Filipino English Meanings Other Than You Would Expect

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Sensation?

Since you are talking about a massage I have pretty good idea what it is... but not why. 

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

To true 'Cano,,,its fun listening to a Pinoy pronounce the 'f" "peelings, nothing but peelings"....then again as a fellow yank,,,lets see you pronounce "Karuhatan" or any number of other Tagalog words with the right inflection. I am sure we are a continual source of amusement to our Filipino friends lolol :mocking:  

"lets see you pronounce "Karuhatan" or any number of other Tagalog words with the right inflection"  You are right about that but we didn't spend 10 years in school learning Tagalog.  Tagalog or Filipino which is the correct name is only taught and spoken in the Philippines so why would anyone expect foreigners to understand or speak Filipino? 

Edited by Americano
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Only spoken in one region of the Philippines. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted

You mean like to open the light?

And you never cross the street, you across the street.

"Open the light" is a literal translation from Tagalog.

I GUESS "Take care allways" is too, although from Visaya, because many Vusayans say so.

"In all fairness."
Isn't that corect (old) UK English?  I believe I have heared it in several UK (historical) movies.
  • Like 1

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

A Filipino "I feel bad" does not mean, as Americans might assume, "I feel guilty" but rather

"I have pain/ sickness"

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

You mean like to open the light?

And you never cross the street, you across the street.

"Open the light" is a literal translation from Tagalog.

I GUESS "Take care allways" is too, although from Visaya, because many Vusayans say so.

"In all fairness."
Isn't that corect (old) UK English?  I believe I have heared it in several UK (historical) movies.

Yes, in all fairness is correct but it must be used in some context to understand what is meant by "in all fairness"

This reminds me of our Filipina neighbor and her foreigner boyfriend. They live on the 1st floor and we live on the 2nd floor of our apartment building. One day he came to my door and was talking to me when his girlfriend yelled out to him, "not yet"  He said I don't have any idea what she means.  Another day she said "its finished"  he was just as confused as to what it could mean. So now my wife and I jokingly say to each other "its finished" and the other one will say "not yet"  Our neighbor says living with his girlfriend is like living with a small child because she only knows a few English words and he's forgetting how to speak English from living with her for 3 years.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

(More particularly with native speakers of Tagalog) "I blow" = I am going to vomit / am vomiting

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

(More particularly with native speakers of Tagalog) "I blow" = I am going to vomit / am vomiting

Reminds me of the 80s and the phrase "man, he blew chunks" or "I was blowing chunks" to mean vomiting. And I still hear " I feel bad " when someone doesn't feel good.

• Like 1

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

As a young and naive sailor in my hometown of Olongapo, I was asked by a nice female attendant if I want

a massage with sensation?  Confused, I said no thank you.  

Yeah, I was a dumb chit back then.....he, he.  

ha ha .......... you just reminded me of my recent escapade ..........

we attended a wedding a couple of weeks as ago at Bellingham Castle in Ireland.  and i had more than my usual glasses, unfortunately i dont have a head for alcohol and usually stick to just one glass.  anyway, at the sit down dinner, the waiters were not only attentive to the guest every needs but give personalised service too.  like they will unfolded your napkin and put it in your lap.  if you drop your napkin - they will pick it up and fold it so prettily or again put it back in your lap.

i was taken aback .......... and i commented to our young waiter, "wow! personalised service, thats really service for you"  the waiter smiled and said but of course madame.  and i bantered back, "so, do i get a massage too?"  :lol:

oh, the poor lad was so embarrassed as everyone at the table laughed.  but i must say he recovered well - as i wasnt done with him yet.  on his next round of serving i told him, im so disappointed as im still waiting for my massage. this time the young lad was ready for me - he said with a straight face, maybe later madame, if you still up to it?????  :lol:

yap ...... i give the lad nice tip for putting up with my crappy joke  :)

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

As a young and naive sailor in my hometown of Olongapo, I was asked by a nice female attendant if I want

a massage with sensation?  Confused, I said no thank you.  

Yeah, I was a dumb chit back then.....he, he.  

ha ha .......... you just reminded me of my recent escapade ..........

yap ...... i give the lad nice tip for........

Hey Ashanti,  

You naughty, naughty little girl -- a temptress with a nice and delicate shock to the young Irish lad.  

But girl......you're leaving us in deep suspense.  It's so bad that Jack P secretly ask me to ask you

if you actually got that sensational massage.....he, he.

You know me guys, I love turning the words around -- even your post above was edited....he, he.  

So even normal written English can be deceiving in both transmit and receive.  

Joke lang Miss Ashanti, respectfully -- Jake