Chinese Motorcycles?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Has anybody tried any of the Chinese motorcycles? And, if so, what did you think of them?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Well bob,,,i do know you feel like riding again an hour after your trip is over

dang sorry couldn't resist :lol:

• Like 4

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Hi Bob the chinese bikes here in oz seem to be o/k the only real problem I have seen is the ignition module fails and makes them hard to start also a loss of power due to the module. From what I have seen here the engines are direct copies of some of the Japanese engines.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have heard horror stories from the past about bad welds and frames routing out fast... I was wondering if that still hold true? Also tank sizes are suppose to be extremely small? Are these just stories?

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Depends Bob  the  quality is way better than it used to be BUT the price reflects the quality

Motorstar has come a long way in the last couple years with partnering with Harley and Paggio 

Great motors As Shong zing (sp) makes them and make most small cc motors in the world  yes even for Honda etc 

They have realized if they improve the product they can sell it  for example the new motor star duel sport bikes 

Lets see what you get  150cc water cooled makes the power of a 200 air cooled 

Showa suspension , duel disk floating caliper up front with a single disk at the back , inverted forks and I believe 6 speed all for the low price of 60k peso last years price .

Compare it to a xr200 at 140k you could have 2 china bikes plus change  for a better bike IMO

the main problem with china bikes is the wiring cheap cheap cheap  my motor star has been bulit proof except for wiring issues which are all easy fixs by a local mech for next to nothing.

I know they have a bad rep and well deserved but big improvements last few years but a new scooter for under a 1000 US makes it cheap to replace every couple years

In the end its hard to beat Japan for Quality  which is why a Mio is still over 2000US   although there are good deals on used bikes if you look around or ask the right people and that saves the head ache of getting plates  

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Bob, if it's just basic transportation, I like the Kymco Visa 110. Taiwanese and reasonably priced 4mm thick steel tube frame. 30,000 to 35,000 pisos as of 10 months ago, depending on where you were when you bought it, about the same price as the Chinese brands for the same thing but with I believe a little better quality control and specs of parts like switches and CDI than the run of the mill China cycle.

If I did happen to have a chinese motorcycle, I would be patient with it and whenever something needed to be replaced, the replacement part would be the corresponding Honda or Yamaha part, I mean if it failed you already, why replace with the same quality of part? I have heard that Rusi really does stand behind their products but I wouldn't want to be frequently leaving my ride at the shop until you get cheap parts that were made on a good day, where they guy putting them together didn't have a hangover.

I agree with Lyno that the Chinese probably skimp on the quality of the electric parts and while the mechanical parts are servicable, they were made to a price point. I saw a Youtube video where a man was cursing a Chinese offroad bike for all it's faults, blown forks, broken kickstart, broken handlebars, but it started on the first kick. I think the problem he was having was he was trying to make a $1k motorcycle do the job of a $10,000 super motocross motorcycle, for one thing he had obviously been jumping it and wrecked a few times, thus the handlebars which are not usually a wear item failed. :hystery:

Sometimes it all depends on who owns something.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Also tank sizes are suppose to be extremely small?

I found that the 2011 Rusi Chinese bike I had for 2 years used a lot more gas than the Hondas I used before and since.  That may make the tank seem smaller.  I also found that the Rusi was in the shop at least once a month to have some minor annoyance fixed.  Lastly, after 2 years I could not sell that Chinese Rusi for any reasonable sum of money.  Paid 40,000 pesos new and best offer I got for it after 2 years was 10,000.  I decided it is better to buy a 3 year old Honda for 40,000 pesos than a new Rusi.  Less trouble and 2 years later it is still easy to sell at good value.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Dave!

Now I really am in a quandry... Do I buy a used Rusi for P10k or a new Honda for P70k or so...?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Do I buy a used Rusi for P10k

I would have bought my own used Rusi for 10K.  I would have hatd it and cursed every time it broke, but I cannot resist a bargain.

Edit:  Instead I left it with my ex so she can have the problems :-)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted
 Paid 40,000 pesos new and best offer I got for it after 2 years was 10,000.  I decided it is better to buy a 3 year old Honda for 40,000 pesos than a new Rusi.  Less trouble and 2 years later it is still easy to sell at good value.

40k for a used good honda  with plates 

Agreed best idea the whole getting plates is a major headache from new