I

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I

til
Posted
Posted

Well as far as I see it, those are not "standard" medicaments, but mostly really heavy Drugs and they are on that list for a reason. Good to know the rules though and better check before you go there if your in doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
No name
Posted
Posted
Prescription Narcotics are prohibited in the Philippines
I haven't read the link yet but I will.I know that morphine can be had here.Retired, many places ask for a passport but other forms of id will work. They just tend to ask for that if you're a foreigner. You mentioned that a lot of drugs are not available here. That is true. I've been able to find something to replace everything though with the help of a local doctor. I take a muscle relaxer I could get here though but I found something that works better and doesn't knock me out. I've had a heck of a time finding Xanax here, I've been taking it for more than 25 years. Found one place that had it, Doctors hospital but they wouldn't fill my RX because it didn't come from one of their doctors. Then my local pharmacy started carrying it but my RX is more than six months old and once again they wouldn't fill it so I had to go get another one. Will get it filled next month and will try to remember to update it. I could live without it but I'd rather not. :)I've take an antidepressant that I wish I had never started taking. Stopping taking it is a night mare. Its really hard to imagine unless you've gone through it for a couple of days. Its called Effexor, if you google it you'll see horror stories about people getting of it. Just as I was about to run out, my local pharmacy got it for me. And I've picked it up for the last three months with no problem. Went to get some a few days ago and they told me I have to have an Rx for it next time. I found that really odd. I'd just get it some place else but its been so hard to find, that I didn't try. When I was running out a few months ago, I got a friend to send me some from Mindanao, most he could find was five tablets.My American doctor told me not to even try to get off it, to take at least the minimum dose and that's what I take now. I even called her too get a refill and she would have done it for me but she stopped practising. When I heard that, I considered flying back to the states just to get it. For a long time I ordered my drugs from the US and had them shipped to johnny Air Cargo who would then ship them to me. It would be a good idea for any new expat to leave the US with as many refills as they can on file at Walgreen's or other pharmacy that will deliver via mail. That will give you time to find a doctor here and make the needed changes.Relate To that is my medications cost me over $1100 a month in the US (before insurance) but here basically the same meds cost me $300 a month (before insurance). Most will be better off getting them here.While I'm at it, a hospital room will cost you about P1500 at a private hospital.They don't seem to practise preventative medicine here like they do in the US. I have found an American doctor just north of Cebu City. I'm going to go see him in the next couple of months. I hear he does all his own lab work which will be a good thing.I have lupus and a whole bunch of other crap that goes along with it. I've had no issues getting what I need. Took a little work on my part though.

• 2 weeks later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

That is interesting. I am seen as an out patient by the VA Clinic in Pasay, Manila. They prescribe 2 different pain killers and 2 muscle relaxants and send them to me via Filipino postal service. I have traveled by ferry and by air here in the Philippines, and entered in Hong Kong and Cebu were my items were searched. The US Vetrans clinics must be exempy. as they were never even questioned. They were in the proper continers and listed in my name and within experation dates. I have never been questioned before.