Noisy Neighbours

RBM
Posted
Posted

Now, any suggestions on having some of my 6 months pre paid rent returned be appreciated. We have been here 6 weeks and very sleep deprived..... First will discuss with landlord, if no joy as expected, guess either barangay captain . or an attorney.

Prepaying 6 months in advance was a big mistake. 1st month, last month, 1 month sec deposit - 3 months maximum advance. I know some of these characters demand it, just keep looking. I would try to reason with the landlord but in the likely event he refuses, I would let it go. The barangay would probably take many months to resolve and I don't think you would win. An attorney would be more money wasted. Sleep deprivation can wreak havoc on your system and affect judgement. Proceed carefully. Move asap.

Correct Mike, still kicking myself over it. Bad mistake, was not demanded just landlord and his wife so extreme nickel an dimming, wanted be done with it not see them again.

Worst part though was they knew very well the neighbors made noise all night and said nothing, crazy as they must of known I would complain.

Will try get something back more important move soon as we can.

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

Dump and forget is my rule.

Dump and remember is my rule. You don't want to do the same again.

By forgetting it I meant not to dwell on it.

Remember. The main thing is you live good. Money comes and goes ...

Otherwise, what's the point behind living :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

RBM, they knew you would complain, the thing is, they knew whoever rented the place would complain and to get the rent it was something they were willing to accept. For the same amount of money I would probably be willing to listen to your complaints, nod and do nothing.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

RBM, they knew you would complain, the thing is, they knew whoever rented the place would complain and to get the rent it was something they were willing to accept. For the same amount of money I would probably be willing to listen to your complaints, nod and do nothing.

Good point, we have been discussing exactly this. They knew we would complain, why would they rent it to us, accept advance payment knowing the inevitable results. Is it typical short term thinking or perhaps they thought maybe, just maybe no complaints....

We met with landlord an his wife today, after listening to them lecture me how I was the only one ever to complain my turn came.

Satisfaction was watching his face while I let him read his text which he sent me some weeks ago. Stating he had enough of this tenant as had already been in the barangay court over the noise. Talk about loss of face which I did not rub in. This definitely gave us an advantage in negotiations which were amicable reached.

Fortunately his wife and my GF seem to hit it off very well, accordingly decided let them work it out. End result we get a refund, our total loss will be 6 weeks rent so a lesson learned.

Preferably 1 month advance and 1 month security deposit.

How ever no amount of due diligence can prepare one for the unexpected!!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My Noisy neighbours have learned the hard way over two years ( We built, so we will Not move) You keep me up 1 night and my dogs are left out for 4 nights and they are very noisy dogs. You would be Surprised at how they now will tell us when they are going to have a Noisy Night, Now this, I can Cope with. Communication & Give and take are the keywords.

"Do unto others" Comes to mind here. Like the Joke, if I they had a fence I would put My Dogs in their yard Under their Windows.

JP :)

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Now, any suggestions on having some of my 6 months pre paid rent returned be appreciated. We have been here 6 weeks and very sleep deprived..... First will discuss with landlord, if no joy as expected, guess either barangay captain . or an attorney.

Prepaying 6 months in advance was a big mistake. 1st month, last month, 1 month sec deposit - 3 months maximum advance. I know some of these characters demand it, just keep looking. I would try to reason with the landlord but in the likely event he refuses, I would let it go. The barangay would probably take many months to resolve and I don't think you would win. An attorney would be more money wasted. Sleep deprivation can wreak havoc on your system and affect judgement. Proceed carefully. Move asap.

Correct Mike, still kicking myself over it. Bad mistake, was not demanded just landlord and his wife so extreme nickel an dimming, wanted be done with it not see them again.

Worst part though was they knew very well the neighbors made noise all night and said nothing, crazy as they must of known I would complain.

Will try get something back more important move soon as we can.

Don't feel too bad, RBM.  We had noise problems in an apartment so we broke the lease(lost deposit) and we moved into a duplex compound, of which all the tenants were school teachers (as is my wife).  We were so happy and optimistic of a respectful, quiet, professional place.  LOL.  We had to leave after 2 months because of the noise (lost deposit again).  But we only lost a security deposit equal to one months rent, each time.  It's a hard lesson for you, RBM, but never pay more than first month rent and one month security..or 2X rent to move in.  If it's furnished you will pay 3X, which is understandable. They always will ask more, but you need to negotiate that....as it rare to get your deposit back.  It's already spent the day you paid it.  We rent from my wife's cousin and we have painted most of the interior and done other low-cost improvements. We are not expecting to get the deposit back.  :)  

• Like 3

Julia
Posted
Posted
The wife of the murderer said their neighbor didn't have any right to complain about their loud music because he doesn't pay their electric bill

:no: :no: :no:

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
never pay more than first month rent and one month security..or 2X rent to move in.  If it's furnished you will pay 3X, which is understandable. They always will ask more, but you need to negotiate that....as it rare to get your deposit back.  It's already spent the day you paid it

That is a good point, which many foreigners miss.  

• Like 1

Julia
Posted
Posted
The carabao would stare at me. There was also the matter of the giant 6 foot tall penis shaped mud sculptures. You don't see that every day. :hystery:

:mocking:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Bottom line is:

When in Rome learn how to eat Pasta, 'cuase they sure aren't gonna start eating grits to please you! :tiphat:

• Like 1