Changes For New 13A Visa Applicants

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if this particular topic has been raised as I had searched and did not find a similar post, but it's in regards to recent changes for requirements on new applicants filing for a 13a visa. The BI in Manila is requesting all new 13a applicants that are married regardless of how long you have stayed in the Philippines (many applicants are dealing with their Balikbayan priviledge expiring) submit a notarized and authenticated police clearance that is to be ceritified by the Philippine Embassy in the US that covers your state you came from. (ex.expats from Florida are residents covered by the Wash DC Embassy, Kansas residents are covered by the Chicago Emdassy, etc).This process is a very daunting task (to say the least), as documents have to be mailed and returned to you 3 times from 3 different govt branches before you can then Fed Ex the document(s) back to the person living in the Phl. I recently did this-successfully I might add (via proxy) for a friend of mine living in Negros who figured it was just too much for him to fly back (don't blame him in the least). It's a little expensive and time consuming-but required now nonetheless. Your local BI office may tell you that you don't need a police clearance if you have lived in the Philippines for 6 months or more-but they don't have the final say. Manila will kick it back. Please be aware of this and be ready to accomplish this (you get a cirtificate from the Phl Embassy with a red ribbon on it as the required police document to submit with your 13a). In addition, the applicant must submit his/her marriage cirtificate showing a green background-rather than the yellow background marriage certificate (another revenue generating tactic I guess), so you would have to make a stop at the NSO for that. If anyone wants to know in much further detail how a friend in your host country can assist you if you are in the Philippines and don't want to travel back just for this reason, please let me know. I will be glad to walk you through this process.

Then again, nothing changes faster in the Philippines than the weather and immigration requirements ( sunshine with scattered grey areas-lol)

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

This is not new, it's at least a year and a half old. I pulled the current checklist from the BI web site and it clearly states the requirement pertains to those in the country less then 6 months. If you are here more than that you need the NBI clearance only. However, the interviewing attorney can make it a requirement. I did this earlier this year and I needed only the NBI clearance. See # 7 & 8.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/ImmigrantVisasForms/ImmigrantVisaByMarriage/2014-12-001%20Rev%200%20Conversion%20to%20Non-Quota%20Immigrant%20by%20Marriage%20Probationary.pdf

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Ya Steve where were you 6 months ago lolol :bash: . (kidding) went through the hassle myself of sending back to the USA for my FBI clearance, (send money to my sis, have her forward the letter, have it sent to her, have it sent to me) shlept up to inturmuros only to be told it had to be certified by the Phil embassy in the states. to make it worse we had just got back from a quick vacation to Guam so I had to start my 6 months in country all over :1 (103): . Oh well, if that is the worse that happens in retirement here, I can live with it.

For me the trick to living here, is to just put massive amount of patience in your wallet, don't loose your cool and just roll with it. :no:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

This is not new, it's at least a year and a half old. I pulled the current checklist from the BI web site and it clearly states the requirement pertains to those in the country less then 6 months. If you are here more than that you need the NBI clearance only. However, the interviewing attorney can make it a requirement. I did this earlier this year and I needed only the NBI clearance. See # 7 & 8.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/ImmigrantVisasForms/ImmigrantVisaByMarriage/2014-12-001%20Rev%200%20Conversion%20to%20Non-Quota%20Immigrant%20by%20Marriage%20Probationary.pdf

Yes it`s all down to the interviewing attorney, which makes it a bit of a joke really.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I guess, this not being as recent as I thought, Mike (I stand corrected there) and I should have just highlighted it... but maybe there is some value knowing this might be a major hassle for some who encounter this requirement that my friend had to face in his case.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

but maybe there is some value knowing this might be a major hassle for some who encounter this requirement that my friend had to face in his case.

I agree. Bottom line they can do whatever they want. During the interview the attorney asked my wife in the dialect if I went out drinking and chasing women. I didn't see that covered anywhere in the many forms I had to fill out, have notarized, and make endless copies of. If the answer was wrong that may have necessitated the requirement or maybe they would have kiboshed the whole thing, who knows. We have no visibility into anything so we rely on the shared experiences of each other.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

:89:  would it just be cheaper and easier(less of a headache) to a "VISA RUN" with the wife?

that is for the healthier expats?

• Like 1