Chinese Motorcycles?

robert k
Posted
Posted

Bob, I have a Honda CB 125 overhead cam, almost identical to a TMX 155 pushrod, including power, here in the states and it's a great bike. The GD 110 I bought in the Philippines had a large comfortable seat and it was long enough that the thing seemed like it was made for three or more, I think it was.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

The TMX is a work horse nothing refined about it  . kick only ,4 speed all down , and 4 shocks on the back geared very low 

But with a little work Honda-TMX155-modified.jpg

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Has anybody tried any of the Chinese motorcycles? And, if so, what did you think of them?

Aren't many of the parts done there anyway?    :)

(But they can bother more about quality, when they sell to a brand with higher quality demands to let them go on being supplier.)

Btw- Hpw about buying a MT  CAR with MC engine?    :)

Edited by Thomas

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Aren't many of the parts done there anyway? 

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but I can tell you that many of the 'Chinese bikes' sold in Philippines are imported as parts from China and assembled as 'Philippine' bkes to avoid some import duties.  It means you have cheap Chines parts with cheaper Philippine labor.  Good luck with that.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The TMX is a work horse nothing refined about it  . kick only ,4 speed all down , and 4 shocks on the back geared very low 

But with a little work Honda-TMX155-modified.jpg

I still think they're pretty... ;)

The one you referred to is the TMX155... The new bike is called the TMX Supremo and is now a 5 speed (all down) and has electric start... I don't know about the gearing but, with 5 speeds, I wouldn't anticipate much of a problem. Honda proceed it at P69,999 (I think) before taxes and freight so that's not a bad price on my eyes!

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Aren't many of the parts done there anyway?   :)

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but I can tell you that many of the 'Chinese bikes' sold in Philippines are imported as parts from China and assembled as 'Philippine' bkes to avoid some import duties.  It means you have cheap Chines parts with cheaper Philippine labor.  Good luck with that.

I just joked, suppousing most parts for ALL motorbikes being made in China anyway   :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Gator
Posted
Posted

I'm facing the same dilemma as you Bob as I'm planning to return soon and stay for 6-8 months (if not permanently). I too will buy a bike, so the decision is - buy an  inexpensive late model/new Chinese bike or a more expensive Japanese one. After doing a bit of research, both on the net and talking to a few people when I was last there, I'm leaning towards the Japanese brands due to parts availability, higher resale value and over all reliability. But, the price point on the Chinese bikes do make them appealing.

During my last 2 visits, 6 and 8 weeks in Cebu respectively, I rented bikes. The first one was an older Honda 125XL dual sport type and the second one was a late model Suzuki Hayate, also 125cc's, but styled more like a scooter.

The Honda ran like a champ and never let me down, but possibly due to age/low compression it had a tough time making up some of the mountain roads; especially if I had a girl riding on the back. What was worse though was coming back down, as it was an older model it only had drum brakes (front & rear) and they would start to fade fairly quickly. No crashes, but even though I had stopped to let the brakes cool I did have one very close call as I came off of a curve. Whatever I buy will have at least a single disc brake on the front - and I may spend the money and add one to the rear if it's not already there.

Although the Suzi had a wider seat and more comfortable ride on smooth roads I didn't care for the way it handled. Despite having an almost new rear tire the rear end seemed to want to come out from under me easier then the Honda, especially if the roads were wet, sandy or muddy. One time I had to "walk" it about 70 meters through a very muddy section of a road construction site as it was just way too squirrely and I honestly feared that I would drop it. Also the non adjustable suspension was too soft and didn't have enough travel for my 90 kg's on rough roads and it would bottom out jarring my old and tired back :). They may be fine for around the city or on good roads and for smaller/lighter riders, but I've been riding "regular" motorcycles for 40+ years (both on and off road) and the "scooter" types you commonly see there are definitely not for me.

Right now I'm seriously thinking about at the dual sport types in the 150 to 250cc range. I feel they're the best all around bikes given the road and traffic conditions there. In addition, I enjoy doing some trail riding from time to time, but even in the cities there are plenty of potholes that you wont see if they're filled with rainwater, really rough patches of road and high curbs that occasionally need jumping. But I won't rule out something like the Kawasaki Rouser 180/200/220 or the near bullet proof Honda TMX (which I've seen converted to more of a dual sport style). Basically for me I think it'll boil down to what's available on the used market at the time I arrive and within the budget I've set for myself. 

Regardless of what I do buy I plan to remove every nut, bolt and screw I can reach, apply some Loctite Blue, and then of course retighten them; wheel bearings, O rings and seals will checked and if applicable greased; and as many of the electrical connections I can get to will also be checked and sealed. I've heard too many horror stories of things coming loose (at the worse possible time of course :D) due to poor assembly practices (even the Japanese bikes are shipped only partially assembled) and almost zero final QC inspections. IMHO the time it'll take and the few pesos I'll spend for tools I'll need will be well worth it!

Good luck and safe riding.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello Gator,

Excellent advice based on another boots on the ground report.  I especially like your recommendation about drum brakes.

I didn't realize they still sell bikes with old school brakes.  One more thing about ownership in the Philippines.  How does

one lock or secure your motorcycle?  Do you sometimes pay someone to watch it?

Thanks Gator for your timely advice!  I just love this Kawasaki 220 you mentioned:

post-686-0-07022000-1409872716_thumb.jpg

Respectfully -- Jake

jon1
Posted
Posted

The best way to secure your bike is keep it locked up (with a chain thru the frame) within your compound. You have to remember that these bikes are relatively light (maybe 300lbs) and can easily be picked up and carried away. It happens all of the time not to mention parts just disappearing off of them if left in an insecure place.  

Yamaha and Honda make awesome small bikes and are very reliable. Most seem to average about 100mpg (which a gallon is all that they hold anyways). I purchased a Yamaha Sniper 135CC for my brother in law 5 years ago (60,000p) and it still runs like a champ. Parts are relatively cheap and most mechanics know how to work on them.  

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Jake,

Even the TMX comes standard with drum brakes (www.hondaph.com/showcase/tmx-supremo), but a dealer installed conversion to a disc (actually just an add on) is available. Maybe they've upgraded their drum brakes/heat dispersion in recent years, but I wouldn't be surprised if the pads are made from carabao cookies. Drum brakes are just such a pain to replace/inspect/clean and they tend squeal when dust builds up in them. I know they use them to keep costs down and generally speaking they're fine for low speed city driving.

A guy staying in the same condo me during my last visit bought a TMX, a 2013 model, he had the brakes and shocks upgraded (he was about 6'2 and easily100kgs). He also had a trunk mounted on the back that was large enough to hold 2 helmets and he told me the out the door price from a Honda dealer in Mandaue was just over 70K; not a bad deal for a brand new bike.

For securement I used one of those flexible plastic encased cable locks, the cable is 3/8", thinks it's about 3 feet long and bought in the US before I went. I only used it if I parked around the Mango area in Cebu and a few other places within the city plus on overnight trips when I had to leave it outside in hotel's parking lot. In the malls' parking garages I generally would just put a padlock (weather resistant Master lock with 2 1/2" shackle) on the rear sprocket of the Honda or thru the disc brake on the Suzi. If you do that, don't forget to take it off, after the second time I forgot I painted it a bright florescent orange to help remind me as I always do a walk around safety inspection of my bike before I ride.

Never paid anyone to watch it, but a few times I returned to find a piece of greasy cardboard tied down to the seat and a tout with his/her hand out. Since he/she was so concerned that I didn't burn my a$$ on a hot solar heated seat I didn't mind giving him/her a few pesos; such wonderful people there!

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2