul and was up and running inside a month. I am fully aware of the different lifestyle a new country will bring I will not miss "the comforts of home"-never really had them here lol. robertk hit it on the head!.. that's exactly what I do I integrate into a family an old lady a church etc etc I see a need I make an offer and I usually get into a situation that is more beneficial to them than to me lol or I'd still be in it..I usually get burned. BUT  if I could pay the rent 6 months in advance weelll I don't have to be told to do anything I just offer or do it. take uot trash mow yards run errands heavy lift dirty work etc etc. I don't party don't do drugs Christian but not holyier than thou type ya I will go to a bar and sip a beer but never been kicked out of one lol. I'm very respectful and trustworthy old people like me because of that..and very protective....I don't take sh&t and I can dish it out if I have to. but I have MANNERS! I totally realize culture shock will be around every corner. yes I can ride a motorcycle had a KZ 1000  I the good ole days so a 125 or scooter no problem. not really missing out on the medical because I get simple care here now I would have a few thousand stashed on a card etc. and pay the rent in advance and build and recon from there... I always make a plan but will ppl allow the plan to proceed is my problem I get in with the right ppl and its a win-win. I would get the insurance asap and I figure eventually id have a wife and make it clear that im not rich but we could live better as 2 etc. I would have have done exactly like robertk suggests ask taxi ppl etc if someone is looking for a reliable roommate or have a room or a shack in the back etc. and want the rent paid on time etc. if I look around and say better than the street better than jail better than where I came from id be happy!- BOOM. I am building an online webstore and a sports league my concerns would be internet to finish my projects. and my smart phone so I need info on those critical areas.......but at this point I want to liquidate my assets and get on a plane find a family with a spare room or a 150-200 month place and take it from there... remember I would have to pay4-500 for an rv slab here thaats not gonna happen its a parking lot!

that's my motivation and my "plan"....ive had worse ones lol

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Dude go for it .. It can be done  you are used to living on that limited budget in the US you can do it here no problem .

I see it like be poor starving and homeless in the US or be warm happy and full in a grass shack with a beautiful wife  no brainer  make the move 

Ps always have a exit strategy IE: ticket home and a few bucks put away for the hospital 

• Like 5