Acr Card For Tourists ?

retired
Posted
Posted (edited)

I ran across this article and found it very intriguing and maybe a good topic for discussion . It was initially written in response to a question about how to get a Philippine bank account open if not a permanent resident .

Dear Sir: Thank you for the inquiry. Only the following visa holders under Section 9(d) treaty traders visa, 9(f) student visa, 9(g) Commercial and Missionary visa, 13 Quota Immigrant visa, 13(a) to 13(g), 47(a)(2) special non-immigrant visa, and Temporary Resident Visa are required to apply an ACR I-card with the Alien Registration Division (ARD) of the Bureau of Immigration, Manila. Also, any foreign national who intend to apply for a driver
Edited by Mr. Lee
Removed link to a forum that we do not have a reciprocal agreement with.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Information on ACR cards can be found here.http://immigration.gov.ph//index.php?optio...1&Itemid=53

kubahans
Posted
Posted

Hi RetiredI fully agree with you that even tourists may have a need for a bank account in the Philippines. For instance in my case. I plan to settle down in the Philippines in a few weeks but before filing an application for the SRRV program of the Philippine retirement authority I would like to live in Manila for some time as a temporary visitor (tourist) to see if the living conditions suit me. During this period the funds necessary to finance my life there should be transfered in regular intervals from a foreign bank account to an account in my name in Manila. I have enquired personally about 2 months ago with the Bureau of Immigration in Manila regarding opening a bank account. I was told I could request in a letter to the chief of the alien registration department voluntary registration to obtain an ACR I-card and that the issuing of that card enabling me to open a bank account in my name would cost me around 70 USD. But I am not sure if my request would be approved. In the affirmative, how long would these proceedings last ? Do you know of any persons who under the temporary visitor (tourist) status and after voluntary registration with the Immigration have obtained the ACR I-Card. Could anyone inform me in details on this topic ?Thanks in advance.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi RetiredI fully agree with you that even tourists may have a need for a bank account in the Philippines. For instance in my case. I plan to settle down in the Philippines in a few weeks but before filing an application for the SRRV program of the Philippine retirement authority I would like to live in Manila for some time as a temporary visitor (tourist) to see if the living conditions suit me. During this period the funds necessary to finance my life there should be transfered in regular intervals from a foreign bank account to an account in my name in Manila. I have enquired personally about 2 months ago with the Bureau of Immigration in Manila regarding opening a bank account. I was told I could request in a letter to the chief of the alien registration department voluntary registration to obtain an ACR I-card and that the issuing of that card enabling me to open a bank account in my name would cost me around 70 USD. But I am not sure if my request would be approved. In the affirmative, how long would these proceedings last ? Do you know of any persons who under the temporary visitor (tourist) status and after voluntary registration with the Immigration have obtained the ACR I-Card. Could anyone inform me in details on this topic ?Thanks in advance.
Hans, As to bank accounts, it has been my experience that some banks will open bank accounts for people without ACR cards and that the larger banks are the ones who tend to be more strict, yet even many of them will open a bank account for people who actually live in the Philippines and can show a lease or utility bills. I cannot help you in Manila per say but there is an assistant manager of bank in Cebu who is always willing to help foreigners open bank accounts and you might want to contact her and see if she can help you open an account at one of the branches in Manila or you could go to Cebu and open an account with her and use your ATM card at a branch in Manila to get funds etc. Below is a post I made that has all the contact info.http://www.welcometothephilippines.com/for...dpost&p=252
  • Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted
Hi Retired I would like to live in Manila for some time as a temporary visitor (tourist) to see if the living conditions suit me. If your not sure yet, why bother with a bank account, just use the ATM, unti you have decided.

kubahans
Posted
Posted

In the recent past I had a lot of problems with my Swiss ATM card in South East Asia including the Philippines. It did not function during several months (my bank had sent me three cards and none of them worked) and I was dependent on cash money I had brought with me. To avoid any further stress and unpleasant moments with ATM cards I do not trust after what had happened I need to have available funds in cash in case there will be another ATM problem. That is why I want to deposit some cash on a local bank account. In addition, some owners of condo apartments require you to have a bank account if you want to rent an apartment.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
In the recent past I had a lot of problems with my Swiss ATM card in South East Asia including the Philippines. It did not function during several months (my bank had sent me three cards and none of them worked) and I was dependent on cash money I had brought with me. To avoid any further stress and unpleasant moments with ATM cards I do not trust after what had happened I need to have available funds in cash in case there will be another ATM problem. That is why I want to deposit some cash on a local bank account. In addition, some owners of condo apartments require you to have a bank account if you want to rent an apartment.
If you do not have an ACR card and you need to open a bank account go in and talk directly to the bank manager. Explain your situation and ask him if he can help you. The bank manager can waive the requirement if he believes you are legitimate. The girls at the customer service desk cannot so from them you will always get a no. Also if you have any friends in Manila ask if any of them know bank employees. (Preferably managers) Sometimes an introduction from an employee can get you in.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
If you do not have an ACR card and you need to open a bank account go in and talk directly to the bank manager. Explain your situation and ask him if he can help you. The bank manager can waive the requirement if he believes you are legitimate. The girls at the customer service desk cannot so from them you will always get a no. Also if you have any friends in Manila ask if any of them know bank employees. (Preferably managers) Sometimes an introduction from an employee can get you in.
Tom you male chauvinist you :th_thholysheep: :wt-hell: ask him, most of the managers that I have met in the Philippines seem to be women or the real male managers must be hiding in the back. :welcome:

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Tom you male chauvinist you :th_thholysheep: :wt-hell: ask him, most of the managers that I have met in the Philippines seem to be women or the real male managers must be hiding in the back. :welcome:
SugarwareZ-007.gif