Always Something New

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I finally broke the AMD CPU Fan Bracket Base on my computer .... I was wondering just when that would happen as I have removed my aftermarket Sunbeam 120mm Core Contact Freezer ....... here is a picture of the beast and it IS a beast ....

post-11-0-12811100-1407901125_thumb.jpg

It has served me well and kept my temps down in the low 60'sC even while playing the most demanding games .... BUT the damn way it connects to your CPU bracket takes 3 men and a boy to mount it and the last time (2 days ago) I took it off to clean it and replace the thermo paste my CPU came off with it bending about 8 pins on the chip ..... and breaking off one ear of the bracket ...... just as luck would have it I streightened the pins using the end of a mechanical pencil and a credit card .... it worked so I guess it is OK .....

Broken bracket ..... 

post-11-0-85614100-1407902615_thumb.jpg

So off we go to the local computer shop only to be told that part is not available here in the Philippines (it is in the US on Amazon) ..... better to check a local repair shop or I will need to buy a whole new Mother Board ..... yea right ..... we found a used on right next door at the place he recommended .... used for p250 .... I'm back up running but using the stock cooler that came with my AMD chip ....

Problem is that without aircon and an ambient temp being around 31C my idle temp runs about 43C and gaming runs about 65C playing Watchdogs ..... and it is not a real graphic intense game .... so not I'm looking at a CoolMaster Hyper 212 Evo ..... same type of design but a tad bit smaller and not as heavy and it mounts a whole lot better than the Sunbeam ..... now to find one here .... :thumbsup:

Anyway just some of the joys of computering here in the Phils ..... remember that Newegg ..... Tiger Direct and Amazon are light years away ..... :mocking:

:cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Gee Mike, some guys have all the fun    :hystery:  :hystery:

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Living in Paradise vs. New Egg, Tiger Direct and Fry's? Hmmm, could be a hard choice if you desperately need that technology! :1 (103):

MrCreosote
Posted
Posted

Mike, have you tried checking PC surplus shops? Coz that is what I always do every time my PC parts are not available on computer shops (e.g. the ones in the malls). Just don't expect too much on the quality though since it is surplus, but since this is just a bracket I don't think you really need to go A+ on quality.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Mike, a little trick I do here in Canada is log into Amazon.ca and save my login and password. Log out and go shop Amazon.com and, if the seller says international shipping (and does not specify the Philippines as verboten in your case), Amazon picks up that you belong on Amazon.ca (Amazon.ph). A lot of products that don't show up on the Canadian Amazon are suddenly available! This doesn't always work and i don't see why it does but I'm not complaining! I've shopped other Amazons the same way so I'm hoping it will work in the Philippines!

• Like 1

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

Anything under 90c is fine.

Low 60's under load is very very good.