Noisy Neighbours

Americano
Posted
Posted

Most landlords in the Philippines will not give the deposit back to you unless you force them to in some way.  When my wife and I moved the landlord said she didn't have to give the deposit back to us but my wife gave her hell about it for a couple of months until she finally gave in.  Our neighbors moved at the same time and got their deposit back by taking some of the furniture with them to their new apartment.  Maybe the furniture was worth more than the deposit because the landlord returned their deposit.  The renters before them knew the landlords wouldn't return their deposit so they didn't pay any rent the last 2 months.  In your case you couldn't do this and we couldn't either because we moved due to earthquake damage to the building.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

+1 on the consume the deposit, if possible. I think that is how the game is played and possibly the landlords are laughing at us because we are so inept at the game. :tiphat:

Edited by robert k

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yup! I know someone who hit the 3 month no payments this month. Next month to go and then they move... The landlord got them with 2 months deposit and 2 months in advance.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Most landlords in the Philippines will not give the deposit back to you unless you force them to in some way.  When my wife and I moved the landlord said she didn't have to give the deposit back to us but my wife gave her hell about it for a couple of months until she finally gave in.  Our neighbors moved at the same time and got their deposit back by taking some of the furniture with them to their new apartment.  Maybe the furniture was worth more than the deposit because the landlord returned their deposit.  The renters before them knew the landlords wouldn't return their deposit so they didn't pay any rent the last 2 months.  In your case you couldn't do this and we couldn't either because we moved due to earthquake damage to the building.

Seems it's possible for wife of GF to have deposit returned at times. Personally I have never had any luck. Previous place I told my GF if your able get you keep it, took a week or two but it was returned. I did not involve how ever there was a lot of calls and discussions.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I've received all 4 of my deposits back in full with no problem. You can avoid a lot of these problems by carefully evaluating the landlord/owner and talking to present and previous tenants. Most of the fubars happen because people rush, they're afraid they're going to lose the deal, then they wish they had.

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

My first landlord deducted utilities from my utilities deposit and gave it back to me. I gave her a tip for being honest.

The second one, a Kano, told me not to pay last two months rent since I had paid it already (deposit) but asked me to keep paying utilities. Since I had doubts he'd pay me back the 10k utilities deposit I moved out before the end of contract to another place. Worst case I could lose few 1000s if I was right.

This current landlord wanted 3 months rent in cash plus dated checks for the remainder 11 months!

I gave him the 3 months cash without a receipt and even signed a pretty much blank contract!

He then, on his own, gave me a receipt and notarized the contract with his lawyer and gave me a copy.

He allowed me to put whatever I bought in the unfurnished unit 3 weeks before even moving in officially.

It's not a perfect place since I can tell if the neighbor is doing face book or not but it doesn't happen very often.

I didn't mind if things went bad coz I said, the Philippines is an experiment to me and I could just cross the whole country out if I decide to bail out. Losing few 1000s is not the issue here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is how a noise dispute was settled a few days ago.  :unsure:

A grudge is being eyed as the motive behind the fatal shooting of an upholstery shop owner in Cebu province on Tuesday.

The victim, identified as Romualdo Atong, was shot inside his shop in Miag-ao town, GMA Cebu's Joecel Huesca reported.

Helper Tobias Ascura Jr. said the assailant – who the report identified as Donal Mosquette, 33 – fled immediately after shooting Atong.

Atong succumbed to five gunshot wounds. He left behind a widow and four children.

An initial investigation showed Mosquette had complained that the shop was playing the radio too loudly. The issue was brought before the barangay.

Miag-ao police head Inspector Ceferino Gelpe said the suspect is now at large.

"(Hindi) siya natin nahuli kagabi dahil kaagad itong sumakay sa motorsiklo niya na umalis," he said. 

Americano
Posted
Posted

A grudge is being eyed as the motive behind the fatal shooting of an upholstery shop owner in Cebu province on Tuesday.

The victim, identified as Romualdo Atong, was shot inside his shop in Miag-ao town, GMA Cebu's Joecel Huesca reported.

Helper Tobias Ascura Jr. said the assailant – who the report identified as Donal Mosquette, 33 – fled immediately after shooting Atong.

Atong succumbed to five gunshot wounds. He left behind a widow and four children.

An initial investigation showed Mosquette had complained that the shop was playing the radio too loudly. The issue was brought before the barangay.

"(Hindi) siya natin nahuli kagabi dahil kaagad itong sumakay sa motorsiklo niya na umalis," he said. 

When laws are not enforced by the police then people will take some kind of action when they reach their breaking point and everyone has a breaking point.

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

I have mostly been lucky with deposits and bills, the only person to try and steal from me, was a rich Filipino landlord, who was a member of the Makati Business Club. So I took all the fixtures and fittings until he paid my deposits back!

Or should I say, my wife took all the fixtures and fittings, until her deposits were paid back. (after all the lease was in her name, not mine!)

I of course would never do such a thing!

Her family was from a squatters barangay, and her family owned nothing, with no bank accounts etc. so the landlord would have gotten nothing from them, even if they could find them in Phase 1, Bangong Silang, Caloocan, or were brave enough to try!

When in Rome.....,

Papa Carl

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/382797/news/regions/cebu-upholstery-shop-owner-gunned-down-grudge-eyed-as-motive

Jollygoodfellow, after enduring on and off noise during the last 6 weeks...10pm ----3am can well understand the actions.

Really this could drive the best of us to temporary insanity. Fortunately we expect to move next week.

As many posters have advised, cut losses and get out.

• Like 2