The Two Island Rule

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I will be in a financial position to move to the Philippines in about 3-5 yrs as I am building quite the nest egg which will very easily carry me into the SS years when I am 62. My filipina wife (who came here to the US 8 months ago) is totally on board with the move back to her country because she has a large close extended family who she Skypes frequently(not missing them too much though).

Well, she's from the Gen San/Davao region of Mindanao and has already made the assumption we will be moving to that area. I'm not too thrilled about living there considering the options that suit me. It's been suggested to me, that, unless I want to have constant visitors and frequent financial requests-as I am the only foreigner in a sea of relatives, I should live at least 2 islands away. I'm not anti social by any means, but my dilemma will be working to convince my wife we should move to the Visayas (Bohol, Negros, Cebu, etc). I've been to the Philippines 5 times on extended vacations and saw many places. The Visayas seem more my speed and liking, but it's not all about me, I know. For the sake of safety and avoiding the various "situations", somehow I need to convince her we should be living elsewhere. My brother-who is rather blunt said I should follow the Golden Rule (He who has the Gold-makes the rules), but I'm not like that. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can work on her-convincing her while I have time? She's not all that stubborn, but wants a good reason. The move is definate. Where-is the question. Thanks, friends.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I will be in a financial position to move to the Philippines in about 3-5 yrs as I am building quite the nest egg which will very easily carry me into the SS years when I am 62. My filipina wife (who came here to the US 8 months ago) is totally on board with the move back to her country because she has a large close extended family who she Skypes frequently(not missing them too much though). Well, she's from the Gen San/Davao region of Mindanao and has already made the assumption we will be moving to that area. I'm not too thrilled about living there considering the options that suit me. It's been suggested to me, that, unless I want to have constant visitors and frequent financial requests-as I am the only foreigner in a sea of relatives, I should live at least 2 islands away. I'm not anti social by any means, but my dilemma will be working to convince my wife we should move to the Visayas (Bohol, Negros, Cebu, etc). I've been to the Philippines 5 times on extended vacations and saw many places. The Visayas seem more my speed and liking, but it's not all about me, I know. For the sake of safety and avoiding the various "situations", somehow I need to convince her we should be living elsewhere. My brother-who is rather blunt said I should follow the Golden Rule (He who has the Gold-makes the rules), but I'm not like that. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can work on her-convincing her while I have time? She's not all that stubborn, but wants a good reason. The move is definate. Where-is the question. Thanks, friends.

You could saythat you have heard about a few foreigners getting kidnapped on Mindanao for ransom.So to be safe you want to live elsewhere say not too far we can visit them but a place a little safer.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It may not be that bad Steve. Perhaps you both could give it a try if family members become a real problem you could move to a more distant location.

Your wife needs to be very strong and stand with you on this issue. I know you are experienced in regards to all this. Time will pass quickly you will be making the big move before you know it!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
She's not all that stubborn, but wants a good reason

Your safety should be the main reason for her not to want to live down there.  You were not specific about which area.  Davao may be safe but you are isolated there and taking a leisurely drive to Gen San would be dangerous.

Look up recent posts from Jon1 about the area, which he knows quite well.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

NPA is what bothers me most. When I say Davao/Gen San area, I should be more specific. It's actually Digos City and although I know they can take refuge in mountainous areas in Negros as well, it may be a matter of being close by to a city outside Mindanao. Those who live in Davao del Sur are passionate about it being safe-from those I have heard about. I have been in and around twice and saw no problems..it's just the extended time spent there.

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Well, I guess you could try telling her the truth.

• Like 4

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

As we get closer to the move, I know I will be totally transparent as to how I feel, but also OLD55, you have a point. Food for thought. Thanks for that.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

NPA is what bothers me most.

Steve, I would not worry too much about these people. Some years ago, I had a very Unfortunate incident happen, in Sta Catalina on Negros It turned out to be very Fortunate in the end for me. I was Driving up the Mountain to a friends Place, well out of earshot of Habitation. we ( my Wife and I) Stopped at a bar for some Lunch. After about 10/15 mins we were joined by 3 men who seemed a little edgy. they sat at a nearby table

Anyway to cut a long Story Short, one of them approached from their table and asked (Sort of casually) where are you going, I guess, we looked lost.

The guy said OH! but it is not easy to find. So he drew us a little map, good thing as I am sure we would never have found it. Mobile connections were useless up there.

Our friends Father said, when we arrived. Ah you got here then, good you got the Directions.

:89:  he laughed, it's OK we knew where you were, News travels fast here.

Yep, you got it, we had been led to the house, by 3 NPA members. Then, Father said, worry not, You have nothing, they want, they have no, fight with you.

Unless we ( the Foreigner) has BIG money or the Wife has Influences, they are just not Interested in us at all.

If you read about these Kidnappings, you will see that in 90% of the Cases, there is always a story to be unfolded. In many cases, the NPA welcome our presence as it takes a little heat of them and they know, we are no threat.

You will always get an idiot or two, that go renegade but that could be anyone, on the Street.

What I think I am trying to say is, commonsense and vigilance are watchwords to live bye.

No matter where you are, not being in the Wrong place at the Wrong time and certainly not saying the Wrong thing  is so very important.

During daylight hours, I feel Invincible. After dark and that is about 6.30pm here on Negros, I am never out on my own. maybe a quick walk down the road with the Dogs.

I made a Statement in a Post recently, (EL is going to be looking for his lady Soon,) I said to him, While you, are looking around Observing, You too, will be Observed.

As a Brit and ex-military I had experience with the same type of outfits (For me the IRA) the NPA are no different. If you don't, go looking for them, they will not come looking for you.  These people operate all over, Barangays, Towns and Cities. They just hide their HQ's in the mountains and safe areas for their own protection.

For me, I would be more concerned about the Family :rolleyes:

Whilst security should always be your Priority, I think, you need to  look nearer home, for your own peace of mind. The NPA will not, be interested in you. Unless you do Stupid things that is. Don't Brag about money, your House and Cars

Sorry to be long winded but the more I typed, the more interested, I got to say a little more

We moved here so we did not have to keep looking over our shoulders, we should be looking forward, mainly to see what lays ahead.

Finally, I will agree with Classic, Tell the truth, all of it. Between you both ( you and your Wife that is) I am sure, you will come to a decision that will suit you both. No point having doubts, that are not aired now, this can only lead to problems later  :)  post-2148-0-34091000-1407895763_thumb.jp

Have a Good All JP :tiphat:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

NPA is what bothers me most.

Edited by Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Grrrrrrrrrrr sorry Admin, getting double posts again :rolleyes:  :unsure:

• Like 1