Noisy Neighbours

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Would it be possible to buy the place and kick them out? I mean, you being one of us rich foreigners and all  :tiphat:

Ha Ha like that Dave...

Am seriously rethinking my previous intention to ever buy property here.

Just to many ifs....

At least now can and will be moving on. 

the latest is neighbours say I must adjust my schedule to suit theres. meaning I must sleep during the day and work all night...

Is there any common sense at with these people? Time like these its a big NO NO NO

"Is there any common sense at with these people?"

After being married to and living with Asians since 1970 I can tell you that Asian's minds do not operate the same as Western minds.  In many cases their minds operate backwards from Western minds.  I can give you many examples but this is not the right topic for that so here are just two, Westerners will say I will be there at 1 or 2 PM, Asians will say, I will be there at 2 or 1 PM.  Give a Westerner a piece of string and a piece of wood to wind it up on.  If the Westerner and Asian are both right handed the Westerner will hold the wood in the left hand and wind the string in a clockwise direction, the Asian will hold the wood in the left hand but will wind the string in a counterclockwise direction.

Asian reverse thinking is why its not the responsibility of the person who is making loud noise at night to correct their behavior, its the responsibility of everyone who the noise is bothering to correct their behavior so the noise doesn't bother them.  As my wife said, Filipinos believe they have the right to make all the noise they want to.  If the noise bothers you then you are the one with a problem, not the one who is making the noise.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

A friend lives in the extremely expensive Ayala Land development at Anvaya Cove. His house is delightful and seemingly secluded...own swimming pool, wooded grounds, etc.

None the less he is thinking of moving - the nearest house to his is empty during the week but used as a "party house" at weekends by a family who live in Makati - the noise is deafening and no, polite representations have had no effect. 

You would have to be at least a US$ millionaire to think of living there.

Americano
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have solved the problem of noisy neighbors and fiestas that play loud music all night.  We go to sleep at about 5 or 6 each day.  No, not PM I'm talking about AM.  We stay awake all night and sleep during the day.  We wake up in the afternoon when you can make all the noise you want to because we are busy making our own noise.  Its the Filipino way.

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have solved the problem of noisy neighbors and fiestas that play loud music all night.  We go to sleep at about 5 or 6 each day.  No, not PM I'm talking about AM.  We stay awake all night and sleep during the day.  We wake up in the afternoon when you can make all the noise you want to because we are busy making our own noise.  Its the Filipino way.

The "When in Rome..." approach certainly can work to your advantage sometimes. I see your point :541:

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

This is exactly what my landlord instructed me to do at yesterday's meeting. Do my work all night and sleep all day.

Although he is articulate, well educated having been CO of large companies he failed to recognize my issue. When I suggest we exchange beds, (he lives very near by) there was a stony silence. Question repeated and again silence.

Even pointing out no tenant will stay here made no difference, as Americano says it's me that has the problem.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Well one this is for sure, your not gonna beat 'em EVER. So you might as well join 'em.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

This is exactly what my landlord instructed me to do at yesterday's meeting. Do my work all night and sleep all day.

Although he is articulate, well educated having been CO of large companies he failed to recognize my issue. When I suggest we exchange beds, (he lives very near by) there was a stony silence. Question repeated and again silence.

Even pointing out no tenant will stay here made no difference, as Americano says it's me that has the problem.

Isn't this similar to blame the victim not the perpetrator?  When a woman is raped blame her for being raped and say you should have kept your legs closed.  What kind of people think like this?  Are they ignorant or just stupid?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What kind of people think like this?  Are they ignorant or just stupid?

They are the kind of people who just don't give a sh&t about their tenants problems.  They figure you can rent it or not, its up to you, and if you don't then move along and somebody else will . . or not, they really don't care.  All they really care about is you don't try and make your problems (as a tenant) into their problems (as a landlord).

If there was an enforced landlord/tenant act then there would be changes but nah, not when court cases drag on for 10 years.

Why do I have this opinion?  I was a landlord in Canada.  Where I lived the landlord/tenant act was enforced, enforced quickly, and enforced most oftne in favor of the tenant.  Thus I had a vested interest in making the tenants happy.  Without that I would have had the same attitude as the Philippine landlords.

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

The President did sign a Reduction of Noise Act which may be useful in these situations but you may still need to get a lawyer involved because I doubt that most police have heard of the Act.

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Why not offer to rent the house next door and then relet it to QUIET friends? Or offer the landlord a "bonus" for every quiet month?

Edited by Curley