Circumnavigating Samar

jon1
Posted
Posted

I drove from southern Leyte to Northern Samar (up the west coast of Samar) about 2 years ago. This was before the bad typhoon last year. The highway on the west coast of Samar was pretty rough at times. The scenery was beautiful as was the water. It is very sparsely populated and the people were all friendly. I have previously heard that the east coast road was worse but I cannot confirm. There is supposed to be some good surfing on the east coast of Samar.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
RBM
Posted
Posted

I received a lot of rumor and innuendo about the ride around Samar. One guy did it 8 yrs ago. No one has recent, first hand experience with that ride? Samar is reputed to have the deepest, longest caves in Asia. I think you guys need to put down the Tanduay and do a little travel in your adopted country!

Becky, firstly I do not drink tanduay , I consider you have received some pretty valuable advice here.

I have covered most of Samar on motor cycle on numerous occasions how ever not recently. I doubt many people will have traveled there expensively after typhoon yalonda.

I will try dig out my most recent trip which is on you tube. Just before yalonda. This is a typical ride to one of the largest caves in Samar. An extremely difficult 2 plus hours on a muddy rutted track just to get to the beginning of a hellish trek to caves entrance. Although riding a heavy duty off ride bike still managed to burn out the clutch. Witnessed several accidents by local hubal2 riders. Scenery magnificent......

What I am saying is riding in remote areas of Samar is not a cat walk. It's trying, difficult and if experiencing problems can be a nite mare.

What is your riding experience? What is your motor cycle? Mechanical ability......

Suggest your better sticking to mail roads, some caves are available close to these areas, and on the west coast plus south east no worriers.

. I have never experienced NPA issues even in very remote areas.

robert k
Posted
Posted

If you are going to explore caves that bats live in, may I suggest a good quality dust filter mask? You don't want to breathe in alot of bat guano dust.