Chinese Motorcycles?

robert k
Posted
Posted

The Suzuki HD 110 I bought has a 10 liter fuel tank was robust and well made got great fuel milage and was quieter than my mothers sewing machine, it was a hand clutch model and was popular for trikes because it was so economical although I think it was underpowered for such use. 48k piso. It also had an oil filter and the service intervals for oil change are much longer than some other motorcycles. I would not be afraid to buy one like it again.

The kymco I mentioned above would be fine for general transportation, I bough the Suzuki because the farm needed something like that and it could be converted to a trike for another 20,000 piso. The Kymcos also seem to hold resale value, if not quite as well as a Honda. I would say it's equivalent to the difference between a Honda and Hundai cars. The Honda is just going to hold it's value better.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Chinese motorbikes?

I rode this round Beijing for five years, and on one memorable occasion for a ten day tour of Inner Mongolia:

changjiang750_zpsd7e05d18.jpg

You would not believe how carp the electrics are; let's just say they are best suited to a dry climate such as Beijing for most of the year. It did have some pulling power when ridden down Sanlitun by a helmetless foreigner on a summer evening - you would need a Lambo to get the same effect these days. 

I never rode another bike that was as un-interested in cornering as that one was.

The Philippines general hack that impressed me was the Kawasaki Barako, a 175 single very much in the Kawasaki manner , much favoured for trikes in Pagadian, which is quite vertically challenged, as Filipino cities go:

kawasakibarako_zps570e50d1.jpg

Something tells me that the Blue Angel would not be happy in the Philippines:

K7541012_zps842d2e1c.jpg

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

I just realised I was having a brain fart, it's a Suzuki GD110 not a 110 HD. It is a heavy duty thing though. I was just looking on the Kymco website and now they are just calling their motorcycle I was talking about a a Visar, I swear it was a Visa R before. I'm not worried about losing it because they say the mind is the first to go and the  body went long ago. :hystery:

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just realised I was having a brain fart, it's a Suzuki GD110 not a 110 HD. It is a heavy duty thing though. I was just looking on the Kymco website and now they are just calling their motorcycle I was talking about a a Visar, I swear it was a Visa R before. I'm not worried about losing it because they say the mind is the first to go and the  body went long ago. :hystery:

Hey Soldier,

Must be all that boom-boom coming out of an Abrams tank that affected your memory.....he, he.  I know

that you specialize in all things mechanic and emergency jury rig is also in your tool box.  I was wondering

what usually goes out on a typical motorcycle made or assembled in PI?  You guys mentioned about the

electrical problems.  Is it wiring, switches or the ignition system?  

No matter what brand, is it also important to make a wiser decision based on parts availability or quality?  

post-686-0-29714300-1408216089_thumb.jpg Nice ride Robert!

Sabot Up!

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Turn signals, they don't get used enough to keep the contacts clean, of course the headlight bulb never had a chance, it was taken out before it could burn out. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Turn signals, they don't get used enough to keep the contacts clean, of course the headlight bulb never had a chance, it was taken out before it could burn out. :thumbsup:

Yep its all little stuff mostly connections and to small gauge wire . All the rain and humidity may be part of the problem . All the components seem to last its poor soldering and cheap connectors   

• Like 1

barryneves
Posted
Posted

Agree with Cebu Rocks. I bought a water-cooled Motorstar 155-X to replace my previous XR-200. Better build quality, suspension and overall finish than the Honda. The only thing that let it down was spares availability. The thermostat eventually failed and they have to order a new one from China. This, needless to say, will take months! I eventually sold it, replacing it with an XR-125, simply due to easy spares availability anywhere in the country. 

Overall though, it was a great bike and given the price difference between that and the japanese competition, great value for money!

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Does anybody ever ride the "Business Class" motorcycles as a personal ride?  I was thinking of the Honda TMX Supremo...  It kind of reminds me of the smaller bikes back in my old Kawi 900 days...  (Yes, that would be the mid-70s...   :mocking: )  Anyway, the Honda TMX looks like it would be more comfortable for a young lady in back along with more room for storing things such as saddlebags (very small saddlebags..), groceries or golf clubs...  

:rolleyes:  :mocking:

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

Great thread! I generally stick to the humble 125 XRM. I've never risen anything bigger, but would like to.