Noisy Neighbours

Alby
Posted
Posted

There are so many issues one has to contend with to the point of surprising me that some posts here claim it's a DREAM retirement :)

Gee ... It's so noisy out there that you won't be able to dream :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

This was one of my pseudo-problems when I was in the Philippines. Filipinos, it seems, can sleep through anything at any time of day.

Fortunately, the neighbors didn't blast their radio TOO often at 3 a.m. I didn't mind during the day, only when I was trying to sleep. :)

I had an..."acquaintance" (had a few of these)...also from the United States, who moved into a house near a beach. All was fine for a couple months until the owners of the beach expanded directly adjacent to his house. He didn't appreciate the late-night radios blasting, so he stuck his speakers in the window and blasted Judas Priest and other hard rock musics in retaliation. He got a little satisfaction from doing that, but I doubt that it even phased the Filipinos. I think they are used to a lot of conflicting noise at times and subconsciously shut it out.

The mayor had his street closed to traffic every night at 8 p.m. and enforced a noise ordinance. He was probably the only one that cared anything about noise.

• Like 1

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

In many cases I love the social attitude of the Filipino people. Untimely noise, being the downside to this friendly social behavior means adjustments need to be made. Let's face it; it's in the culture and you can't change the spots on a leopard so however you chose to roll with it or adjust accordingly, I believe it's how one prepares for this inevitability that can make the difference.

Absolutely true. This summed up much of my attitude while I was in the Philippines, and it made my life so much easier. I know that's little comfort when faced with constant noise problems.

But I didn't enjoy hanging out with most foreigners I met because they would constantly bash Filipinos and their culture and ways of doing things. We foreigners, of course, know better than Filipinos, so why can't they do things in the Philippines like we do things in the U.S.? (<sarcasm!)

Not meaning any disrespect, but these type of things are thoroughly ingrained in their culture and there's little or nothing you can do to change it. We Americans (and other foreigners, I will presume) like to think we have control over our environments and that with a little diplomacy we can have things our way. I would guess the only way to "solve" this problem is to move. (I'm just being practical, not meaning to upset or be confrontational. We all know how that's viewed in the Philippines!)

I do hope everything works out. And I do understand your dilemma.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Within the last few months I read 2 news articles which involved only Filipinos.  In both cases a neighbor complained about a neighbor's loud music late at night and both men who complained were murdered by the man who was playing the loud music.  In the last case the man who complained did so because he couldn't sleep and needed to work the next day.  After the loud music stopped he went to sleep.  The man playing the loud music came into his house and shot him while he was sleeping.  The man was arrested for murder.  The wife of the murderer said their neighbor didn't have any right to complain about their loud music because he doesn't pay their electric bill.  What kind of screw up think is that?  Makes me think do I really want to live in this country if that's the way Filipinos think and act?

Wow!

The ability of some (not all) Filipinos to apply a perverted logic to any situation in order to satisfy themselves that they are the injured party in any dispute should never be under estimated.

Nor, of course, should their ability to brood on a grievance... waiting until the man was asleep and then shooting him...

Yes, but the irony is that this is not a Filipino thing - the OP's neighbor is Canadian!

To the OP - just offer the guy a case of Molson if he'd keep quiet. And make sure you throw in plenty of "ehs" in your conversation :)

Offer me a Molsons and I"d kick your butt!  Now make that a Keith's or Moosehead and I"d be happy!

Besides, it's not me - it's Dave you gotta bribe to keep the noise down!

:mocking:

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

In many cases I love the social attitude of the Filipino people. Untimely noise, being the downside to this friendly social behavior means adjustments need to be made. Let's face it; it's in the culture and you can't change the spots on a leopard so however you chose to roll with it or adjust accordingly, I believe it's how one prepares for this inevitability that can make the difference.

Absolutely true. This summed up much of my attitude while I was in the Philippines, and it made my life so much easier. I know that's little comfort when faced with constant noise problems.

But I didn't enjoy hanging out with most foreigners I met because they would constantly bash Filipinos and their culture and ways of doing things. We foreigners, of course, know better than Filipinos, so why can't they do things in the Philippines like we do things in the U.S.? (<sarcasm!)

Not meaning any disrespect, but these type of things are thoroughly ingrained in their culture and there's little or nothing you can do to change it. We Americans (and other foreigners, I will presume) like to think we have control over our environments and that with a little diplomacy we can have things our way. I would guess the only way to "solve" this problem is to move. (I'm just being practical, not meaning to upset or be confrontational. We all know how that's viewed in the Philippines!)

I do hope everything works out. And I do understand your dilemma.

Thanks John for you best wishes.

Decided to follow advice of a previous poster, plead understanding. The big whitey....my brother is very sick, need to call each night.

Do not really expect a long term solution how ever may give some grace.

Further will check out another place as seems to be pretty isolated compared to current one.

From all advice gratefully received it's kinda claro we cannot, guess have no rite also to demand or expect change. After all we are the visitors and if we don't like it .....take the alternative.

Will keep the forum posted on the progress and a big thanks for all the input.

Bruce

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Within the last few months I read 2 news articles which involved only Filipinos.  In both cases a neighbor complained about a neighbor's loud music late at night and both men who complained were murdered by the man who was playing the loud music.  In the last case the man who complained did so because he couldn't sleep and needed to work the next day.  After the loud music stopped he went to sleep.  The man playing the loud music came into his house and shot him while he was sleeping.  The man was arrested for murder.  The wife of the murderer said their neighbor didn't have any right to complain about their loud music because he doesn't pay their electric bill.  What kind of screw up think is that?  Makes me think do I really want to live in this country if that's the way Filipinos think and act?

Wow!

The ability of some (not all) Filipinos to apply a perverted logic to any situation in order to satisfy themselves that they are the injured party in any dispute should never be under estimated.

Nor, of course, should their ability to brood on a grievance... waiting until the man was asleep and then shooting him...

Yes, but the irony is that this is not a Filipino thing - the OP's neighbor is Canadian!

To the OP - just offer the guy a case of Molson if he'd keep quiet. And make sure you throw in plenty of "ehs" in your conversation :)

Offer me a Molsons and I"d kick your butt!  Now make that a Keith's or Moosehead and I"d be happy!

Besides, it's not me - it's Dave you gotta bribe to keep the noise down!

:mocking:

Unfortunately here too many people only consider themselves. Maybe if some of the laws in force here were implemented then these people might grow up. 

• Like 3

Alby
Posted
Posted

If I was anybody here, I wouldn't expect results, overnight, by trying to change something that's been ingrained in the culture of people for centuries.

It will backfire!

My Filipina gf for example, likes to use the radio at home and tunes it to some Filipino channel but ... Loudly :) She just enjoys having something banging in the air for no reason :)

One thing that gets on my nerves is that recorded sound of somebody laughing in the background. The 'hahahaha' sound every few seconds that I am positive you all have heard :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

As OP thought I would up date situation.

The owner of the duplex requested me from speaking to neighbors saying he would handle it.

Arrived back last night after being away for a week. Lo an behold around mid night it started and continued until 3am, talk some will power not to jump out of bed and confront them.

This am banged on their gate for some time, unfortunately they refused to come out. Next step called the owner whom promptly appeared. As per my opening post, he is extremely wealthy and well educated how ever for personal selfish reasons refused to inform me of the following.

This problem has been on going many years. Already with previous tenets from our duplex it has been before the barangay how ever with no results. When I told him strongly, don't you think you had an obligation to inform me when I handed you P70k .....the sheepish look only Filipinos can master.

After a rather heated discussion he assured me he will take care of the problem....trust me Bruce....yeh sure....Seems they play music all nite and sleep all day.

Sure one can play opera music loud during the day How ever I do not consider it advantageous going this route.

Looks like another move....

Another day in paradise but.....lovely day blue sky sun is shining!!!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Would it be possible to buy the place and kick them out? I mean, you being one of us rich foreigners and all  :tiphat:

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

Would it be possible to buy the place and kick them out? I mean, you being one of us rich foreigners and all  :tiphat:

Ha Ha like that Dave...

Am seriously rethinking my previous intention to ever buy property here.

Just to many ifs....

At least now can and will be moving on. 

the latest is neighbours say I must adjust my schedule to suit theres. meaning I must sleep during the day and work all night...

Is there any common sense at with these people? Time like these its a big NO NO NO

• Like 1