Filipino English Meanings Other Than You Would Expect

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Heck, I'm still looking to witness the human dominoes. Everyone is claiming they are going to "fall in line"-I haven't seen that happen yet...maybe it's all just hype!?

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

As a young and naive sailor in my hometown of Olongapo, I was asked by a nice female attendant if I want

a massage with sensation?  Confused, I said no thank you.  

Yeah, I was a dumb chit back then.....he, he.  

ha ha .......... you just reminded me of my recent escapade ..........

we attended a wedding a couple of weeks as ago at Bellingham Castle in Ireland.  and i had more than my usual glasses, unfortunately i dont have a head for alcohol and usually stick to just one glass.  anyway, at the sit down dinner, the waiters were not only attentive to the guest every needs but give personalised service too.  like they will unfolded your napkin and put it in your lap.  if you drop your napkin - they will pick it up and fold it so prettily or again put it back in your lap.

i was taken aback .......... and i commented to our young waiter, "wow! personalised service, thats really service for you"  the waiter smiled and said but of course madame.  and i bantered back, "so, do i get a massage too?"  :lol:

oh, the poor lad was so embarrassed as everyone at the table laughed.  but i must say he recovered well - as i wasnt done with him yet.  on his next round of serving i told him, im so disappointed as im still waiting for my massage. this time the young lad was ready for me - he said with a straight face, maybe later madame, if you still up to it?????  :lol:

yap ...... i give the lad nice tip for putting up with my crappy joke  :)

Ashanti,

You should be careful teasing those Irish lads, don't you know they are wearing nothing under their skirt?  Or is that Scottish, anyway they are about the same so its easy to mix them up.

• 4 weeks later...
Methersgate
Posted
Posted

In my domestic circumstances,

"It's up to you!" = "Fine!" = "If you really go ahead and do that, you will be in more trouble than you imagined was possible!"

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

"It's up to you!" = "Fine!" = "If you really go ahead and do that, you will be in more trouble than you imagined was possible!"

Why do they say its up to you if they really don't mean it?  They can't make a decision?  They don't think you will like their decision?  Or?

Sometimes my wife will ask me a question and I will say its up to you but I really mean it.  For example she may ask, do you want to eat chicken or beef tonight?  If I say its up to you then I really don't have a preference.  If she can't decide then I may say, which one is easier for you to cook?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

That has to be the most diabolical few words ever uttered by our loving little wife's.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have suspected it realy mean

"I don't like it."

but they don't say it straight, I guess because of their lose face culture.

Why do they say its up to you if they really don't mean it?  They can't make a decision?  They don't think you will like their decision?  Or?

Sometimes my wife will ask me a question and I will say its up to you but I really mean it.  For example she may ask, do you want to eat chicken or beef tonight?  If I say its up to you then I really don't have a preference.  If she can't decide then I may say, which one is easier for you to cook?

So I think better say

"It doesn't matter to me"

to avoid mix up  :)   with their common expression.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I thought women of all nationalities will say this!  I know I've gotten in trouble a couple times after hearing this statement!

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :mocking:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Bahala Na translates literally as "leave it up to God"

Hey guys,

In the Tagalog language, bahala na could mean (depending on situation and context) the person saying it

is upset by really saying -- go for it, if you get in trouble or your plan did not work.....don't blame it on me.  

Of course, that frustrated feeling is universal but I believe many Filipinas are OA (over acting) whenever

it's NOT necessary.  Which means wife or GF can apply that expression almost daily......he, he.  Perhaps

it's her lack of expressing or communicating her true feelings to you.  Most don't want to rock the boat or

the husband doesn't want to listen anyway because he's smarter? (western education vs her education).

Or the husband is overbearing, overprotective, jealous, impatient and will not compromise (take you pick).  

Over time, she finally gives up and say with sadness -- it's sup to you, sige....bahala na.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

Americano
Posted
Posted

Jake,

I was already thinking that Filipinas say its up to you because of what her man's reaction could be.  And, this is also why my wife never says it.  She knows I will support her decisions and if I disagree then we will discuss it and come to a mutual decision that both of us are happy with.  My wife and I don't have any reason to say something that we don't really mean.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

A few days ago my wife's younger sister posted a picture of my wife on Facebook and added a caption saying "A Beautiful Woman with a curly hair."  She didn't mean she has "a curly hair"    "A' when used in a sentence means 1.  She should have said "curly hair."   Someone told me that Filipino teachers are telling their students that every English sentence needs an A in it, so I told her that teachers are teaching her incorrect English.  Next, I plan to see if she can pronounce the word "medium" correctly, which is me/di/um.  Most teachers teach their students to say me/jum.