Noisy Neighbours

RBM
Posted
Posted

Mods I think there is another post on this, feel free to move it please as I unable to find it..

With our rental term becoming due around 2 months ago we started searching for a place. Finding one that seemed suitable we undertook the usual due diligence. 

Arriving at 6am.....checking any extreme noise, same during the day plus often late at night. All was within normal limits, of course not silent but normal.

The owners are a nice old couple, extremely well off and a little eccentric plus extremely Kuriput. We had to pay all in cash as bank transfer was not allowed, further we knew very well no monies would ever be spent on repairs. 

The house was quite new new so all OK. Pleasing that the other half (duplex) was occupied by a Canadian guy with his wife, less chance of the dreaded Kareoke.

Well first 6 weeks went along nicely, all good and no contact from the owners. 

Soon after the..our..bubble burst, computer games next door started around 11pm going until 4am. Woke me and pretty much stopped me from having a deep sleep there after. 

Believe it or not my GF did not stir or even have any idea about this........

Next night  all OK, Following night started  again and has continued the next days pretty much on a regular basis.

First reaction was to talk the Canadian, according to the owners he is almost never in, him and his wife travel in Thailand a lot. The residents are her family....

He further commented, this is the reason the last tenants left.....Thanks for telling me before I paid you...he refuses to become involved  as had problems with them  and we are unable he says to contact the Canadian.

1.....Knock on the door and request nicely please refrain from noise after 10pm.

Probable reaction, sorry we disturb you, may work for a week, next time ask again. Reaction... I am bad foreigner controlling them. Maybe stones on roof....

2.....Go to the local officials and request their intervention........again I am the bad foreigner. May leave myself open to stones on the roof or some other nonsense.....

3....Take a hit on the security deposit plus 3 months advance rent (paid 6 months advance)  and move out.

As we travel a lot I do have the chance to catch up on sleep, how ever.........

Maybe another way interested in comments as this must be a common experience. 

Alby
Posted
Posted

I pretty much had and have the same problem :)

I think it's a common thing coz I accepted this one coz I thought it was quiet especially the owner is a doctor!

The unit I took is one of 4. They all are same design and share the same ground.

The neighbor next door don't seem to have AC so she opens the door to let air circulate but also to let her speakers blast away!

I haven't moved in yet but didn't see that problem when I checked it. Hey, the owner is a doctor and lives next door !

So, I will give it a try and see ...

Mind you, my tolerance fir noise is zero :)

At least my lease is for a year and also paid 3 months rent in cash :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBM
Posted
Posted

I pretty much had and have the same problem :)

I think it's a common thing coz I accepted this one coz I thought it was quiet especially the owner is a doctor!

The unit I took is one of 4. They all are same design and share the same ground.

The neighbor next door don't seem to have AC so she opens the door to let air circulate but also to let her speakers blast away!

I haven't moved in yet but didn't see that problem when I checked it. Hey, the owner is a doctor and lives next door !

So, I will give it a try and see ...

Mind you, my tolerance fir noise is zero :)

At least my lease is for a year and also paid 3 months rent in cash :)

Thanks Alby,

If I had the same situation personally would take a hit and not move in.

The stress of moving followed by the noise. Maybe your able to talk to the neighbour but from experience its short term only.

Wish you best of luck.

Alby
Posted
Posted

Thanks RBM!

The problem is where to go?

I agree with you. People are not going change and be quiet overnight!

I might just give it a year and look around and see?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Earplugs

• Like 2

Alby
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave and yes. It's something I bought a ton of before coming over. I always travel with them.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I must admit that I am fortunate to be losing my hearing as I age.  That plus a noisy air conditioner drowns out most of the neighborhood noises.  I find it easier to sleep in a noisy area because, when living in a very quiet province area I would wake up easily when there was an unusual noise.  Commenting about the noise problem in Philippine towns is like commenting about there being water in a puddle.  Its not always gonna be there but often enough that you need to get used to it.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Tough situation. I had a similar deal in Cebu City with a barking dog and gave up and left. I would at least talk to them before doing anything. If that doesn't help and the owner won't get involved there's not much you can do but leave. See if he'll refund some of what you paid but either way I would leave. The judicial system is corrupt and dysfunctional, I wouldn't bother with it. Next time ask why the previous tenant left before you hand over the money. I'm resigned to living in an unattached house behind walls - as tall as possible.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

go and knock on the door may be send the missis first, if that dont work then you go round and just asked them , see if they would wear headphones when playing the games,

No matter how you may hate them and the noise , its best to talk first,

I had the same problem here and i had to wear earplugs all the time, makes you so angry and you listen for every little noise all the times, I feel for you mate good luck, also my Missis did not hear anything too,

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

Actually, what I thought of doing was the same! That's open my front door and play Beethoven loudly then wait it out :)

The worst nightmare I had was in Dumaguette. I was on the third floor apt, side street and could hear every buzzing tricycle up to 1 pm and then again at 5 am!

I used ear plugs and of course my Filipina gf didn't comprehend why I was doing this :)

She'd snore away in 5 minutes :)