How To Plan For An Unexpected Medical Emergency

Etiennejp
Posted
Posted

Hey !

Nice Topic ! 

I have found this website : http://mydoctorfinder.com/nearestdoctor

It can be very useful to find Doctors and Hospitals near you in the Philippines. I use it when i am travelling in the Philippines  :)

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I have found this website

Nice site.  I gave it a try and found the names of 20 doctors in Dumaguete.  Not sure if I will like any of them but a great place to start.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Like some of the other posts have advised, the very best plan is to have good medical travel insurance, and secondly particularly if you are in Cebu region, is to know your ambulance number, ERUF is only free ambulance service in Cebu where you will be treated with Western style EMS and they will transport you to appropriate hospital. That is my 2 cents.

• Like 5

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

Mike Please post the phone numbers for those of us that live in Cebu

cheers mate

• 1 year later...
RBM
Posted
Posted

Couple of points like to add to the excellent posts.

One is to reiterate the importance of having ones wife, GF able to drive. Do not ever rely on local ambulances  being available.

Next is have a board handy, many accidents need this to ovoid further injury  especially spinal. We will have one in car as soon as recovered, never expect ones hospital to have this available. 

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Further to last post if permitted here as understand going to be separate forum for medical insurance, mods move this anytime please.

For Aussies and kiwis hard to go past 1 cover, extremely inexpensive and very caring. If unfortunate enough be hospilized they will spare no expense on you, I have first hand knowledge  of this.

Also they have a cover for expats abroad which maybe a tad more expensive 

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 9/20/2014 at 11:44 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

This could be a great thread if those with actual hospital experience post a few of their observations on what to do long in advance of needing a hospital visit.  If the posts are constructive enough, I suspect we can convince JGF to make it a 'stcky' so that it is more easily found.

1 - I suggest that we need to find all the local emergency rooms in the area we live and take a look in advance to see which one you would want to be brought to in an emergency.  Let your partner know.

2 - I suggest bringing up blood types with good friends at expat meetings or other social gatherings to let them know what blood type you have and that you are willing to donate to friends in an emergency.  Those with the same blood type will approach you to thank you for your offer and that is the beginning of your list on who to call when YOU need blood.

3 - If you do not have a permanent gf then arrange with friends to find you a 'watcher' if you are hospitalized.  It has to be someone you can trust with your cash, comfort and embarrassing events.

4 - Keep about 10K pesos in cash available at all hours of the day or night.  Have access to 20K more in cash that friends can access for you in an emergency.  Have a plan for 100K pesos or more to pay your hospital bill in an emergency.  Many hospital visits can cost much more than that but we deal with those larger bills as they come.

5 - Find a good doctor for check ups well in advance of needing hospitalization.  A doctor with 'pull' at the hospital will grease a lot of wheels for you.

OK!   Whose next with planning advice?

6 Have several bank accounts,   keep at least P20k in each, more the better. If one is hospilized away from your branch can be difficult withdrawing large amounts.

Space intentionally left for future additions.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
bang4dabuck
Posted
Posted

Will the hospital doctors take credit cards ? Hate tieing up money just sitting in banks. I guess having a USD savings account won't help much either. You would think these guys would embrace the new ways to get paid and faster.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, bang4dabuck said:

Will the hospital doctors take credit cards ? Hate tieing up money just sitting in banks. I guess having a USD savings account won't help much either. You would think these guys would embrace the new ways to get paid and faster.

Some yes, some no.  Same as hospitals, some yes, some no.  You better ask in advance.  Often the hospital bills you separate from the doctors (as Silliman has done for me) and the hospital will take a credit card but the doctor won't.  Cash is king.  Use your credit card at the ATM to get cash and pay the doc.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

the hospital will take a credit card

Yes, as long as the system is up, we tried to pay for all our Labs & things by card but the damned machine was playing up so I had to dash out and get cash 

• Like 1