Do You Catch A Cold/flu More Often In The Philippines Than Your Home Country?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that I catch a cold/flu more often here in the Philippines than back in the USA. At most I would catch a cold/flu maybe once a year if at all where I lived in the USA. Here in the Philippines I get cold/flu symptoms much more often. 3-4 times a year and have a problem after with a lingering cough.

Have you had the same experience?

What is the cause? Pollution? Climate? Crammed in cheek to jowl riding jeepneys with too many other people?

All of the above?

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
All of the above?

That's it. Also, here, I am not able to get the flu shot which comes out in November in Canada. Usually, I get a URTI once a year shortly after my arrival.

I get lots of "morning star", that crud on the inside edge of my eyes, and phlegm, likely from pollution.

• Like 2

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have actually been sick much less than when I was in the US. I have had a flu like illness only one time in seven years, (knock on wood) and other than food related illnesses I have been very healthy.  I actually feel much better than when I was in the US and rarely use any OTC meds (if any).

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
and have a problem after with a lingering cough.

I think I have about the same frequency here, maybe twice a year for a bad / cold flu.  However twice I have had a lingering cough here.  I went to a good doc at Asian hospital the first and he said it was due to a very mild case of asthma that gets triggered by the cold / flu.

I hate going to Manila because of the pollution.  Driving south on NLEX you can see the brown cloud approaching.  The above mentioned doc said it was a good move to go to Subic.  The air quality is much better here.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

"Yes, but nowhere near as often as in China".

Life in China was about 50-60% flu type symptoms, all the time. In the Philippines I can go quite a while without feeling that I have flu, but I do think Manila is significantly less healthy than the provinces.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another thing to consider is that our immune systems are acclimated for the regions we all came from. When we moved here to Bacolod, I was sick almost every month for awhile. Our bodies do not have the built up immunities that Filipinos have here genetically from birth passed to them by their parents and grandparents. Food for thought.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Another thing to consider is that our immune systems are acclimated for the regions we all came from.

BINGO!!!! Every time we visited and then when we made the move I caught a cold or flu or whatever. Went back to the states for a visit after 9 months, whamo got sick, returned to Philippines got sick, visited Guam, you guessed it lololol.

Once acclimated I don't seem to get sick more than back in the world. Unless I swallow some water while washing my hair,,then its on the pooper the next day :999:

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Another thing to consider is that our immune systems are acclimated for the regions we all came from.

BINGO!!!! Every time we visited and then when we made the move I caught a cold or flu or whatever. Went back to the states for a visit after 9 months, whamo got sick, returned to Philippines got sick, visited Guam, you guessed it lololol.

Once acclimated I don't seem to get sick more than back in the world. Unless I swallow some water while washing my hair,,then its on the pooper the next day :999:

The cramped confines of an airplane with recirculated air makes it more likely you will catch a virus like the cold/flu during your flight.

On the long cross pacific flights I have notices many asians wearing surgical masks. 

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
The cramped confines of an airplane with recirculated air makes it more likely you will catch a virus like the cold/flu during your flight.

I suspect that is where I get the URTI from as it is always within 2 weeks of my arrival to the PI (but never when I return to Canada. I get free meds in Canada but I have to pay for them here)

Our bodies do not have the built up immunities that Filipinos have here genetically from birth

We returned 2 weeks ago to the PI. My wife has a cough and a cold now but I don't. She never got sick in Canada. 

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I just get the man flu when i get of the plane back in England, all those germs mixed from everyone for hours on end

• Like 2